Let's Talk Crafting...again.

by pastaclown

Original Post

Re: Let's Talk Crafting...again.

Message 11 of 26 (475 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Expert

@Koochi-Q just in case you didn't want to listen to the drivel I've gone ahead and transcripted what's being said from the 11:53 mark.

"So basically in a battle royale when you're talking about loot progression and the loot game, generally the best way to get the best loot in the game is to go around play aggressively and kill other players. Because over the course of the game, all the good loot from high tier POIs gets concentrated in player inventories and then once they're dead it becomes concentrated in their death boxes. So this really pushes an aggressive style of play and we wanted to build something in Apex that really encourages other more diverse play styles to come in. Things that reinforce exploration and traversal, you know for perhaps the players that don't always play as Rambo, the more passive ones amongst us like me. So crafting is a system that's there to reinforce exploration, it's there to reinforce our loot curve. And the way crafting works, is there are specific POIs around the map that have materials that you can pick up. These materials are stored on your player, they're not part of your inventory, so they don't take up space in your backpack, and if you die you keep them, so if you're respawned by your teammates you come back with any crafting materials that you've collected. And you can go from point to point collecting these materials, you can take them to these things called replicators which are basically 3D printers for loot. And depending on how many crafting materials you have, you can take them and use them to redeem the loot we have on rotation within the replicators. These could be things like equipment, they could be weapons, they could also be items that are pretty essential in a BR game such as a med-kit or ammo. So some of our items are on a weekly rotation, some of our items are in a daily rotation. Obviously building a giant menu where you can craft every single piece of loot in the game isn't really feasible, because it's hard to parse as a player and it's also difficult to do as a developer so we created this rotation system where we would group loot items into categories and those categories would rotate. So things that we have on a weekly rotation are things like, helmets, knockdown shields, backpacks, mobile respawn beacons. Things that we have on daily rotation are weapons and attachments that we've specifically chosen to match the weapons that we have on a daily rotation. So on one day you might have an R301 on rotation with an Anvil Receiver and a 1 2x variable scope. On another day you might have the EVA, you might have an EVon rotation with a double tap and a close quarters threat scope. And we try to pick these attachments to not only match the weapons that we have on daily rotation but to also mesh well with other weapons that we have in the game, so you know maybe I don't want an EVA, but I'm a really big fan of the G7, the Double Tap is there so I'm excited to engage with the system and craft something out of it even though all the things on rotation aren't necessarily things that I want. And then finally when it comes to rotations, anything that's on rotation during that day is NOT going to be spawning in the ground loot. So if a gun is on rotation and you want to play that gun, you HAVE to engage with the crafting system in order to get it. If you follow the Dev Stream you remember in Season 5 we didn't have a weapon in Season 5 and you remember me saying that we kind of thought the loot pool was starting to get a little dense, especially for weapons and we didn't think that we needed one at the time and that we were working on a solve, and Mark had the solve, so now we've got weapons, you know there's one weapon every game that can only be found in the crafting pool, and that sort of lets the Volt come in cleanly and take up the place of a spot that so that there's not an extra weapon on the ground." 

That's the entire three minute section on crafting transcripted word for word, they move onto talking about armor changes after this. 

Essentially what it says is, "Hey we look at our greatest strength, fluid fast-paced combat, and went, 'What about the people who don't do a darn thing all game?' So then they built this crafting system which encourages players not to go fight, but rather to run around the map looking for materials so they can pick up loot without having to do anything." They also went, "Hey we got too much crap in our loot pool!" and instead of trimming the loot pool by removing extraneous RNG (hop-ups), making 1 drop for 1x sights but giving players the option of choosing whether it was Holo or Red Dot, or by making weapons start with all white attachments from the get go, they just arbitrarily take stuff out and make it crafting only. On top of this, they say it's not feasible to parse through all the different items in the game, and creating a menu screen takes time. But according to the Google Doc below, it's much easier to create a menu full of sellable cosmetics with 1979 unique items and names. This crafting thing really honestly truly could've been great, but the devs are lazy and don't want to admit it so they throw out this half-baked inane nonsense and hope it sticks. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ozYwks6r0pTLUc_pt98nyB7-ulxXP1aEvB4PED6fac8/edit#gid=0

Message 12 of 26 (452 Views)

★★ Expert

https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/A-faster-more-efficient-looting-system-is-needed-for-co...

