Original Post

Mass Effect Andromeda Single Player Story DLC

★★★★ Novice

https://www.change.org/p/bioware-dlc-for-mass-effect-andromeda

close to 11,000 signatures and growing.

Still hoping for a big story DLC.

Message 1 of 16 (4,518 Views)

Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Single Player Story DLC

I would love this to happen....but honestly don't hold your breath.  EA disbanded the studio that made MEA.....personal speculation of mine is for gross incompetence in messing up a game over such a long period of time that they ended up releasing the mess that MEA was at launch, even after 5 years of work.....and since they disbanded the studio a new team would have to be brought in updated on story and system and put to work.  This to me means more money on a game that EA feels is a failure due to the absolute crapstorm that happened around launch.  While MEA wasn't perfect by any means, it didn't deserve the rep it got or the pounding delivered by reviewers and youtubers.  I feel some of this was due to ME3 left over hate, EA hate and a mediocre game at launch from a AAA studio that should have produced a better product.......

Wish EA/Bioware would produce the DLC but don't hold your breath.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 16 (4,476 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I'm not holding my breath, I'm just very hopeful. It seems to me that EA hasn't realized how good Mass Effect franchise/universe is..

Message 3 of 16 (4,470 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

11k signatures. Let me know when there's 11 million and a company like EA might take notice.

I arrived a little late to the Andromeda party, but after doing some research, watching interviews, reading umpteen player and critic reviews, after putting in over 400 hrs into the game myself, I can now say with all certainty that much of the criticism this game has gotten is or was warranted. As someone said above, a triple-A studio putting out what they purported to be a AAA title should have come up with something better than what we got.

Thankfully I avoided the pre-order blues with this one, got it on sale recently instead, patched to the latest and final 1.10.... and the game is, although playable, and somewhat enjoyable, still rife with problems.

But buried under the weight of the mass of ridicule and criticism over their mass gaff, what does EA decide to do? Oh that's right, pick up their toys and go home. Cancelling the series. (putting it "on hold" as they put it). How utterly childish of them. Fact is there are millions of loyal ME fans who are interested in a new sequel in this series, lots of money to be made for all companies involved, but only if they get their collective heads out of their collective butts and DO IT RIGHT.

I have trouble believing they can't find a team of top game devs who aren't familiar with Mass Effect enough to do a new sequel justice. Are today's developers, designers, writers, etc really that ignorant of their own craft? Say it ain't so.

Message 4 of 16 (4,415 Views)

Hero

EA is a publicly traded company, so I doubt they'll respond to petitions. If those 11k people were shareholders, that would be a different matter.

Right now BioWare are working on Anthem and Dragon Age 4. I think Dragon Age 4 will most likely be a big success. I'm curious what they'll do with Anthem because it seems like they intended to rely on loot boxes, which is a mistake I doubt they'll repeat after Battlefront II. I still expect there will be a new Mass Effect game after Dragon Age 4.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 5 of 16 (4,404 Views)

★ Pro

They officially cancelled the DLC for this game so I think petitions aren't going to help much.

I still have hopes that Mass Effect will return one day but I think by that time an Andromeda 2 might not be the way to go. I think it has too much of a negative connotation for most people.

Maybe by then a reboot would be more to the point but I'm not sure if continuing with Ryder is a good idea. The character concept is so weak that I don't see it support a trilogy or even a second part.

The whole Pathfinder idea just doesn't really work. A superhuman explorer because you have a dangerous AI implant with an otherwise forgettable character personality means that the only thing that makes you special is an AI that talks too much and revives you from the dead as a virtual jesus. 

I put it very crudely but it's how I see the concept. Working for a company that goes exploring but actually is going colonising without a proper military approach is also just not realistic. "Yeah but it looked peaceful 600 years ago" is just a really naive approach. I could go on but you get my point. It was just a weak concept and it cannot carry a series in the future because of it in my view.

If they want to continue in Andromeda they need to find a different protagonist with a much stronger concept or reboot this one in a much improved way. 

For me Andromeda is a one off game that doesn't need to be continued, in spite of it missing various story lines that it started. DLC would've been very welcome for that (the family secret, the kett, the remnant, the quarian ark). At this point I just don't really care about that and I guess at least the quarian ark will be dealt with in a book. So that's kind of a way to kill the DLC as well. 

I think it's just best to let it go as BioWare did.

Message 6 of 16 (4,305 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Bioware should bring Andromeda and Milky-way together in the next game. Make it 100/700 years in the future, with some flashbacks into the missing story from Andromeda game.

Build a giant mass-relay around a black hole to travel between galaxies??

