Re: Mass Effect Andromeda officially dead...

by Skauron

Original Post

Hero

I'm fine with them not releasing any DLC, but I think it's outrageous that they're dropping support when some major bugs have still not been fixed. For instance 'hold to sprint' still doesn't work properly (the character keeps sprinting after you release the sprint key) and 'toggle to sprint' only toggles off if you press the sprint key while not pressing any movement keys, otherwise the character keeps sprinting until they fall down a chasm. I've never played a game with such an awkward control scheme to make a character run faster. It's a shame that such basic functionality will not be implemented after all this time.

Unlike some this won't make me dislike BioWare. I'm looking forward to what Mark Darrah's team has in store for Dragon Age 4.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 11 of 119 (2,976 Views)

★ Pro

Yeah, now it's official. I had hoped they'd change their minds but I guess they've decided that ME:A is dead in the water and they just will keep it afloat after stop gapping the most important issues. It's floating. It's a pretty good game but it's not going anywhere. I am ticked off at the lack of dlc because there are stil a lot of loose ends and I wonder if this story arc will actually end up getting  a sequel now. Clearly this statement means that they feel this new approach failed. Pretty sure also the merchandise of ME:A doesn't even come close to the original N7 stuff in sales.

The way this statement is written makes me believe that they see the ME:A direction as a failure on a conceptual level and whatever they may have had as ideas for sequels, may never see the light of day.

The last part of their message reads:

We appreciate all the millions of people who came with us to the Andromeda galaxy. We hope to see you again in the Mass Effect universe.

So I guess they still sold millions of copies as we knew and decided that's as good as it was going to get. Initially it read to me as if they were sort of not sure if they were every going to touch ME again after this, but after thinking about it for a bit, it seems to me that this is the closest we'll get to an apology.

I now read it as: thanks for those who bought it in spite of everything that went wrong with the game and we hope it hasn't soured you for the future.

My biggest concern here is this: BW seems to be very much into Anthem. If it is successful it may not be a good thing for ME and DA to be honest. On the one hand it may be fine because they'll bring it out and then can decide how to divide their resources for the next 10 years giving them a more solid basis for multiple IPs. In the end they have opened more studios and you don't generally do that to just support one game but then if it really becomes successful and they want to bring out content for it regularly they may end up pulling resources from all studios.

So maybe as a customer it's better for me if Anthem fails?

Don't like having to think like this though.

Message 12 of 119 (2,971 Views)

★ Apprentice

It just shows that EA does not give a rats * about the fan base. It's all about money! No surprises there I guess.

"Well we will not spend any cash on additional SP content, because why should we? But we still want YOU to spend some cash, so just give us more money in the commission for the comic books and novels. Great deal... from our stand point!"

I am a massive Mass Effect fan. I have turned all my friends into fans as well. For me... it's like a personal defeat. It's too bad that EA can see us players as living and breathing wallets.

Message 13 of 119 (2,955 Views)

★★★ Pro

so they make us sleep for 600 years.. in cryo sleep, wake us all up in an unfamiliar galaxy that looks nothing like brochures said it would look and now they want to put us all on ice again?!?!?!?

Message 14 of 119 (2,946 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@RamirezKRK-PL wrote:

It just shows that EA does not give a rats * about the fan base. It's all about money! No surprises there I guess.

"Well we will not spend any cash on additional SP content, because why should we? But we still want YOU to spend some cash, so just give us more money in the commission for the comic books and novels. Great deal... from our stand point!"

I am a massive Mass Effect fan. I have turned all my friends into fans as well. For me... it's like a personal defeat. It's too bad that EA can see us players as living and breathing wallets.

My wallet has slammed shut, since $$ is the only thing they understand.

I dont care what other ME games or any other games they do. Untill Andromeda is given its proper completion in game form, not stupid comics and books - its staying zipped uo tightly, not another cent from me and I know I am not the only one done with EA.

