Low Profile’s Place in Apex Legends

by Axs5626Sxa5001

Original Post

Low Profile’s Place in Apex Legends

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

Do you feel like Respawn is using Low Profile correctly in Apex?

In theory and intention, Low Profile seems like a feasible way to address the hitbox variance amongst the  Legends (something they should have thought about at the game’s inception, but whatever).

But I still feel like the dev’s are using it to manipulate pick rates rather than it being consistent with in-game factors and character attributes.

For example, Horizon has a hitbox that is actually smaller than Lifeline and Wattson, and doesn’t have LP; that’s not even factoring in Horizon’s movement capabilities. Why on earth do Lifeline and Wattson have LP and Horizon not?

And then there is Pathfinder. I am extremely happy they are removing LP this upcoming Tuesday but why on earth did we have to wait this long? It just seems like it should have been a no-brainer to remove LP when they increased his hitbox by 20%. I’m not making millions of dollars as a developer and even I knew that “large character” + “low profile” = the character suffering unnecessarily.

And for anyone who suggests that taking increased damage isn’t that significant, I would have you consider that it’s not the increased damage alone thats so impactful, it’s taking increased body damage on ALL parts of the body that is the difference maker. 

TL;DR

Low Profile’s implementation has felt inconsistent. 

Message 1 of 7 (316 Views)

Re: Low Profile’s Place in Apex Legends

★★ Expert

@Axs5626Sxa5001 Low Profile doesn't have a place in Apex, not because of whatever you're complaining about, but rather because it doesn't do anything and you're just feeling a nocebo effect. Even with the change from leg damage to body damage, it's not doing anything. How often are you getting shot in the legs? If being shot in the legs has a tremendous impact, are you shooting people in the legs? Why do you think Wraith remained top-picked for 7 and a half seasons despite having Low Profile? 

There were better ways of nerfing characters that were "too strong". Low Profile wasn't it, because it doesn't do anything.

Message 2 of 7 (300 Views)

★★★★ Pro
@pastaclown

Totally disagree. I have been playing Path forever (40k+ kills on him). But I enjoy playing other characters as well and I 100% feel the difference with regard to how fast I’m being melted. Shooting people in the limbs is very common in any FPS. Taking full damage on limbs is a big deal; especially when skill is relatively close between players.
Message 3 of 7 (287 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Expert

@Axs5626Sxa5001 Go get a friend, go into the firing range, have them pick a character with Low Profile and record yourself killing them only hitting bodyshots. Have them switch off that character and onto one without Low Profile, and not a Fortified character. Use the same weapon, aim for the body, and record again. When you're shooting, stand right on top of them, making sure that you're not letting distance to target affect your calculations. All calculations done below are done with a calculator, with distance to target set at 0. 

Put the two clips side by side, start timing each clip when the first round is fired, and compare times. 

I guarantee you're not feeling anything other than a nocebo. Weapons like, Spitfire, R301, LSTAR, R99, P2020 and Flatline, it's a very, extremely minute difference. Nowhere near as pronounced as you claim. Something like the Longbow, with its 0.7 second decrease is really noticeable however. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14Hpz6rodyHEg5CnkbO-zipeS23r78-8HMrcnkQxj7ho/edit?usp=sharing

Message 4 of 7 (278 Views)

★★ Pro
@pastaclown I still play Path time to time, I die because of my mistakes not because he has low profile.
Message 5 of 7 (251 Views)

Champion
@Axs5626Sxa5001 Well yeah you are melted faster as path compared to other legends. He has a giant hitbox.
Message 6 of 7 (248 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@Axs5626Sxa5001 I dunno. I don't like Low Profile or Fortified but when I compare Gibraltar's arms/legs to the teeny little arms on Lifeline/Wraith and the twigs Pathfinder calls legs... I kind of want to up the damage for degree of difficulty. I'm kidding but limbs are so small for some characters they probably aren't hit there as often as others. Especially so for legs since they often aren't targeted. Also, the size difference can be so great that one Legend's body might take up the same amount of space as another Legend's body + arms so its arguable that there should be no difference in damage.

Pathfinder has a unique hitbox so this might not apply to him. I do often hear he has odd animations/positions for his arms that may justify that though.

Message 7 of 7 (245 Views)