Re: Limit on free Apex Packs (forced to pay for loot boxes)

by Tensai_Zoo

Original Post

★★★ Novice

I played a bit enjoyed the game then when i looked at the capped levels and packs i decided not to invest more time into this game. it's just that simple. when it's useless to play the game above level 100 unless you pay for packs that most likely going to give you trash items than good stuff you're not encouraged to care anymore. hope they get this right, the game is fun and everything but the monetization i feel is not correctly implemented. 

Message 31 of 156 (1,209 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yep same experience, i never felt dragged by Overwatch to over spend unless i really feel like to or i just don't have time to play and want to get some specific skin. This game founders pack sucks, it's so bad. 

Message 32 of 156 (1,209 Views)

★★★ Novice

I spent 13$ for 1K coins, bought 10 boxes, and every one was a blue rare. Oh thanks for the epic Mirage skin, a character I don't have and don't plan on unlocking. 

Waste of money, won't purchase again 

Message 33 of 156 (1,170 Views)

★★ Novice

I generally agree with you. I am fine paying some money for a free game I like but Apex packs is the biggest scam in lootbox history. They are clearly lying on their % chances since I only get a legendary after 30 boxes and 1-2 epics at the same time. After getting to level 55 i purchased around 45 packs + 5 today from Twitch Prime. I got 1 legendary. And if my calculations are correct I will get my next pity timer legendary in my next lootbox. This is beyond ridiculous. Also so far, through all my leveling and payed packs I got 700 crafting materials. Not even close to enough to buy a legendary banner of my choice. I play bangalore and don't have a single epic/leg item for her. This is the video of my first 21 lootboxes opening that i paid to see that I am not lying. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX_6isIqgS4

Message 34 of 156 (1,103 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

@MorbidRomantic wrote:

I'm making this post because I don't see anyone else talking about it.  If you're like me, you may have noticed a reduction in the Apex Packs you receive after level 20.  This confused me at first, and I decided to look more into it.  So, it turns out that the level cap in Apex Legends is at 100.  And, between levels 1-100, a player will only receive 45 Apex Packs for free.  That's all you'll get.  Yeah, they do have an over-leveling system, but you only get Legend Tokens from it.  And, outside of unlocking characters, Tokens are useless.  You can't buy Packs with them, and the skins in the store require you to first obtain the legendary variants of them.  These legendary skins you can buy with real money (about $20 a piece).  Otherwise, you have to be lucky enough to obtain through Packs.  Or, get enough crafting materials to unlock them yourself, which are also randomly obtained only through Packs.

Honestly, I had been absolutely loving this game up until now.  But, finding out that leveling will only reward me so much makes me think, "What's the point?"  And, I feel any game (F2P or not) shouldn't strong-arm it's players to spend more money.  Especially when you're not guaranteed to get what you want out of the purchase...

Please refrain from complaining about a game that provided to you for free. Do you have the slightest idea how much manpower hours were put into this just to GIVE it to you for NOTHING? Take some time in your life to reflect on what benefits you should truly be entitled to.

Hint: This is not one of them.

GOOD DAY SIR!

Message 35 of 156 (1,045 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I see a lot of points on both sides of the discussion, I'm very glad that the game is F2P as that lets people hop right in and see for themselves if the game is worth it or not. I'm eager to see what the season pass options are going to include, in particular I want to know if there will be any kind of changes to the time investment aspect of the game. I love this game so far and I plan to play till 100 and drop some money here and there on pay day BUT one thing that is very important to me is feeling like you're earning or accomplishing something each time you play. If there was a lootbox for every X that you take the game after 100 that would keep me much more entertained than hitting 100, realizing that there's not very much incentive for putting time into the game other than just playing the matches. I know there are a large amount of people out there who feel that games with a carrot on a stick approach like that keep people interested much longer than simply playing the game as is with no incentives other than paying for them.

Message 36 of 156 (1,091 Views)

★★★★ Guide

very disappointed legends tokens can't be used for skins or apex packs. 

I saw you could use them... but you had to buy with real money first 

Message 37 of 156 (1,035 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

We live in sad times when the 5 second excitement over a lootbox opening weighs more than the overall enjoyment of the game itself.

If you really feel that you should be rewarded with real money valued items (yes, lootboxes can be considered real money valued since they can be purchased for real money) for playing a FREE TO PLAY game, the word "entitled" is a gross understatement. Strong-arming you into buying lootboxes? Lootboxes only holds cosmetics, so the want for these boxes comes from yourself ONLY. "I want a new car, but the car dealership is strong-arming me into paying for it with cash. I'm offended by that". Revise your perspective.

Message 38 of 156 (1,027 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@imadous wrote:

I played a bit enjoyed the game then when i looked at the capped levels and packs i decided not to invest more time into this game.

I don't get the current gamer generation, are you playing games because the actual gameplay is fun or just to unlock stuff? Anyway, i said that already in an other thread. I would love to buy skins or whatever to support the developer, but loot boxes are just gambling and skins for >11$ when currency packs either cost 10 or 20 $ are almost a scam.

Message 39 of 156 (1,022 Views)

★ Guide

I've played with 2 lvl 99 already...pretty sure some of the nut jobs will get there

Message 40 of 156 (1,020 Views)