The Looting Menu redesign that I did here, how hard would it be to simply just have hover over options for each individual slot that changes based on what you need. I've linked it down below. 

Message 13 of 26 (444 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@pastaclown Jezum crackers, I was right... they are 'forcing' players to be more campy. I had laid out 2 scenarios. One where the materials would be found in the map and another where killing ppl would grant you stuff... I kind of knew they'd opt for the 1st one but the reasoning is "So this really pushes an aggressive style of play and we wanted to build something in Apex that really encourages other more diverse play styles to come in. Things that reinforce exploration and traversal, you know for perhaps the players that don't always play as Rambo, the more passive ones amongst us like me" this hogwash? Seriously? Exploration and traversal?! If you want that, those ppl need to play a dang survival game on minimal settings or heck, even open world or sandbox games work. Double heck, some games encourage scenery viewing like Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey by disabling combat! This is a bloody battle royale! It's made for fighting! Even camping I get, but this drivel is just nonsense.

If you play the game long enough you'll obviously learn the map. Heck I know most new details if I see them within a couple of days while playing several hours (of whichever game I play).

And what nonsense is the 'gun is not on ground' thing?! So if one day I'm feeling like I want to use the G7 (will never happen XD) I have to open myself up to be a potential target?! nice job Respawn...

@asukojo, thx for the link. I'll still read it there of course Wink
Message 14 of 26 (409 Views)

@asukojo wrote:

@pastaclown 

This's fighting/shooting game for FS, why I have to think about collecting material ??  

We want gun fight, and andrenalin rush...that's why people hot drop instead of looting for 5-10 minutes then die on 1st gun fight, what is the point ??

I actually like the idea of hot drop to see how good are your team mate. If we survive as a team, then we will have a good game, otherwise we simply wasting our time !

Since Loba get her buff, I honestly just use her ultimate to find stuff, much more simple, quicker and efficient. 

Agree, this crafting feature is stupid lol, I think they want to reward the nubs that will never get better, the nubs / feeders that never realize that gathering items is not the theme of the game.

Crafting only make sense if it is in a PvE mode (co-op) and a long one (not short ones like in season 5 quest).

Message 15 of 26 (381 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@pastaclown Crafting sucks , and it doesn’t work with the ninja button layout
Message 16 of 26 (370 Views)

★ Guide

Ah, so you are one of those players that hot drops but does so in a leisurely glide then when you and your team is starved for loot because you are the last team to land you then spew racial slurs and tell everyone else they suck.

Message 17 of 26 (350 Views)

I'm not entirely sure whether I like this crafting feature or not. I mean it could be great for resupplying. But for that we would need things such as shield batteries AND med-kits as options (healing), more ammo (not 1 batch, but 1 full stack) and potentially the chance to craft extensions (mags, stocks)... In the current state, it doesn't make that much sense.

Message 18 of 26 (342 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Agree, I don't even bother to collect material, they're useless.

Message 19 of 26 (330 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@lBreathTakingl wrote:

@asukojo wrote:

@pastaclown 

This's fighting/shooting game for FS, why I have to think about collecting material ??  

We want gun fight, and andrenalin rush...that's why people hot drop instead of looting for 5-10 minutes then die on 1st gun fight, what is the point ??

I actually like the idea of hot drop to see how good are your team mate. If we survive as a team, then we will have a good game, otherwise we simply wasting our time !

Since Loba get her buff, I honestly just use her ultimate to find stuff, much more simple, quicker and efficient. 

Agree, this crafting feature is stupid lol, I think they want to reward the nubs that will never get better, the nubs / feeders that never realize that gathering items is not the theme of the game.

Crafting only make sense if it is in a PvE mode (co-op) and a long one (not short ones like in season 5 quest).

Or it could be for when a teamate screws you on the drop or leaves the match because they are cry babies who did not get the legend they wanted.

Message 20 of 26 (329 Views)