Re: Linux.

by Straatford87

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Linux.

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Hi everyone!

@Straatford87, what is your (I mean EA but your personal opinion is welcome too) relationship with Linux? Are you going to make Origin supports this OS like Steam and GOG? 

Fasten your seatbelts, drive responsible and follow AHQ rules.

Если вы проживаете в Крыму, ознакомьтесь со специальной темой.

Я не являюсь сотрудником Electronic Arts/I am not EA employee.

Message 1 of 28 (6,480 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

@Retro-Pathfinder

I am not aware of any specific plans at the moment for us to support Linux.

Speaking personally, I think the need for our games on Linux would depend on the user base that wants to play our games while solely using Linux. If the demand is there, then it would make sense, and vice versa.

View in thread

Message 2 of 28 (6,873 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

@Retro-Pathfinder

I am not aware of any specific plans at the moment for us to support Linux.

Speaking personally, I think the need for our games on Linux would depend on the user base that wants to play our games while solely using Linux. If the demand is there, then it would make sense, and vice versa.

Message 2 of 28 (6,874 Views)

[ Edited ]

To be honest, i am not a big fan of the Windows 10. I dislike the start menu, the privacy issues, the bloatware that comes with it (unless you have an Enterprise copy from work, you have to put up with a lot of unnecessary stuff). There are some decent things: is a good system for work (especially software that requires a good optimization), it does manage the hardware better. At the same time, backward compatibility for games is much worse than in Windows 7, but that's true for Win 8  and 8.1, too.

Will start playing with Linux on my old PC, as soon i finish the new one. Have yet to decide which version of Linux will get (Mint and Ubuntu seem to be the friendliest).

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 3 of 28 (6,402 Views)

Hi, @ivrognard

If you like a windows interface, linux mint is the way to go, if you like a Mac interface, ubuntu is the way to go (note: you can make linux mint look like OSX too if you tweak it a little bit). Both are derived from the Debian distro (this would be also a great choice). I would be thrilled and exited to see my favourite EA games become playable in my favourite OS. Large smile

It would be every nerd's wet dream... Wink

Linux mint cinnamon or (K)Ubuntu for high end systems.

Linux mint XFCE or Xubuntu for lower end or mid end PC's.

Message 4 of 28 (6,393 Views)

When Is There Going to One For Linux? You missing a market!

★★ Novice

When are going to be EA Origin Just for Linux... as a Deb file and/or by terminal? There's a market being left behind. Value addressed this, and they got to work on it.

Message 5 of 28 (6,386 Views)

Re: When Is There Going to One For Linux? You missing a market!

Hero (Retired)

Hi, @cyndi_hill_86!

I put your message to the existing thread about Linux. Feel free to to read EA_Tom's answer.

Fasten your seatbelts, drive responsible and follow AHQ rules.

Если вы проживаете в Крыму, ознакомьтесь со специальной темой.

Я не являюсь сотрудником Electronic Arts/I am not EA employee.

Message 6 of 28 (6,370 Views)

EA DICE Team

@Retro-Pathfinder

Thanks for moving :-)

Message 7 of 28 (6,348 Views)

Indeed, @cyndi_hill_86 is right.  There is SteamOS from Steam. The competition is already popping the cork. There is indeed a market for an origin client in linux. The dev teams will sure have lesser bugs to solve in linux then in Windows. When the big game companies shift to linux as main OS, the custumors will follow. And if CEO's have a problem with the fact that linux is only for tech savy nerds and that tech noobs aren't able to install linux on a PC, point them out to the fact that new PC's can be bought with linux preinstalled. Wink

Linux mint and ubuntu are simple in use (even my wife is able to use it Wink).

Message 8 of 28 (6,334 Views)

★ Apprentice

You can set up different GUI Interfaces in Ubuntu.
For example if you don't like Unity Desktop in Ubuntu 16.04 LTS then you can install KDE Desktop. Or you can us Gnome.I am sure there are other options.

The LTS releases for Ubuntu are supported for 5 years.

I have looked at the latest AMDGPU-PRO drivers and they are running well for me on Ubuntu-16.04 LTS.
I am looking at setting up Virtual Machine with a Windows 7 installation as a secondary OS and then use GPU passthrough so I can run Windows based games using  GPU Hardware.

Use of GPU Passthrough with Virtual machine is bound to become very easy to set up in future Linux Distributions.

There seems to be more and more people who have or want to move away from Windows 10 and on to Linux.
Linux dominates all other areas of computing now apart from the Desktop PC &  Laptop for consumers.
I think it is time that Origin provide  Linux ports for their games and provide an Origin Client that can run directly on Linux using Vulkan.
Personally I see no reason to stay with Windows as my Primary OS any more.
I move it to secondary OS inside virtual machine, for legacy reasons.

Message 9 of 28 (6,303 Views)

★ Apprentice

I find Ubuntu / Fedora/ Redhat and RoboLinux installions much easier than installing Windows.

The only issue I see at the moment is hardware / gaming hardware like keyboards mice and headsets are mostly for Windows.
So for example if you have a Corsair H100i RGB Watercooler and RGB Strafe / Void/ Headset and RGB mouse ... they "work" but
there is no linux version of Corsair Utility Engine or Corsair Link Software.

Message 10 of 28 (6,299 Views)