List of old games missing on Origin!

by makemap

Original Post

List of old games missing on Origin!

★★ Novice

Here is a list of missing EA games that should be added.

1. Dune Series(becomes Dune collection)

We have Red Alert 1 and Command and conquer. I can't see why a game with the same engine cannot be added. Any idea of a new dune movie game though?

http://movieweb.com/dune-remake-director-denis-villeneuve-confirmed/

2. 007 Nightfire that was on PC if possible.

Doubt it due to 007 Copyright.

3. Armies of Exigo.

I have never played this game, but doesn't seem at all dated.

4. Freedom Fighters

Game was awesome.

5. All the Harry Potter games?

6.All Lord of the rings games that were on PC.

Message 1 of 5 (569 Views)

Re: List of old games missing on Origin!

Champion (Retired)

Hello @makemap,

there is already a thread open where people talk about old game they would like to see in origin. Thank you for sharing your wishes here.

Greetings,

Babyhuehnchen

I do not work for EA, i am just a random guy who like to help other with their problems. All answers are my personal ideas and not affiliated with EA.
If my post helped you, please consider giving me XP Angel
Please mark the post that helped you solve your problem as solution so other people can see it right away Large smile

Message 2 of 5 (548 Views)

EA DICE Team

@makemap

Hi!

Thanks for stopping by.. :-)

I would definitely encourage you to stop by in the thread linked by @Babyhuehnchen - we've got a cool discussion going on about old EA games that we would love to see on Origin.

Cheers,

Message 3 of 5 (534 Views)

@makemap EA doesn't have the publishing rights for the following:

1. Dune - rights owned by Herbert estate. Currently Herbert estates doesn't give the rights for new videogames to ANYONE. Only TV and movie rights and those will be heavily supervised.

As the EA licensing expired, EA also lost the rights to continue selling the game they've developed

2. Lords of the Rings - rights owned by Tolkien estate. EA's license expired and they can't sell those video games anymore. Currently the rights for movies, books, TV series and videogames are at Warner. Unless Warner and EA will reach an agreement (which i seriously doubt), those EA LOTR games are gone for good.

3. Nightfire - another license that expired (James Bond 007) not only for videogames, but for movies, too. Kind of a big fight for the rights right now, at stake being the distribution of the movies, the possibility of making new movies, book publishing and so on. So, we will see who gets it and if they allow EA to republish Nightfire.

4. Harry Potter - owned by Rowling Estates. Currently the rights for movies, videogames and TV (if there will ever be a tv series) were given to Warner

5. Armies of Exigo - rights not owned by EA. They were just the publisher and the deal expired. As the devs went bankrupt, chances to see it back are slim to none

6. Freedom Fighters - this is one of those legal headaches. Rights are split between Eidos (now part of Square Enix and owner of IO Interactive), IO Interactive (the original devs) and EA (publisher)

As you can see, all the titles that you've mentioned have serious reasons for not being in the store anymore.  That's the trouble with things not fully owned. When the licensing expires, everything goes to the franchise, IP owner and he decides what he will do with it (if he wants to do anything).

So let's focus on the stuff that EA actually ownsStandard smile

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 4 of 5 (525 Views)

EA DICE Team

@ivrognard @makemap @Babyhuehnchen

That's a good callout by @ivrognard - a lot of what we can publish or bring back depends on the current rights of the IP involved. That means that even if we wish to bring something back, we couldn't do so immediately do so for legal reasons.

But then again, it's still ok to dream about what we would want to see come back. Just keep in the back of your mind if it would be possible or not due to above explained reason. Would hate to disappoint!

Having said that, @makemap, what did you love about the games that you mentioned?

Message 5 of 5 (510 Views)