Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Low FPS with RTX2060 and 4670k

by HueLight

Original Post

Re: Low FPS with RTX2060 and 4670k

★★★ Apprentice

The common thing on this, if you're performing below expected spec, is CPU cooling.

Modern CPUs 'throttle' if they get too hot. Shutting down rarely happens, the CPU just runs slower (which makes it harder to notice).

I'd suggest installing something that can monitor the CPU temp while the game is running. If it's at or near 95C it's probably throttling.

Free solution, is to clean out the dust on the CPU fan, particularly if it's a stock Intel heatsink, which are terrible dust-magnets. The 2nd best investment I ever made (after an SSD), was a cheap self-contained water cooler. This did more for performance than an expensive, poorly cooled CPU would have, and is much cheaper.

Message 21 of 41 (162 Views)

★★★★ Novice

My CPU does not even reach 60c. its around 50-58c during gameplay.

Message 22 of 41 (152 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@In7yg0 

Wanted to follow up for any others that might be interested. I did roll back that update.

one thing I hadn’t mentioned is that the hitching had made me feel nauseous in the last couple of days (turns out this update was installed on the 12th). To try and improve things, I had bumped some graphics settings down to medium. It hadn’t helped much, but I was trying.

today, after rolling back the update, I noticed my FPS had gone from mostly in the low 40s, sometimes 30s up to 50s-60s, occasionally 70s. There is still some hitching, but it definitely felt smoother than it had recently.

thanks again for the suggestion.

Message 23 of 41 (124 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

oh?....so much fps though?...i trolled you btw. that video was BS, i didnt even watch it before posting. good you found the rollback though

Message 24 of 41 (112 Views)

★ Guide
wait...or was it?...did they already update a fix but it didnt update automatically yet?
Message 25 of 41 (110 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

nvm again...that was the right video………….dude sometimes

sounds about right though...1070 should do 70 fps, at least according to usercharts. then again, its most likely the cpu still

https://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=35276&framesPerSecond=Anthem

Message 26 of 41 (106 Views)

★★★★ Novice

That's strange,i found out that setting the lighting to Medium improve my FPS by almost double. now in free play i get 30-45 fps. its strange because lightning should not affect on the CPU.

but still in fort tarsis i get 20-25fps. something eats up the cpu and i dont know what. maybe its just bad optimization...

Its also strange because friend of mine with i5 7400 has better FPS than me. and my CPU is stronger than his.

Message 27 of 41 (77 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Hi,

I use a GTX1080, and I7 4790k and cap fps at 90 - settings are high with the odd ultra. 1080p so I think you should be getting more?

Anthem_2019_02_20_11_23_17_915.jpg

Anthem_2019_03_02_18_42_22_415.jpg

GPU 90%+ in this one but at a higher cap of 120fps, also had been playing for 5 hrs so getting a little warm at 60c+ hence the drop on GPU to 2101mhz from 2114mhz. 

Message 28 of 41 (71 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Yes something wrong because my GPU is at 30-50% load only.

it should be at least 60-80%.

Message 29 of 41 (62 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

@In7yg0  It was before the fix. But that isn’t the crazy part:

(one note, the FPS increase I mentioned was an exaggeration...it went up but I haven’t seen rates that high on a regular basis, don’t know why...might have been the particular environs where I noticed it)

after that, I started having a different issue, that being severe input lag. I was losing control of my character for 5+ seconds at a time. Frame rate was fine.

somebody in another thread was talking about this issue saying basically that the game isn’t designed to wait for control input and the cpu isn’t keeping up with the framerate. Playing on an older cpu and realizing this started after I lowered settings and did that rollback, I cranked my graphics UP to ultra and 4xfsaa. Now my FPS is mostly around 30 instead of pushing 50 and the input issues are gone.

Message 30 of 41 (56 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help