Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Look, let's talk about the store for a second...

by ChaingunCrazy

Original Post

★★★ Guide
@DJFlare84 You know, this really is the hallmark of a great game- mature discourse.
Message 41 of 84 (78 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Newbie

$3-$5 is fine for a great armor set.  

$0.50 is fine for icons 

$1 or $2 for a pattern or texture. 

If a full javelin skin is extrordinary, comes with an icon and a texture, I might spend as much as $10 on it. 

Yes, I am here because of the rumors of your micro transaction pricing. 

I’m a big fan of customization. Maybe 50% of the time I spent playing this demo weekend was in the forge. I’ve spent plenty on cosmetics. Nickel and dimeing folks will catch you more in sales than the purchase of a single cosmetic for 1/3 the original asking price of the game. 

I rather enjoyed the demo, and look forward to the release next month. I just want to provide my opinion. 

Message 42 of 84 (154 Views)

Champion

Yea, that’s probably near or somewhat below the bottom of the price range they’d be willing to consider, but at the end of the day that’s the kind of pricing most people would realistically be comfortable with.

But ultimately I think the important thing about the gem store pricing is getting it to where buying from the store feels like you’re supporting the game and getting a token of appreciation in return, not where you feel like you’re getting ripped off at 1000% markup just because the people who set the prices feel they can get away with it.

Of course, there will also be people who will never buy it no matter how low you go because “don’t ever pay for anything you can get for free” (a.k.a. “don’t put any actual value on your time and effort”). But at least they keep the servers populated.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 43 of 84 (143 Views)

★★ Guide
Everyone needs to remember they never gave us solid pricing on store items. They themselves stated those prices were not set in stone and were simply placeholder examples of what it would look like. Hold your pitchforks and torches until we see the actual prices of these items.
Message 44 of 84 (138 Views)

★★★ Guide

1.  Obviously, nobody really knows what pricing will be, and those prices will change.

2.  There have been some expressed priorities, i.e. no pay-to-win, no random-chance loot boxes, keep the microtransactions on cosmetics, and even, allow purchases by in-game earned coins. Prices for cosmetics does not enter in to these priorities.

3.  I've preordered two games (one LoD) already, and now my wallet is closed. IF I like the game AFTER LAUNCH, and decide to give it my next several months, then I will Shirley open my wallet again. At that point I will usually buy whatever cosmetics I think will make my frames, er, javelins, look 'right' to me, but pricing won't matter so long as it is not truly stupid. I do hope, however, that most players feel good about the pricing when they see the actual store.

Message 45 of 84 (127 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I can understand $20 being used for a content pack (say a brand new Javelin, new territories to explore and a bunch of gear you can't get elsewhere), but one armor set just seems rediculous.

I know EA has to make money somewhere, and there is a premium currency featured, so I just hope it's better than what Bungie/Blizzard has with Destiny's microtransaction system.

Message 46 of 84 (117 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@PurpleHairMcgoo wrote:
Everyone needs to remember they never gave us solid pricing on store items. They themselves stated those prices were not set in stone and were simply placeholder examples of what it would look like. Hold your pitchforks and torches until we see the actual prices of these items.

That’s why we’re discussing it. I haven’t really seen a lot of pitchforks so far. But the whole “the prices are not final” is a statement very similar to “this demo is six weeks old.” These things take time to approve, and the pricing shown on that screenshot is likely to be damn close to final unless they see a really good reason to change it based on community feedback.

By “a really good reason” I don’t mean “start a ****storm over it,” but even a sound off on what everyone considers to be “reasonable” and “upper bounds of reasonable” for the items shown on the screenshot would likely be helpful.

(Though I also have to say I have no clue what the “Gum on Shoe” is supposed to be, why it’s Epic, and why I’d want to pay $12 on it)

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 47 of 84 (106 Views)

★★★★ Novice

$20 for a single armour skin is simply unacceptable. 

Not only is that far too much money for what amounts to one set of armour, it is also poison for this game's business model.

It's been mentioned countless times that this game will be a direct competitor to Warframe, and with prices like this, considering Anthem - unlike Warframe which is free - is a premium, full-priced experience? Charging exorbitant amounts for in-game cosmetics is going to be like poison for this game's economy and it's reputation.

I mean, the game isn't even out yet and we're already seeing massive pushback on this issue. Imagine how it will be once the game actually launches! Factor in that there may be countless other issues with the game in its early stages - because apparently nobody can launch a properly functioning game anymore - these prices are going to rip this game apart. 

Anthem was met with almost universal apathy ever since day one. I only recently got slightly interested in it, mostly because of the customisation potential. But I'll tell you right now? If this game expects me to pay $80 up front (because I live in australia and our games cost too much here) and then expects me to pay a quarter of that price again, per skin? No. That's just not going to happen. I will refund the game if I see that garbage.

Message 48 of 84 (89 Views)

★★★ Guide

@Witherwraith wrote:

It's been mentioned countless times that this game will be a direct competitor to Warframe, and with prices like this, considering Anthem - unlike Warframe which is free - is a premium, full-priced experience? Charging exorbitant amounts for in-game cosmetics is going to be like poison for this game's economy and it's reputation.

Free or not, Warframe is just an empty shell of a game.  A weapon collection game with no difficulty, laughable AI, and the same reskinned content with every expansion.  All this with a cash shop so overpriced that it puts Korean MMOs to shame.  

Message 49 of 84 (77 Views)

★★ Guide

@DJFlare84 wrote:

I mean, I get that Ninjas play free, but a Ninja is not defined by their tolerance for tedium...

Really? Most ninja I know of would easily tolerate the tedium of spending three days straight sitting perfectly still on a rafter waiting for their target to walk underneath... But I guess you are probably not talking about that sort of ninja... :/
Message 50 of 84 (65 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help