Let's Discuss Ops

by mistincat

Original Post

Let's Discuss Ops

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Let's discuss the new Ops mode and the changes that have been made in this game.

Ops mode is now a playlist in multiplayer portal

So rather than being it's own thing, Ops mode is now a playlist in the multiplayer portal, as such, a lot of player choice that we are used to from GW2 has been removed.

We can no longer choose which faction to play as

Instead of being able to choose whether to play as the plants or zombies, the game now uses an alternating system between matches.

We can no longer choose what map we would like to play

If you have a favorite map, now you will just have to hope it comes up during your play session as we can no longer choose what map we would like to play, instead map rotation is used.

We can no longer choose what difficulty level to play

The mode now features a "one size fits all" approach, you will play the mode how the developers see fit regardless of your skill level, if you find it too difficult or would like to select an easier difficulty level for novice or younger players alas you cannot, the same is true if you would like more of a challenge, you are stuck with whatever the devs have it set at.

All of this seems like a step back in my opinion but i'd be interested to read what others think, do you think these changes are good or detrimental to the game as a whole?

For those of us that prefer PVE over PVP this certainly does come as quite a let down, at least for me as this was my most anticipated game mode.

Message 1 of 4 (223 Views)

Re: Let's Discuss Ops

Champion (Retired)

No choice of maps, characters, or difficulty?!

Definitely a step back for the casual PvE gamer or people wanting to learn maps or how to play new characters.

I think this will be my biggest complaint with the game; Ops needs these options!

Message 2 of 4 (205 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@mistincat Yes, I agree I'm disappointed about the loss of options.
My favourite modes have always been turf & ops, but particularly garden over graveyard, so I'm not keen on the rotation.
I've also always liked ops as a kind of escape to a calmer zone away from overly-aggressive lobbies, so enjoy being able to choose difficulty level & maps to suit my mood.
Another thing that struck me was the very brief gap between rounds. If I'm in with friends & we're not in chat, there's not enough time to communicate whether we all want to play another round or not.
I don't have any real problem with how the game is when you're in it, other than to say it is incredibly hard to work out where a dead team-mate is.
Message 3 of 4 (204 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Just played first couple of garden ops matches.... third match was Ruiny Ruins... same map as the match before am so disappointed I cant even talk about. I am speechless.

@mistincat  I think you have pretty much summed it up.... totally agree with everything you say.

For us too, most anticipated mode.... absolutely gutted to the core... 5 waves, no team choice, no map choice, no difficulty choice....
this mode is now a shadow of itself... they couldn't have disappointed us more if they tried.

Was totally supporting this game to everybody I spoke to .... have loved it up to this point.... huge anticipation for the third week due to garden/graveyard ops....
now I dont know how to feel..... they have totally let down a big part of their very loyal player base....
disappointed and very let down by this would be a HUGE understatement...
feel like it was added just for so they can sell the game saying it has Garden/graveyard ops... which to us it certainly hasn't.
Cannot believe that after all this time and wait... and the support that we have given them... this is what we get....

And aside from that will we be able to play the other modes, Gnome Bomb, Surburbination, Team Vanquish etc in private play... doesn't look like it.

Auch Im done... so disappointed... cant speak about it anymore atm....

Thanku @mistincat  for starting this discussion and detailing the "issues"

Message 4 of 4 (187 Views)