Let's Discuss Ops

by mistincat

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Let's Discuss Ops

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Let's discuss the new Ops mode and the changes that have been made in this game.

Ops mode is now a playlist in multiplayer portal

So rather than being it's own thing, Ops mode is now a playlist in the multiplayer portal, as such, a lot of player choice that we are used to from GW2 has been removed.

We can no longer choose which faction to play as

Instead of being able to choose whether to play as the plants or zombies, the game now uses an alternating system between matches.

We can no longer choose what map we would like to play

If you have a favorite map, now you will just have to hope it comes up during your play session as we can no longer choose what map we would like to play, instead map rotation is used.

Matches are now 5 rounds instead of 10

The waves do seem to be quite long however, so time investment in a given match seems to be on par with GW2.

No more evacuation

Gone is the evacuation portion of the mode, now the match just abruptly ends. 

We can no longer choose what difficulty level to play

The mode now features a "one size fits all" approach, you will play the mode how the developers see fit regardless of your skill level, if you find it too difficult or would like to select an easier difficulty level for novice or younger players alas you cannot, the same is true if you would like more of a challenge, you are stuck with whatever the devs have it set at.

All of this seems like a step back in my opinion but i'd be interested to read what others think, do you think these changes are good or detrimental to the game as a whole?

For those of us that prefer PVE over PVP this certainly does come as quite a let down, at least for me as this was my most anticipated game mode.

----

This thread is NOT spam, it is a legitimate thread for discussing Ops mode

Message 1 of 54 (2,247 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Let's Discuss Ops

Community Manager

@mistincat Thank you for the detailed posts. I just wanted to let you know that the thread most certainly isn't spam, but sometimes posts can trigger our automated removal bot. 

These are things like making a long post on a relatively new account, or editing a long post (or spamming phone numbers or links, but obviously you haven't done this here). 

In any case, the thread was rightfully reinstated, sorry for the delay and any confusion caused. 

Thanks for the feedback, please keep it coming.

David.png
Stay and Play.png

View in thread

Message 21 of 54 (2,981 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

I agree with a lot of this.

I don't mind ops being in the main MP portal, but it should still work the way it used too, i.e. I can just set it to look for an open game, start my own game, use bots if I want to, and choose the maps or let it go random.

Being unable to choose which side I want to play is odd too. I play both sides anyway, but being able to choose has always been important for this mode.

Difficulty settings should the same as always. It does seem to adjust to team size, you get more bosses based on number of players for example, but let us choose the difficulty.

I'm not sure why it's only 5 waves either. I'm ok with that overall as while I enjoy ops, 10 always felt a bit long. I miss the evacuation part of the game and the ability to choose where I put my garden/graveyard too.

The AI is, for lack of a better term, lazy, and you often have to hunt them down, making the waves feel tedious at times.

I do like the new plant bosses. The dill pickle boss was a nice surprise.

This mode needs some adjustment, and the ops in GW2 were a nice step up from the ops in GW1, but in BfN, they do feel like a step backwards.

Message 2 of 54 (2,212 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@Iron_Guard8 Completely agree. Disappointed.
Message 3 of 54 (2,190 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Not sure why this post was deleted; it’s constructive and should be seen as helpful to developers as 90% of the community will agree.

We need the ability to pick our characters, maps, and difficulty, please.

Message 4 of 54 (2,177 Views)

★★ Guide
@spIash_damage I got a notification informing me it had been reported as spam.
Message 5 of 54 (2,172 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@mistincat Bizarre!
Message 6 of 54 (2,167 Views)

Champion (Retired)

The person that read/reviewed the report should have read the post!  Not being rude to staff as I've formed friendships with many of the mods here @ EA... but.... truly constructive posts should be valued like gold.

@mistincat wrote:
@spIash_damageI got a notification informing me it had been reported as spam.

Message 7 of 54 (2,101 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I was very excited for Ops, but after 3 or 4 games Im already losing interest quickly. The difficulty setting being removed was a huge bummer, it doesnt feel challenging at all. The removal of the evacuation also damaged the immersion of it as well imo. Also not a big fan of people just auto-respawning after they go down. They should have to get revived or wait til the end of the wave.

Message 8 of 54 (2,084 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@mistincat On top of all that, I STILL think these maps are too damn big for such modes! I tried a game of ops, it was in that jungle map. And most of the game, I never even saw my team mates. I think the Devs are trying to turn PvZ into just another generic shooter, forgetting why this franchise became so special.

After 2wks, I feel like, I will do the questing and treasure finding, probably try to level up all characters, and then go back to GW2. I don't feel the need or desire to stay in the neighborhood beyond that.
Message 9 of 54 (2,071 Views)

★★ Guide
@PuffinStuff88 I also miss the evacuation stage of the match actually, it really added a sense of urgency and excitement hoping everyone makes it out alive!
Message 10 of 54 (2,036 Views)