Re: Limit on free Apex Packs (forced to pay for loot boxes)

by Psyrecx

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I'm sure it's been said already but shut up about people complaining about not wanting to pay. No one is complaining about it, their complaining clearly about the gambling scam EA using to make money. 

Im sure most people are like me and want control over what we purchase. I spent over $800 on fortnite and I'd gladdly do the same here if I was in control of what my money purchased. 

Stop being fans bois and giving money to this clearly corrupt monitary system and make them work for it. Gaurenteed it makes the game better. Everythinf they create will be based on its own merits and not on some RNG bs.

Message 61 of 156 (756 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I think that you are wrong to have this attitude about Apex, you DO NOT deserve to get lots of progression,unlocks, skins, and everything for FREE whilst the developers have spent millions to make this game. I work in the software development industry so let me explain;

A game developers salary is anywhere between 25,000 - 70,000GBP per year depending on their experience and coding skills. There will probable be about 20 programmers working on the game, meaning they are spending 500,000-1,400,000GBP per year just on programmers salaries. Then you have graphic designers, Music, art, producers, etc; and on top of that they will have software license fees, bills, HR staff, etc meaning they are now spending millions of GBP per year making this game. probably running into the 10's of millions per year to make the game, and since the game isnt finished whilst they are making it, they are spending their own money in the process to get a finished product, taking a chance on a game that could fail.

They have been working on this game for a few years, starting as Titanfall 3 and then eventually shaping into Apex. I could put the estimated cot of the project as anywhere between 30-50 million GBP as a rough estimate, and they are allowing millions of players around the world to play for FREE....their starter pack only cost 3.99GBP, and you absolutely CANNOT buy anything that is considered P2W or gives you an advantage. They give you some customisation for free, on top of everything else you have had for free. A sweet game, not P2W, balanced, and it doesn't cost you a penny. If everyone of their 25 million players bought the starter pack, which as of a few days ago was 100% of the playerbase, after taxes and stuff they would probably only break even. If you enjoy Apex stop being such a cheap * ******** and support the game, buy the supporters pack, founders if you like it that much. Get the battlepasses, etc; but you have no room to complain when you have committed NOTHING to EA/Respawn and yet are expecting everything in return.

Message 62 of 156 (730 Views)

★ Novice

Well this is just a straight up lie, since the levels continue infinitly after level 100, it just isnt displayed. 

PS: If you manage to put that much time into the game (to reach level 100) then i think that they do deserve some money from you.

Message 63 of 156 (716 Views)

★ Guide

I don't know who they have hired to do the psychological analysis of their economic strategies but they need to fire them yesterday. It's far more likely for me to spent a TON of money in game that is not "forsing" me to spent money to customize the way i look and that rewards my time playing it, rather than spent a dime in a game that does not allow me to customize anything and forces me to spend money and gamble to maybe get a customisation option for my character. Case in point i have spent well over 1000$ in Warframe in the last 3 years and i have spent 0$ in any of the COD games.

Message 64 of 156 (700 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

They are part of a multiBILLION company. Nobody said making a game is free or that it does not require time, but the money and the time it takes to develop a game varies based on the type of game you develop. So the costs of any game depend on the type of game it is.

On top of that, NOBODY develops * before they get funding and a green light from the CEO of a company and the board of directors.

That means that all the costs and the man hours needed plus the expenses for any extras like marketing etc. are calculated, analyzed, preseneted and agreed upon before a single line of code is typed in the company's keyboards.

Stop presenting them as if they are victims or saints that are underpaid and do not make a profit but they just barely cover expenses. If that was anywhere near the truth they would have siezed making games years ago and they would have shifted to providing coding services and data analysis tools. Since that is not the case you can bet they make more than enough money to not only cover the costs of the game, the bonuses of the CEO, the dividents of the investors but also have a ton of cash to re-invest on themselves to grow the company further.

That is how economics work in any company of this sector. But i guess you need to have worked in the industry to know how things are instead of blidnly repeating like a parrot what shills say to try and shift public opinion on lootboxes and gambling addiction issues they cause.

Message 65 of 156 (690 Views)

★★ Guide
@Davenshir they announced there will be battle pass and skins show up in store, meaning that impatient people will buy lootboxes and its their own fault for supporting it, if you dont like them dont buy them as game gives you oportunity to buy even with coins.
So what should be cured first ?
1.devs making lootboxes ?
2. impatient people who care more about skins than gameplay and are willing to spend 300+ usd on lootboxes just to get that one skin even though they were told how that lootbox works ? instead of patiently waiting until it shows up in store ?

I personaly think if second stops supporting it then devs will change aswell, but as long there is a demand for lootboxes they will exist.
Message 66 of 156 (685 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@Prupisek wrote:

I personaly think if second stops supporting it then devs will change aswell, but as long there is a demand for lootboxes they will exist.

Well, that is until the government finally cracks down on companies holding illegal online lotteries. 

Message 67 of 156 (683 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@Prupisek

Which is why I'm saying something about it. The more of us that complain and show we're more willing to purchase quality skins over their obvious scam of a system, the sooner they'll change.

The entire reason Im posting this is because I want to support the game. I want to spend money. This business model is outdated and quite frankly disgusting.

It's the only blemish on an otherwise perfect game. 

Message 68 of 156 (673 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@poweredmadmatt

Your entire logic is flawed and counter productive. You keep making completely false accusations that "people want stuff for free". No it's quite simple they want an equivalent exchange for their money.

This current system they have is going to turn a lot of people away seeing EA's typical nonsense of horrible compensation for your money. I'm only here because I actually enjoy the gameplay of the game, but the publisher EA I really am not fond of in any shape or form. Apex was genuinely unique to the BR scene. 

I've purchased the founder pack and additional $10 in apex coins and got almost nothing that I wanted to use. No skins for the champ I main, and was just a complete utter waste of money at the end of it all.

Your math is horrendously flawed as well. You literally think the production of this game was more $$ value than $30 x 25 million? You're absolutely naïve and the fact you tout such nonsense show's you have no ability to formulate a point of view that should be taken seriously.

Message 69 of 156 (618 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@powermadmatt

Your logic and math is entirely flawed. You sincerely think that this game required over 100 million dollars to make? Let's just set that nonsense aside for now.

Your false argument that "people want stuff for free" has no basis on the consumer disdain for these shady loot boxes. I purchased the founders pack and spent an additional $10 on apex coins with absolutely nothing in return that I wanted and/or use in the game. It's pretty ridiculous.

Secondly the cost of the actualy items is beyond absurd in every possible aspect you can imagine. Some people trading 1-2 hours of work for some generic skin you'll only see occassionally? There is no equivalent exchange in the pricing and the amount of resources required to purchase it.

EA has a bad reputation already for exploiting games and I'm only here because I genuinelly like the new gameplay Apex brought to the BR scene. I haven't touched any EA games for a long time due to its business model.
Message 70 of 156 (645 Views)