Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Look, let's talk about the store for a second...

by DJFlare84

Original Post

Re: Look, let's talk about the store for a second...

★★★★★ Apprentice

@cake404 wrote:

Now, my assumption would also be that an “armor pack” contains four skins (one for each suit), at $5 per skin. Which to me feels like that’s just about pushing the upper limit of reasonable. Though I wouldn’t expect most people to buy them all as they come out at that price point.

If it’s $20 for one suit, that’s pretty damn high unless it’s an extremely appealing skin (and even then). Though knowing EA, they will probably try to sell those N7 vinyls at $50 a pop.

I can agree with that.

If 20$ is the cost of a pack of FULL ARMOR SETS for ALL 4 JAVELINS? That's a bit less ridiculous.

But I have reasons to believe the armor packs are single-Jav only.

1. In the VIP Demo as we saw, individual parts of an armor set can be equipped (and more importantly BOUGHT) separately. It seems more likely that the Armor set would be a way to buy all four parts at a discount instead of getting the pieces seperately.

2. The thumbnail image shows a single Javelin, but more importantly we see two DIFFERENT Javelins on two different armor packs. This leads us to believe one armor pack is a set for the Ranger and the other is a Colossus set.

Message 21 of 84 (142 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

I’m on the fence about this. Don’t get me wrong, that store pricing model has me concerned. However the Devs have said pricing is not set and they will continue to change it right up until launch.

So we can; 

Continue to speculate 

Jump on the EA hate train (deserved but will not help)

Or

Wait and see

The Devs have been nothing but upfront so far therefore I am willing to wait and see and reserve judgment on the final product. 

Message 22 of 84 (135 Views)

Champion

Yea, you might be right, actually. The pre-order page lists them off separately as “Ranger Armor Pack,” “Interceptor Armor Pack,” etc. $20 per set of suit parts definitely does sound pretty damn pricey. I mean, I’m sure there will be people who will buy them even at $200 per pack, but they definitely won’t be chasing any long tails there.

And as far as how much they’re going to cost in in-game coins, it’s technically impossible to say, but if the past games are any indication, you’d probably be undercutting third world sweatshop labor in terms of USD/hr equivalent. I.e. you’ll be getting a trickle of coins that will be a nice bonus if you’re having a blast anyway, and you might be able to buy a texture after a week of playing or something, but if you set out to buy all of the skins with in-game currency you’re going to hate this game way before you’re done.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 23 of 84 (132 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Option-3 is to speculate WITHOUT jumping on any hate trains (which I think I could make a decent case that I've done nothing BUT so far). But maybe that's just me being a crazy Autist.

Message 24 of 84 (131 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@DJFlare84 wrote:

I know you've said that 20$ isn't actually what you want to price your armor sets at, but I don't think you realize how bad that looks.

Let's look at WarFrame for comparison, and we must because that's the market you're tapping into and likely the biggest competitor you will be measured against.

I bought a REALLY nice skin for one of my frames off their store, a tennogen workshop creation and it only cost me SIX DOLLARS.

Skins are the warframe equivalent of your "armor packs". If you're charging anywhere above 8 dollars for them you are going to LOSE and that is simply THAT.

Are you joking?  Warframe has been selling a small Prime Cosmetic bundle every Prime Access for $50.  It only ever contains like, 2 -3 small items and some boosters.  One Warframe in an Unvaulting is $20+.  

There are plenty of overpriced things in Warframe cash shop and everyone worships the ground DE walks on.  Oh, did you forget that you can buy entire Warframes and Weapons in that shop too?  It's pretty P2W, and nobody cares. 

You can't use DE as an example model when most of their store is even worse.  

Capture.PNGzsdgsa.PNGdfsgsadg.PNG

Message 25 of 84 (130 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@zukstar wrote:

I’m on the fence about this. Don’t get me wrong, that store pricing model has me concerned. However the Devs have said pricing is not set and they will continue to change it right up until launch.

So we can; 

Continue to speculate 

Jump on the EA hate train

Or

Wait and see

The Devs have been nothing but upfront so far therefore I am willing to wait and see and reserve judgment on the final product. 

I’m not jumping on a hate train, but I have a feeling this may very well be the baseline for their pricing model going forward unless the community makes it very clear this is not financially viable. I understand that EA is a business that needs money to stay in business, but historically they seemed to err on the “maximize the short-term profits” side of their options (just like most large businesses these days) and I don’t really want Anthem to be a short-term title.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 26 of 84 (128 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@Alaeacus wrote:

@DJFlare84 wrote:

I know you've said that 20$ isn't actually what you want to price your armor sets at, but I don't think you realize how bad that looks.

Let's look at WarFrame for comparison, and we must because that's the market you're tapping into and likely the biggest competitor you will be measured against.

I bought a REALLY nice skin for one of my frames off their store, a tennogen workshop creation and it only cost me SIX DOLLARS.

Skins are the warframe equivalent of your "armor packs". If you're charging anywhere above 8 dollars for them you are going to LOSE and that is simply THAT.

Are you joking?  Warframe has been selling a small Prime Cosmetic bundle every Vault re-opening for $50.  It only ever contains like, three or four small items.  One Warframe in that Unvaulting is $20+.  

There are plenty of overpriced things in Warframe cash shop and everyone worships DE at their feet.  Oh, did you forget that you can buy weapons in that shop too?  It's pretty P2W, and nobody cares.  

DE has some ridiculously expensive stuff which I don't approve-of NOR purchase, but the vast sweeping majority of their cosmetic stuff is DIRT CHEAP.

Like I said, 6 bucks for a damn nice tennogen skin. No regrets.

Message 27 of 84 (112 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Sorry @cake404 I didn’t rely explain my Hate train very well. Not having a go at the Hate Trainers as it is justified and EA deserves it. 

I was trying to to convey that doing any of the things I suggested will all end up in the same place. 🤪

Message 28 of 84 (111 Views)

★★ Guide
For me it's really to early to judge....I need to know what the coin grind will be like....I would spend more money if the prices were low. I'm way more likely to spend $20 on 4 or 5 items as opposed to $20 on one armor skin
Message 29 of 84 (104 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

For me the bottom line with the online store is: You can buy the stuff for ingame currency, and if the prices of that are reasonable to where you can earn a skin every two months or so by doing some daily strongholds or whatever then the real money prices are perfectly alright for people who absolutely can't wait that long to have something, or want to own all of it. Could the prices be lower? Sure, but I infinitely prefer a store that has slightly higher prices and lets me gain the items ingame than a store that has low prices but you can't ever earn anything by just playing.

Also I feel like people never really consider the core of the issue with paid cosmetics, because to me it's a perfectly normal part of fandom to spend sometimes silly amounts of money on merch for things you love. The big reason why spending money in a game seems like a so much dumber idea than buying a Pop figure  is because we don't have trust that the game will always be there for us and always give us enjoyment. So the fundamental issue with in game stores isn't pricing, it's consumer trust. If you can trust a game to be around and to be consistent in its quality then buying a skin in the game isn't any more unreasonable than buying a T-shirt you don't really need. 

Message 30 of 84 (103 Views)
Twitter Stream