Message 7 of 16 (4,289 Views)

★ Pro

@Ultimate-Dima wrote:

Bioware should bring Andromeda and Milky-way together in the next game. Make it 100/700 years in the future, with some flashbacks into the missing story from Andromeda game.

Just one slight issue. You may remember that Mass Effect 3 had multiple endings, so which version of the Milky Way should they connect to? I'm pretty sure that no matter which one they pick, there will be a crapstorm of complaints. I mean it does kinda make a difference if the races still exist individually or whether they got that shared DNA which is basically biotech in nature.

Message 8 of 16 (4,276 Views)

Hero

@EgoMania wrote:

@Ultimate-Dima wrote:

Just one slight issue. You may remember that Mass Effect 3 had multiple endings, so which version of the Milky Way should they connect to? I'm pretty sure that no matter which one they pick, there will be a crapstorm of complaints. I mean it does kinda make a difference if the races still exist individually or whether they got that shared DNA which is basically biotech in nature.

I've thought about this and I believe the three endings (not counting the one where everybody dies) can be railroaded.

Destroy - The Reapers are gone. The galactic civilizations work together to rebuild what was lost.

Control - The Reapers make repairs, then fly into a sun.

Synthesis - The Reapers make repairs, then fly into a sun. Synthesis causes complications in all lifeforms, whose bodies reject synthesis, causing everyone and everything to revert to normal.

A theory I had while playing Mass Effect Andromeda was that the species in Andromeda originate from the Milky Way since they are humanoid and use technology similar to ours. While this turned out not to be the case, I still think a similar idea could be used. One way to bridge the games is if ark ships left after the Andromeda Initiative but arrived sooner due to technological advancements.

I hereby give BioWare and EA permission to use these ideas. Wink

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 9 of 16 (4,238 Views)

★ Pro

Yeah, I dunno Fred. Though valiant attempts, you still have to basically make the past forgotten because you have 3 of them. Three possible futures is one thing since they haven't happened yet as the game ends with that choice.

But 3 different pasts is a little harder to explain so you'll have to make it all go away and I think a lot of people will complain about it. I mean the whole Shepard story would have to be more obscure than the Protheans ever were.

Ideally you'd need some cataclysmic event that makes the previous 3 possible pasts irrelevant for one and the same reason and not different ones and this event would have to wipe out any knowledge except perhaps the most rudimentary bits to ensure it all at least looks like one past. 

And then you'd have to explain how this cataclysmic event didn't wipe out life till the point of extinction because if people survived, why would they've forgotten the past?

It's just all a bit too iffy in my view to even touch for them. 

I think unfortunate as it may be it's best to leave the Shepard story alone and focus on something different unless it's an actual reboot perhaps. But I wonder if BioWare is even wanting to touch the Shepard story again. For me an enhanced trilogy with all the DLC is something I'd happily spend money on for example and that may be enough.

As for the Andromeda tangent, well, the Heleus cluster has become a bit of a cluster f*** in my view so we also need to get away from the Ryder story. I just don't think that the Pathfinder angle really worked. Maybe we can start at a point where the AI has fallen apart with some Kett wars and the new protagonist is leading what's left of the survivors to the area where the Remnant originated to start over. The Quarian ark would've already arrived so we have the old races back on board as well and we would've lost a big battle with the Kett that we just escaped from but as the Kett would've suffered significant losses they don't have the momentum to pursue us. 

Then in this new refuge (the old home of the creators of the Remnant who have died out ages ago) we discover that they already experimented with creating life and we find more local races that are perhaps a bit more flawed and we can decide to help them evolve, survive, or even fight them. That way we could sort of build a new cluster of alliances, or occupation or destroy some of them to see how we can build the strongest society to fight the Kett who one day will find us and try to take revenge on us no doubt.

Perhaps you lead people to freedom from the Kett but politics started brewing even before arriving and while you are out trying to strike new alliances, subjugate people or whatever you see as right, you may find your own people splitting in factions and depending on your choices they will side with you or be against you. 

I would like the idea of having a power base that's split that you try to go along with you but they won't all play nice and they will also form their opinions based on your decisions in dealing with other races on new planets and in general. So you're basically trying to build two alliances at the same time: your home base and between the planets if you know what I mean.

This setting could be used as much for a new single player game as a mmo style game if that's the idea for the future. In that respect it could even open up playing different races and not just genders as anybody could be the one who lead us to relative safety.

So maybe people find this a terrible idea and that's ok lol, but I think that BioWare may not be keen on revisiting the Shepard era. Hence my attempt to give Andromeda another chance but in a way that might make it more interesting (well that's my personal view of course hehe).

Message 10 of 16 (4,210 Views)