Limit on free Apex Packs (forced to pay for loot boxes)

by MorbidRomantic

Original Post

Limit on free Apex Packs (forced to pay for loot boxes)

★★★★ Apprentice

I'm making this post because I don't see anyone else talking about it.  If you're like me, you may have noticed a reduction in the Apex Packs you receive after level 20.  This confused me at first, and I decided to look more into it.  So, it turns out that the level cap in Apex Legends is at 100.  And, between levels 1-100, a player will only receive 45 Apex Packs for free.  That's all you'll get.  Yeah, they do have an over-leveling system, but you only get Legend Tokens from it.  And, outside of unlocking characters, Tokens are useless.  You can't buy Packs with them, and the skins in the store require you to first obtain the legendary variants of them.  These legendary skins you can buy with real money (about $20 a piece).  Otherwise, you have to be lucky enough to obtain through Packs.  Or, get enough crafting materials to unlock them yourself, which are also randomly obtained only through Packs.

Honestly, I had been absolutely loving this game up until now.  But, finding out that leveling will only reward me so much makes me think, "What's the point?"  And, I feel any game (F2P or not) shouldn't strong-arm it's players to spend more money.  Especially when you're not guaranteed to get what you want out of the purchase...

Message 1 of 156 (27,430 Views)

Re: Limit on free Apex Packs (forced to pay for loot boxes)

★★★★★ Newbie

This!!!! I feel like at the very least, you should be able to buy packs with the tokens you obtain from grinding on this game. Considering there is no other way to unlock the skins you want in this game besides getting metals from RANDOM apex packs.

Message 2 of 156 (27,396 Views)

★ Guide

So I think of 2 things when you mention this. 

1) Anytime I am enjoying a game, I will put money into the game. If you make it to level 100, you clearly are enjoying the fruits of the labor to make this FREE game. Why not throw some money at it? 

2) Because it is free for us, doesnt mean it is free for them to make.

I understand some are under mom and dad's wallet but I just can't stand this way of thinking. The season pass comes out in March, who knows what that might bring in the form of Apex packs. I personally enjoy the grind and know as long as the game seems to be supported by the devs and responses made to hacking, etc. I will 100% put money into this game. 

In the grand scheme of it all, this game has been out a microsecond. Would you have rather paid $60 one time for this? Overall, this game has a lot to offer us in such a short amount of time compared to its counterparts. 

Message 3 of 156 (27,385 Views)

★★ Guide

I feel it's pretty stupid to take away the main incentive for progression, especially since legend tokens are practically worthless once you have all current legends unlocked. I enjoyed the game so much I dropped money to buy both legends after a few hours of gameplay and now I have 16,200 Legend Tokens to do what with? Zip, Nadda, Nothin'.

You can buy weapon skins with Legend Tokens but only after you've purchased the corrosponding skins with Apex Coins (Which require you to drop real money) so basically these skins are locked behind a pay wall. I do hope this isn't the direction this game is heading as it really is great fun to play, would be a shame to see it ruined by greed.

Let us be able to purchase Apex Packs with Legend Tokens, even if it is something stupid like 4-5k per pack (Which will take a while to earn) Let us buy skins with them, let us buy metal with them, let us use them for something at least because once those free Apex Packs for leveling go away there is literally ZERO incentive for progression and if there's zero incentive for progression you might see a huge dip in players thinking "Uhh well what's the point then?"

Message 4 of 156 (27,336 Views)

★ Guide

Im 120$ in already.  That still dosn't change the fact only like 10% or something of the gear can be unlocked through grinding. That seems reasonable? The gear isn't even that great....

Why not follow the free to play cash cows lead? Making limited time extravagant skins. Somewhat like how they have now already but on a bigger scale. 

People are more likely to spend money on a garunteed item as appose to spending $13 for 10 crates when your only garunteed 1 legendary item every 30 crates...

Message 5 of 156 (27,318 Views)

★ Guide
Another option would be to allow us to buy materials with our legend tokens at maybe a 1/20 ratio
Message 6 of 156 (27,309 Views)

★★ Guide
You do know they are adding a Battlepass in March right? I don't think you are going to get to level 100 before then.
Message 7 of 156 (27,305 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Ah so they are getting to the pathetic levels of gouging then.

Shame, I had hopes for this game

Message 8 of 156 (27,269 Views)

★★ Guide
Free game that costed investment while you paid nothing and they dare not to give you infinite loot boxes so you can eventually unlock everything? So horrible.
I personally haven't bought anything yet until my crashing gets fixed then maybe battle pass.
Message 9 of 156 (27,260 Views)

★★★ Novice

Good game or bad game, it is still in EA's domain. You knew what you are getting into. Especially "free to play" game. Which means a few cosmetic items will have a price of a regular game, and there are dozens of them.

Message 10 of 156 (27,258 Views)