Manual transmission still useless - we need more button layouts

by Jabberwocky79

Original Post

Manual transmission still useless - we need more button layouts

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Dear Ghost, thank you for the recent bug fixes.

Please clearly understand something: Despite tweaking the input settings of the left and right shoulder buttons, the issues with selecting manual gears are not fixed.

Trying to shift using these buttons requires you to take your index finger off the throttle trigger, click the RT shoulder button, then depress the throttle again. Doing this will initiate a drift. The only other way is to pull the throttle trigger using your middle finger, and crowd your index finger into the tight space in order to click the shoulder button with it. NEITHER option is acceptable. How can you not see this? Pardon the bite, but do you guys have octopuses doing your play-testing?

We need optional button layouts, or fully configurable button mapping.

On an XBox controller (Xbox & PC): Gear selection needs to be moved to the 'Y' and 'B' buttons.

Optionally, gear selection could be moved to the right thumbstick - moving it up and down.

Everyone not named Ghost and who actually wants to shift your car: Please "Me Too" this post....  If you are on PS4, then spell out exactly what button layouts are needed. maybe we will get their attention if it's completely spelled out for them.

Message 1 of 8 (809 Views)

Re: Manual transmission still useless - we need more button layouts

★★★ Apprentice

Hello,

Xbox One X with G920 wheel here.

Ghost, can you make fully configurable wheel support.

Would not be more comfortable to configure buttons to be mapped on RB/LB etc. for some users ?

Message 2 of 8 (772 Views)

★ Novice

PC with logitech G29. It's great when your Clutch is your GAS and you can't do a thing about it.

Message 3 of 8 (750 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Seriously all they need to do is give us the same preset options that were given to us in Payback. That simple. 

They've literally been using some of the same aspects of the game for 3 or 4 titles now. Like its the very same as previous games. Yet they decided to just go and change the manual controller layout to something that in my opinion, is totally unplayable. Call me petty, but I didn't buy the game to use an automatic transmission. It's just not as fun. /endrant

Message 4 of 8 (734 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Different presets is better than nothing. But what is better is just make it 100%, done. I hate PB presets. Thought one day they would leave it up to us but they never did. Why is this such a huge deal to not add? You need to be a rocket scientist to add this feature? They spent their time on fixing cut scenes? Which most just brush off their shoulder or didn't even notice. Maybe their improvements list was just a seat filler because no one really cares. It is about the priorities that needs to be straightened.

Message 5 of 8 (703 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Completely agree. I would almost go as far as to say it almost ruins the game and I really wish I knew this before I bought it. I was already so used to shifting with the right stick and it was a flawless system, I have no idea why they changed it. NFS PLEASE implement presets that include the old method of shifting or just completely customizable layouts.

Message 6 of 8 (685 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Haven’t played the game since the first 30 minutes of buying it.
It’s unplayable with the current controller layout.
Clearly no one tested the game whilst using manual gears. Crazy that this simple option to customise the controller isn’t there.

I’ve been playing NFS since as early as I can remember. After this, I can’t see myself buying another game in the series unless this is fixed :/

Message 7 of 8 (648 Views)

★★★ Guide
@ChrisRValentine The sad part of it is, this wasn't an issue in Payback! We had no way of knowing about the controller layout in Heat until the game was released, and had no reason to assume it would not be the same as in Payback. That's what blows my mind in all of this.
Message 8 of 8 (636 Views)