The MEA direction was not the failure. Not taking longer to complete the game properly,  supporting it properly now with the rest of the patches it should have had months ago and not giving it dlc, those are the failures. The game itself, bar a few odd animations, was very solid with a very promising new future and mysteries to solve.

So mad they are dropping MEA.

Message 15 of 119 (2,939 Views)

The buggy launch and animation memes hit sales figures.

The game likely sold enough to wash its face, but not enough for the install base to justify making DLC.

I don't like it, but I understand it.

The way marketing and communications have been handled have not been great in my view.

Mostly following BioWare & Star Wars games. Old timer. Helping out here does not mean I work for EA so I don't have all the answers. Also hangs out on BSN. 

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 16 of 119 (2,928 Views)

★★★ Novice

Although it's completely unsurprising to me, I'm seriously disappointed in EA on this one specifically.

They spent a lot of development time, reeled in a lot of fans and customers in order to market the Mass Effect franchise, introducing a fresh new galaxy- spent a meager amount of development time correcting a few bugs that should have been fixed before release... then turned around and slammed the door in everyone's faces afterward with no DLC whatsoever.

Count me out for any and all future releases from EA. Been disappointed too many times now to continue as a loyal customer.

Three franchises that I've been a part of since the beginning- then had my hopes dashed...

Earth and Beyond

Dragon Age

Mass Effect

And they wonder why they have a reputation for acquiring and destroying game franchises? Doesn't take a degree in Theoretical Physics to do the math on this one.

Message 17 of 119 (2,911 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

From Wikpedia:

On December 19, 2013, EA was hit with a class action lawsuit over the bugs in the Battlefield 4 DLC. EA issued a statement regarding the various issues and bugs of the game and promised players that these issues would be fixed before the launch of the next generation consoles. This was not the case as players on both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One had the same problems. The problems were so severe that they made certain parts of the game unplayable due to campaign save files being corrupted and players being unable to start or join multiplayer servers. Players expressed their outrage on the forums of Battlelog, EA Answers HQ and social news sites such as Reddit.[101] EA DICE responded by apologizing for the bugs and promising that they would halt all production of the release of new DLC packages until they fixed the various problems.

I am now afraid EA has committed gaming suicide. 

I or us players have never received any statements regarding bugs in Andromeda. The sound bug is a major problem, seems to be Frostbite engine wide. In the Origin survey from some time back, I stated that players were unhappy with some of the bugs in ME3. That we were not inclined to buy Andromeda right away. Well, we did. Dedicated Mass Effect players. Now what......

This fix it on the go or patch it on the go has to stop. We all understand that there will be some bugs in a new release, this was beyond that. There needs to be more pregame testing by the public. I would be willing to sign a gag order or nondisclosure order for pregame testing. I would have been willing to wait a year or longer to avoid this heartbreaking mess. I would think that EA would have learned from the past.

. With that said, the performance of the game has improved a lot from the first patch. The new maps are great. There is a lot more that can be done.

I have loved some of the titles and franchises over the years Medal of Honor, Crysis , Dead Space and so on. I hope I can enjoy new ones in the future.

Message 18 of 119 (2,901 Views)

★ Guide

So, it finally happened as every sane person here has expected and expressed for months: EA killed its own IP, Mass Effect (Andromeda).
Thanks for spitting in the face of the customers.

How can one fail so utterly with one of the greatest IPs of recent time?

FUBAR EA

Message 19 of 119 (2,888 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Am i dissapointed sure, but it has happened but it wont stop me from playing this game when i want or feel like doing so. Now each of us have opinions on the whole no DLC thing and the whole novel/comics thing but for me i'm fine with it i'm one of many people who like to read as well as play games and so forth. Still now with CH back in the loop let's hope year's down the line if/whenever we get another me game this does not happen but i wouldn't be hopeful that it won't really.

Message 20 of 119 (2,887 Views)