Re: Let's bash the new guy!

by MandatoryIDtag

Original Post

Let's bash the new guy!

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

We have SBMM, in part, to protect new players or those that just don't do to well for whatever reason.

Problem 1 - Smurfs.

Problem 2 - More experienced mains drop solo and keep dying till you get into a lower skilled lobby for high kill games.

Problem 3 - I had 3 earlier but i forgot so i'll edit later. Beer

We have ranked to play with people of equivalent skill.

Problem 1 -  Smurfs.

Problem 2 - Splits, just to keep engagement up, causing a diamond to go to silver following season. (Still matched with bronze)

Problem 3 - Diamond/master/preds intentionally losing RP to stay in lower brackets.

So these ''safeguards'' to protect newer players are being circumvented by many anyway as they're getting stomped.  Maybe a better solution can be found that actually works?

Message 1 of 39 (817 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Expert

@apostolateofDOOM they rolled back armor changes. Let's roll back SBMM while we're at it. Random lobbies is the only truly fair outcome IMO. 

"What about the newbies?" Give them their own matchmaker that restricts their lobbies to filter from level 1-75. They've got plenty of time then to learn the basics, learn rotations, figure out what weapons and legends they like, etc. etc.

"What about bad players?" They're bad, plain and simple. If they're not going to put effort into getting a little bit better to enjoy the game, then they should go play something else. You can't sit there and blame a game or the people who play it when you have a bad time, and simultaneously put in 0 effort to improve any aspect of your own skill. That's like opening up Dark Souls and complaining that the enemies shouldn't one shot you, but you make no effort to dodge, parry, or block attacks. 

"What about people who've hit level 200-500 but are still bad?" There is truly no hope for them. I worked my rear off for a 3.15 K/D, 667 DMG/Match ratio, and I'm stuck with these sub-par under 0.75 K/D, 200 DMG/Match players against predators? Put these salted sea slug brain worm riddled spineless cowards in with the newbies for all I care. Maybe they'll learn something. 

"What about Predators pub stomping people?" Seeing as how that's already happening due to low player population, I see no real issue with rolling back SBMM. Predators are people too, they want to have fun as well, and currently SBMM is really not allowing high skill players to consistently do so, especially when they queue with friends. 

Message 2 of 39 (787 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@apostolateofDOOM honestly i still don't understand what it means that SBMM is protecting low skill players , whenever i get matched with a pred we get melted .
in very rare occasions we survive but 99% it's a certain death and my KDR is 1.40 so clearly am below average.
i mean why am not being protected Frown
Message 3 of 39 (758 Views)

Champion

@maximas1986  because you're just above average lol.Tongue out

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 4 of 39 (740 Views)

@apostolateofDOOM I don't know that SBMM is so much about protecting noobs/low skill players. If they just wanted to protect noobs from experienced players they could go about that in other simpler ways. Such as noob lobbies that have level caps.

I think SBMM is more about trying to provide a fun competitive environment for all skill level players. If me and you teamed up and dropped into a mid or low skill level lobby we would destroy everything we came across even if it was 2vs3 the entire round. Most of the people we would run across would just get insta dropped before they knew what happened. That's not a fun experience for those players.

No matter what Respawn attempts with SBMM, people are going to try find ways around it. Whether its with smurf accounts, intentionally playing poorly for a few rounds of what have you. There will always be people who try to find ways around the system whether it's teaming, cheating, boosting, dash boarding what ever they attempt.

There will also always be people who try play honestly. I think the majority of us try and play honestly. One of the people at Respawn tweeted the getting SBMM right for a BR has proven to be an extremely difficult task. I think that point is solidified even more because other BR games on the market have struggled with their attempts at it as well. I think the reason it's so difficult is because there are so many variables that come into play in any BR type of game, especially team based BR games.

You have variables in terms of load out, armor, and loot. Differences in the teams overall skill. Differences in play style, you can have two players both equally skilled in their own play style but together their play styles don't mesh well. So they can't put up good numbers together. Then there is the difference in who has favorable map location. I have had some really long and bad streaks in Apex simply because we kept ending up in bad positions for fights, bad positions in terms of loot and so on. Skill had nothing to do with it.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 5 of 39 (727 Views)

Champion

@DarthValtrex  Nothing breeds a fun competitive environment like level 30 teammates and predator trail enemies. Tongue out

Message 6 of 39 (720 Views)

@MandatoryIDtag I figure they are smurf accounts.. Either way I avoid all name points on the map when that happens until they prove they can drop a pred squad

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 7 of 39 (717 Views)

Champion

@DarthValtrex  Sometimes yeah, and that doesn't bother me as they're extremely aggressive and fit my play style.

However I get noob teammates a lot when I solo queue and when I jump on trios with my bud we get end up with level 30 and below on the regular. I'd happy to carry lower level players except you know how mm works when you enter it in a premade.....it's brutal. XD

Message 8 of 39 (714 Views)

★★ Pro
@DarthValtrex Imo there is a difference for normal trios and ranked SBMM normal can vary any skill ranked is more closer in skill and tactics are not just run and gun, so if i spend all day playing normal then try ranked because both modes playout differently those type of people expect the game to play the same in ranked and it doesn't because of the tighter sbmm
Message 9 of 39 (711 Views)

Hero
@apostolateofDOOM heh their safe guard is being exploited and bypassed is more the correct term. Yet this company allows people to exploit their system when they can easily add in a 2 step verification system thats is IP locked and HWID locked unless you buy new pc and new numbers are generated on the new pc.

Why they have not went after smurfs for even simple 5 day warning ban for making their players games not enjoyable for new players. This is a major reason your new players dont stick around. What kind new player wants to join a game to find out they got a pro in there in disguise.

EA you think your new players wanna stick around when they are killed before firing first shot?

Stop smurfs or keep your older generation of players cause any logical new player who is being demolished non stop will just not play.

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 10 of 39 (667 Views)