Re: Limit on free Apex Packs (forced to pay for loot boxes)

by gagebuffington

Original Post

★★★ Novice
@Gabrielmojo26 Yeah i know that feeling. It has EA's stink all over it despite being such a good game. I feel for the devs.

Alot of people want more progression from the game and i agree. You do have the argument that a good game used to keep people entertained for days on end of constant play.

But that's a player type, and one more closer to people who enjoy grinding in games like what WoW used to be like.

Many people who play shooters wont get enjoyment out of a game with only one game mode and no progression.

Even if its cosmetics it annoys me when there are things that i want and yet on principle, i can't get it.

You've gotta go by a simple rule with free to play games.

If you can enjoy the game without paying, then its worth supporting.

If not, then it means you'll need to consistently pay, and that can wind up costing more than even a subscription based game. Which incidently, are usually far better as they provide a constant flow of content... usually.

FF14 seems to be adding dlc's that require further payment alot these days. So, can't use them as an example anymore either |:

Cosmetic items in games are a major part of something i enjoy. I'm tired of getting faded and grimey colours and crappy items, or hopelessly skewed RNG systems in the way of actually enjoying a game.

Enjoyment is key in a game.

Apex would be absolutely fine if they simply let you continue earning loot crates in the same way as overwatch. Or if the price of individuals skins were much lower, to reflect their value.

It costs them absolutely nothing to replicate a digital item, therefor the profit to break even is essentially covered very very quickly per item. (one day)

Its no wonder p2w and rng systems are being targeted legally.
Message 121 of 156 (512 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I know it's been quite a while since I first made this post, and I appreciate all the feedback and input people have given on this matter.  That is, as long as you weren't being toxic, and at least adding to the conversation.

However, I wanted to clarify a few things.  I am absolutely not against supporting free-to-play games.  For example, I've spent about $40+ on Realm Royale since it's release.  And, just recently, I spent about $45 on Dauntless.  The difference between what these games offered over Apex Legends is I knew exactly what I was paying for.  Also, the pricing for most individual items in those games is reasonable.

I want to support Respawn, and Apex Legends.  However, I'm not a gambler.  And having to mostly spend money on the equivalent of a slot machine severely turns me away from wanting to give them anything.  I didn't even purchase the Battle Pass because I was so disenchanted by their monetization system in this game...

Message 122 of 156 (473 Views)

★★ Expert

+1

Heart

Message 123 of 156 (464 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@MorbidRomantic Good point, then this game isnt for you. Probably Realm royale is.
This game is definitely for me, because i like to gamble.It's in my blood, It's my dark side, pls keep this monetization forever.
Message 124 of 156 (445 Views)

★ Guide
https://youtu.be/RSyUgTCIkA0

Just made post at same time you did about this area of topic xD but this link explains best
Message 125 of 156 (441 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Newbie

I was level 100 before then n the battle pass sucked there wasn't anything good on it rly n I'm tierd of buying apex packs and getting stupid * in em I've played since it first came out and have yet too receive the wraith apex pack and I've spent bout 200 ta 300 on the game I'm a level 200 and some n I completed the battle pass and still don't have any good legendary skins for my characters 

Message 126 of 156 (422 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@gagebuffington thats the problem with gambling
Message 127 of 156 (404 Views)

★ Novice

So your complaining about apex legends using a money grab tactic, but it's skins... What do they do other then change the color of the battle?

Message 128 of 156 (337 Views)

★★ Expert

@TTV_BlazingDG 

They make the Barbie wardrobe more exquisite

Heart

Message 129 of 156 (331 Views)

★★ Pro

Some of you need a reality check.  You might have only been gaming since the advent of the itemshop model, but when some of us started you used to have to buy every game you played unless you were pirating them. 

This game is free and you're whining about optional and utterly IRRELEVANT content being chargeable so the company actually make some money? :S  Are you for real?!

Message 130 of 156 (311 Views)