Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Look, let's talk about the store for a second...

by DJFlare84
Reply

Original Post

Highlighted

Look, let's talk about the store for a second...

★★★★ Apprentice

I know you've said that 20$ isn't actually what you want to price your armor sets at, but I don't think you realize how bad that looks.

Let's look at WarFrame for comparison, and we must because that's the market you're tapping into and likely the biggest competitor you will be measured against.

I bought a REALLY nice skin for one of my frames off their store, a tennogen workshop creation and it only cost me SIX DOLLARS.

Skins are the warframe equivalent of your "armor packs". If you're charging anywhere above 8 dollars for them you are going to LOSE and that is simply THAT.

Message 1 of 84 (603 Views)

Re: Look, let's talk about the store for a second...

★★★ Guide

DJ,

 

Please read the similar posts by others so that you can be sure others feel as you do.

 

I, however, disagree with your post. The game has to make money on an ongoing basis, and if $20 is too much for you, then that's your decision. Consider, however, how much you spend for hats, shoes, t-shirts, jewelry, etc in the world - or how much you spend on cars or boats or night clubs. $20 is not extravagant. I'll probably drop $20 for several armors as they come out. If the game plays well enough to keep me here.

 

Also, I love Warframe, but I've paid them plenty (very plenty) - it's just spread out over many things - so as much as I think WF (and GW2) is doing it right, give Anthem a chance.

 

Standard smile

Message 2 of 84 (591 Views)

Re: Look, let's talk about the store for a second...

★★★★ Apprentice

@Halfjack9 wrote:

DJ,

 

Please read the similar posts by others so that you can be sure others feel as you do.

 

I, however, disagree with your post. The game has to make money on an ongoing basis, and if $20 is too much for you, then that's your decision. Consider, however, how much you spend for hats, shoes, t-shirts, jewelry, etc in the world - or how much you spend on cars or boats or night clubs. $20 is not extravagant. I'll probably drop $20 for several armors as they come out. If the game plays well enough to keep me here.

 

Also, I love Warframe, but I've paid them plenty (very plenty) - it's just spread out over many things - so as much as I think WF (and GW2) is doing it right, give Anthem a chance.

 

Standard smile


That's a very lovely response but I'm afraid you've misjudged me.

While I do PERSONALLY feel like 20 dollars is extravagant and quite a lot, I'm not talking from a personal perspective. I'm making a logical prediction to help EA and BioWare by telling them what kind of reaction I'm FAIRLY CONFIDENT they can expect.

I've already pre-ordered the game and I'm quite happy with the gameplay thus far. I don't intend to shoot down Anthem just because of this debacle, but I genuinely believe people will turn up their noses at Anthem if they see that. It's a very legitimate business concern they need to consider. I'm posting this because I WANT Anthem to succeed, so don't imply I'm not giving them a chance.

Also I apologize if I'm just repeating what someone else said. I briefly looked at the front page and didn't see any titles hinting that this topic was being discussed so I thought I might be the first one bringing it up here (although it's getting talked about everywhere else).

Message 3 of 84 (579 Views)

Re: Look, let's talk about the store for a second...

★★★★ Guide
I’d pay 20 dollars to turn the interceptor into a wasp suit with wings and a stinger. It was already modeled after a wasp. It would fit perfectly.
Message 4 of 84 (568 Views)

Re: Look, let's talk about the store for a second...

★★★ Guide

@DJFlare84 

They have stated that the future DLCs and content are free.  For the next 10 years.

 

They have to pay their Developers.  For the next 10 years.

 

You're right that they will need to find a good balance where people are willing to pay for vinyls and such, but to be honest, if the game is good and keeps me interested and playing, and stays free, I'm more than willing to spend $20 on a really great skin.

 

But the best part is, those vinyls and emotes and goodies are also available for in-game currency (Coin) so you can earn them in the game as well as buying them with real money.  Your choice.  Standard smile

 

And note that they have outright stated that the economy system is changing daily, sometimes more than once per day, so don't stress too much until launch.

Message 5 of 84 (557 Views)

Re: Look, let's talk about the store for a second...

I'm unclear why the $20 figure is being thrown about, the screenshot didn't show what the shard pricing would be?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't work for EA, but I adore BioWare's Mass Effect, Dragon Age & Anthem.
I can be found here on EA Answers HQ and on BSN forums: http://bsn.boards.net
Message 6 of 84 (551 Views)

Re: Look, let's talk about the store for a second...

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

@SofaJockeyUK wrote:

I'm unclear why the $20 figure is being thrown about, the screenshot didn't show what the shard pricing would be?


I believe the shard pricing was mentioned at 100 shards = 1$. Admittedly I don't have the source but everyone who talks about it seems to agree that's what was mentioned.

That said no I don't actually think these are going to cost 20$ (the devs came out and said it was an old test number) but I'm saying that if they're adjusting their prices they need to look at what the competition offers to get an idea of how much reduction they'll need to do.

YOU guys might be willing to spend 10 or 20 bucks on what essentially amounts to ONE SKIN, but much of the WF playerbase (a crowd Anthem is definitely tapping into, and SHOULD if they want to succeed) is going to BALK at that idea. 10 might be the absolute worst they could get away with.

Message 7 of 84 (542 Views)

Re: Look, let's talk about the store for a second...

[ Edited ]

@DJFlare84 wrote:

I believe the shard pricing was mentioned at 100 shards = 1$. Admittedly I don't have the source but everyone who talks about it seems to agree that's what was mentioned. ...


Here we are: The source article on Reddit: 

 

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/ajg581/image_featured_store_items_cost/eeveueh/

 

Looks to me like the cent/shard pricing has been assumed, partly from the Legion of Dawn pricing, partly because it's a simple round number.

 

BioWare's Chris Schmidt confirms in the Reddit post that they don't usually tend to discuss pricing and haven't locked it down yet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't work for EA, but I adore BioWare's Mass Effect, Dragon Age & Anthem.
I can be found here on EA Answers HQ and on BSN forums: http://bsn.boards.net
Message 8 of 84 (522 Views)

Re: Look, let's talk about the store for a second...

★★ Pro

@DJFlare84 wrote:

I know you've said that 20$ isn't actually what you want to price your armor sets at, but I don't think you realize how bad that looks.

Let's look at WarFrame for comparison, and we must because that's the market you're tapping into and likely the biggest competitor you will be measured against.

I bought a REALLY nice skin for one of my frames off their store, a tennogen workshop creation and it only cost me SIX DOLLARS.

Skins are the warframe equivalent of your "armor packs". If you're charging anywhere above 8 dollars for them you are going to LOSE and that is simply THAT.


I personally don't get into buying cosmetic stuff with RL cash unless I have a good surplus of it, my philosophy is if it doesn't increase my stats etc I'm not interested. I do understand how many do like the cosmetic stuff though but in the end the buyers determine the price, if they sell them at 20 bux a set and they sell at a good clip then that's the right price, with the reverse being true also. Just because Warframe sells stuff at that price doesn't mean players wouldn't pay more for it in Warframe if the prices were doubled for instance.

Message 9 of 84 (511 Views)

Re: Look, let's talk about the store for a second...

★★★★ Apprentice

@Haruchai01 wrote:

Just because Warframe sells stuff at that price doesn't mean players wouldn't pay more for it in Warframe if the prices were doubled for instance.


That's true. Developers will charge whatever the community seems to be willing to pay. That doesn't mean I'm not right (though I'm not PROVEN, either.).

I'm just offering my conclusion as to what that very well may be.

Message 10 of 84 (505 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help