Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Look, let's talk about the store for a second...

by AzKnc

Original Post

★★★★ Apprentice

@MrCrusteePants wrote:
For me it's really to early to judge....I need to know what the coin grind will be like....I would spend more money if the prices were low. I'm way more likely to spend $20 on 4 or 5 items as opposed to $20 on one armor skin

Agreed. One of the things I actually DON'T like about DE is how a lot of their most recent stuff is put behind an INSANE grindwall that you can also just pay a bit of cash to skip.

I mean, I get that Ninjas play free, but a Ninja is not defined by their tolerance for tedium...

Message 31 of 84 (151 Views)

★★★ Guide

@Aetrion wrote:

if the prices of that are reasonable to where you can earn a skin every two months

Keep in mind, the people who are angry about this cash shop, two months is far too long for them.  They want their stuff with minimal work without having to pay for them, or at such a discount where it's not even worth Bioware putting them into the store.  

Message 32 of 84 (150 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Apprentice

If a game costs 60-80 euros itself, having skins in its store that cost like A THIRD of the game and emotes that cost A FOURTH of the game is pure madness. Not to mention the skins in the screenshot look almost the same as the basic models, they should cost 2 euros lol not 20.

If it was a f2p game, or a super popular game and estabilished game and the skin were 100% model altering amazingness of doom, maybe, but even then.... tbh no. Just no. * that. On warframe you buy 1000 plat when you get the sale for like 12 euros, and with that amount you can get 2-3-4 bundles of * or skin that COMPLETELY change the look of some warframes/weapons, and a bundle ends up costing like 2-3 euros.

If you set prices this high as in this screenshots i can assure you i will NEVER touch your cosmetics store unless i'm using normal credits.It's not rocket science honestly, if it's so hard for you that you need to iterate on the prices DAILY, let me help you:

• Blue/Epic armor packs: 2-3 euros.

• Legendary armor packs: 5-6 euros.

• Masterwork super amazing armor packs that completely alter the look of your * and maybe even have special lights/reactors/flying effects: 10 euros.

• Emotes, icons, colors: 50c-2 euros.

• Emotes, icons, colors sold in packs/full palettes: 5-10 euros.

It's not so hard and certainly doesn't need iterating on.. daily.

You're not a f2p
You're not a well polished super refined game
You're not an estabilished ip/franchise
You're not gonna be allowed to have these ridiculous prices.

It really is that simple.

Message 33 of 84 (51 Views)

★★★ Guide
@zukstar You're right of course. We should wait until EA decides what they are going to do. I also know that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. So making our voices known about the topic now isn't a bad idea either.
Message 34 of 84 (138 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Aetrion wrote:

Also I feel like people never really consider the core of the issue with paid cosmetics, because to me it's a perfectly normal part of fandom to spend sometimes silly amounts of money on merch for things you love. The big reason why spending money in a game seems like a so much dumber idea than buying a Pop figure  is because we don't have trust that the game will always be there for us and always give us enjoyment. So the fundamental issue with in game stores isn't pricing, it's consumer trust. If you can trust a game to be around and to be consistent in its quality then buying a skin in the game isn't any more unreasonable than buying a T-shirt you don't really need. 

Yes, but – to me the crux of the issue is that the prices need to be low enough that there is a sizeable number of people who will buy stuff, rather than balk at the price tags and give up on ever paying a cent (and eventually quit the game altogether as they get burned out from the grind).

I don’t have an issue with there being $20 armor packs per se, or possibly even buying one every once in a while, but if $20 armor packs are the only price point they’ll have, they may end up depending on a relatively small number of players, and once those players are gone for any reason, the game will follow.

I don’t have any market research data to back it up, but I feel like releasing a $20-30 skin set (one for each suit) every once in a while would go a long way towards keeping the game financially stable.  

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 35 of 84 (131 Views)

★★★ Guide

You are absolutely right @calrizian but after the Star Wars BF2 fiasco I think EA are well aware of what us the consumers want.👍

I think it will come down to who has the biggest stick.

EA or Bioware (or what’s in the contracts fine print)

Message 36 of 84 (111 Views)

★★★ Guide
@zukstar Yeah, money is always the deciding factor. It's awful when it happens. I remember APB having so much promise, but when money got involved the company ignored egregious issues. Penny wise, dollar short.
Message 37 of 84 (103 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Y'know, a quick thank you to just about everyone in this thread for keeping it civil. This is a topic that could've EASILY devolved into a hectic flame war, but didn't thanks to our purely analytical approach.

Nice community.

Message 38 of 84 (102 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@OGgiraffrey12345 wrote:

I didn’t forget anything. I’m not spending more money than I have already. End of discussion. I’ll grind out Monday if need be. I don’t care. Just make it so I can earn the cosmetics. 

Here's what's going to happen though.  They will cap how much coin you can make per day/week/month and daily quests will be how you earn coin.  That will be the only route to make coin per day. 

What this does is make anxious players spend money since they see how long it will take (in days/weeks/months).  It is artificially capping a player from grinding it out.

Calling it now.

Message 39 of 84 (98 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Alaeacus wrote:

@Aetrion wrote:

if the prices of that are reasonable to where you can earn a skin every two months

Keep in mind, the people who are angry about this cash shop, two months is far too long for them.  They want their stuff with minimal work without having to pay for them, or at such a discount where it's not even worth Bioware putting them into the store.  

That’s not even the point. If everyone grinds their way to buying cosmetics, the game won’t get the cash flow it needs to keep adding content. You can’t pay developers with Tarsis Coins. The prices need to be enticing enough that people do actually buy stuff from the shop.

Keep in mind that it’s pretty difficult to price a digital good such as armor skin so low that thousands of people buying it won’t even cover the cost of production. The issue is minimizing the opportunity cost (the money you “lost” because you could have priced the item higher). The problem is that, in my opinion, they tend to price stuff so high that they get opportunity costs from pricing out a ton of people who would have bought something for $5 because there are some people who will pay $50. But that only works until those people get bored and find a shinier game to spend their time on.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 40 of 84 (95 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help