Linux.

by Retro-Pathfinder

Original Post

Re: When Is There Going to One For Linux? You missing a market!

@colesdav

Only buy products that are windows AND Linux certified. This works for me... Wink

Even Nvidia has good linux drivers for top end cards that support modern games. The downfall is that you'll have to install them manually while installing the system. Nouveau drivers don't tend to be "lean and mean".

Message 11 of 28 (1,503 Views)

Re: Linux.

★★★★ Apprentice

Better try the last distribution of Fedora !

Message 12 of 28 (1,478 Views)

@A7LAS_X1

Fedora is good, but isn't as popular as the distro's from the debian family. The game industry will probably focus on debian based distro's in the future like SteamOS.

Message 13 of 28 (1,466 Views)

★★★ Newbie

the biggest issue with gaming in linux is M$ DX support, open gl and vulcan work fine, but the only way to run dx based games is either in wine or play on linux, both of which have limits, i do have my SFF box with MX15 (debian jessie based ) running steam quite well for non DX titles, and about 15% of DX titles running in wine or play on linux, its still kinda flakey though. as for vga drivers they can be a real pain to set up, depending which distro and interface you have, i use xcfe and my nvidia drivers work great, even coolbits is working but still no auto fan adjustment, you set it and forget it. 

Message 14 of 28 (1,454 Views)

[ Edited ]

@quadlatte

You are talking about games that need Windows as OS. If gaming industry codes it's games to run in Linux, these compatibility issues will be gone. Keep in mind that Radeon and Nvidia (and other hardware providers) need to follow too for maximum compatibility in Linux.

I know what you mean with the real pain to set up drivers for videocards in Linux. Wink

Message 15 of 28 (1,449 Views)

EA it's time to make plans on Linux

★ Apprentice

Hello Origin Community and Team.

So i'm not an active origin user here because when i have problem i take a look of some threads here, but this isn't why i'm posting right now. Obviously i read "EA didn't plan to use Linux because like every Game Studio "Players are on Windows"."... That answer is an answer from people who follow "Imotep".

For now only Valve has decided to play on Linux and this is a good initiative. for the short story > i ended my Win'mance and decided to go on Arch (already tested debian/ubuntu/mint/elementary/fedora/mageia/freebsd/Void).

Why i'm saying "EA time to play your objectives on Linux" ?

The reason > Crosoft said "in a ghost article... can't find it" they will support win 10 (even broken for good). You do realize we are in 2018 they still give for "free" win 10. Do you smell it ? Something is wrong.

2018 - 2025, 7 years (if i'm counting right) left before the end of the extended support. They didn't announce a new OS after that (for now) and they force windows 10 S to be important... Do you smell it again ?

Windows 10 S isn't the best way.

You should rethink before you fail the bridge. I know Origin is running on Mac OS (EW) but Linux has more possibilities and stability than Windows.

Please i ask you EA to reconsider your plans that can be good for your company and Bioware (BW fanboy)

Thanks for reading i know a lot of linuxians asked you for it.

Message 16 of 28 (854 Views)

Re: EA it's time to make plans on Linux

EA DICE Team

@nenoro_95

Hi,

Good feedback. Thanks for writing this up. 

I currently don't have any new updates for you about Origin on Linux though. Should that change, then we will definitely share this with our players.

Cheers,

Message 17 of 28 (815 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Think it's about time EA did sort out, so origins worked on linux, more people would move over to linux for gaming instead of * windows

Message 18 of 28 (1,337 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Hello,

I have been testing Steam Play Beta during past week. It allows Steam users to run Windows Games on Linux by setting 3 switches in Steam Play Settings. 
DX11 and DX12 Windows games then 'magically' use Vulkan to run on Linux.
I have just completed testing Steam games.

I am able to run new AAA games like Monster Hunter World, for example.
You can a video here: https://youtu.be/nOIsF8g5EJQ?t=250

I have tested many other game titles available on Steam.

I have generated a number of videos that you can see here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8GzUQ4vASHCVRk_i3kSruA/videos

Please note it is still very early days and Steam will have to do extensive testing to Whitlelist these games, but they seem to run reasonably well to me.

My next step is to see if I can somehow get my favorite Origin games, such as the Battlefield series running using this or similar tech.

I really wish Origin would consider providing an Origin Client for Linux though, and maybe use similar technology to Steam, to give users wider choice of OS than Windows 10. 

Bye.

Message 19 of 28 (1,202 Views)

★ Apprentice
My concern is that MS is planning to move Win10 to a subscription cost but no range has been indicated. So I want to look into alternative OS and what games would be compatible.
Message 20 of 28 (917 Views)