Linux Support?

by Wolfsite

Original Post

Linux Support?

★★★★★ Apprentice

Will the EA Desktop have a Linux version available?

If not will it at least be easier to run under a WINE prefix as Origin had a tendency to break whenever an update occured.

Message 1 of 15 (6,647 Views)

Re: Linux Support?

★★★★★ Expert
@Wolfsite How many games do you know that are made under Linux? Origin and EA Desktop are gaming platforms. No games - no operating system support.

Много ли вы игр знаете, которые делают под Linux? Origin и EA Desktop - игровые платформы. Нет игр - нед поддержки операционной системы.
Я так думаю)
Message 2 of 15 (6,598 Views)

Hero

I have not seen any announcements regarding other operating systems than Windows. As for how well the Windows version runs on Linux someone will probably have to test it.

carbonic signature

Message 3 of 15 (6,593 Views)

EA DICE Team

@Carbonic @Wolfsite @Ancorig 

Hey all,

We have not made any announcements regarding Linux support.

Right now, EA Desktop is only available for PC. We're also creating a Mac version, which will be available at a later time.

Message 4 of 15 (6,585 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@Ancorig Steam is capable of running any game thanks to Proton, the platform is native the games may not be.

So far I've been capable of simply pressing play on all games that are not linux compatible on Ubuntu, Pop!_OS and Manjaro on that gaming platform.

Indeed few games are made under Linux but they can run easily, despite then you having no support for issues. But this is something EA doesn't seem to care about (as far as I was able to figure out by searching), it's a complaint that's been around for several years.

The Epic Games Store works fine, via Lutris, and is only officially PC and Mac.

If the future of EA Desktop remains like Origin, then I'd love to be able to unlock Origin bought games on Steam (as they allow from Steam to Origin) just to be able to play them without launch errors, download freezes, interface crashes, or desktop environment crashes.

Message 5 of 15 (6,540 Views)

★★ Novice

Linux is PC. So it should work on my PC right? or do you mean Windows? Because that's a whole other thing.

Message 6 of 15 (5,029 Views)

★★ Novice

@Ancorig wrote:
How many games do you know that are made under Linux? Origin and EA Desktop are gaming platforms. No games - no operating system support.

Много ли вы игр знаете, которые делают под Linux? Origin и EA Desktop - игровые платформы. Нет игр - нед поддержки операционной системы.
Я так думаю)

Made?  No idea. Runs? Out of 360 Games in my Steam library around ~190, with proton enabled probably almost all of them. And with steam deck around the corner hopefully gaming under linux will reach new heights.

Message 7 of 15 (4,802 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

With the release of Steam Deck, more games has become available from running on Linux. The latest verified game on Steam is Apex Legends, which can now run on Linux, given that previously was breaking WINE deliberately on an update to the EAC. Now, the newest EAC is capable to run on Linux, it will not be surprising that more games, in EA Origin, would be also be able to run on Linux in the nearby future.

Message 8 of 15 (4,570 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

You know nobody games on Mac, yet you support Mac before Linux, the only reason i have any EA games at all right now is because your back on Steam (I stopped using EA completely when you dropped steam), i haven't owned a EA game for years. I used to be a huge Fifa nerd owned every EA game that came out, but lack of Linux support and bad practices made me not want to use anything EA at all. If I am like this then how many other thousands ditched you.

This is the same for Linux users. People will use it when you offer it, you know how easy it is to build a Linux client to manage games, its lazy, i could literally develop a better platform in a week, that would put your launcher to shame, and it would be built to compile on all platforms.

Its ridiculous you call your self a platform yet you are only on 1 OS, games are on 1 OS, your launcher is 1 OS and nobody cares about gaming on mac.

Message 9 of 15 (4,023 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Wolfsite I've heard somewhere that it will, but now I can't find it. So I'm not so sure anymore. Hopefully they will release the platform on Linux making gaming that's already good even better.
Message 10 of 15 (2,309 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help