Re: Let me ask you all: Why do we play this game franchise?

by DarkLanX

Original Post

Let me ask you all: Why do we play this game franchise?

★ Guide

I just want to ask, 

Why are we playing this game?

So, as we all know, devs have permanently removed all variants for this game, and will not add them in the future? Why Popcap? For competitive reasons? 

If I wanted a competitive game, I could play almost anything else. TF2, COD, Battlefield etc. 

There are two reasons most would play this, the feel and theme, (Which is kind of hard to screw up), and the character variants. Not many other shooters have such versatility in classes as GW1 and GW2, and you are scrapping that for BFN? And for what, to modernize and make more competitive? What kind of nonsense is this? 

At the end of the day,

WE PLAY THIS GAME FOR THE CHARACTER VARIANTS.

Give them back to us, or I might as well quit. At the bare minimum add elemental upgrades.

Devs, this is honestly my number one concern with this game. Fixing it is a necessity. 

Message 1 of 25 (1,007 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Bruh I like PVZ and it's the best third person shooter I've ever played that's why I play. Elemental Variants I didn't like much cause everything but Ice was unbalanced if it was changing your type of weapon I was all for it. I personally wouldn't even play this new game at all right now with the map sizes being so small and aiming issues but PvE is extremely fun and Plants actually have the edge for once since Scientist can no longer 2 shot, imps can be matched by Acorns, Soldiers cannot laser you with his primary for now and there's not many rooftops but that (ZPG) is still OP. We still don't have a Super Brainz he's even stronger to me in this game while Rose is really weak because of map size you do not want them in your face. I can play both sides and not feel bad in short the roster size has doubled for me.

Message 2 of 25 (992 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Variants...period!

I will hit max rank because that is what I do but after that will rarely come back to this game. I thoroughly enjoyed the leveling up process on both of the previous shooters so much that I hit max rank on multiple profiles just for the fun of it.

I will most certainly not play the game in a manner that I do not, (playing an already maxed character or a game mode I do not like) like just to get a skin.

Truly hope they see the light.

Message 3 of 25 (979 Views)

★★ Guide

I play because I've always liked the pvz theme, ever since original game (lawn defence) on pc before ea bought them, phone/tablet games including Hero's to gw1 & 2.

tbh was excited when I heard bfn announced and could buy founders edition, new graphics style took a little to get feel for but I like it, but yea pve is only real improvement so far over previous games, variants where cool but I could live with out them if they fix the pvp in this game to be as good if not better then gw2 then gradually add new characters/classes and content.

Honestly idk if they can do it, not looking good so far. But I'll keep playing on occasions to see what's new when they add it. 

Message 4 of 25 (944 Views)

★★ Guide

Zpg op? That's be problem with this game players like you cry for everything that kills them to be nerfed, gw2 was as close to balanced as you will get, and it was fun, problem is amateur players who don't have headset or surround sound have no environmental awareness and keep dieing. Learn every charaters sounds, I can always hear a Zpg before it fires and roughly from which direction, all charaters should have decent dps, if a player gets the jump on another player odds should be they win the fight, not always as sometimes can be skilfully countered, this low damage garbage of bfn allows the surprised opponent to spray and pray realise the can't counter and run away.

These games should come with tutorials on basic tactics, like flanking, bottle necks/choke points etc, so much in gw2 and bfn I see team mates run and die over and over at same choke point. Anyway imo nearly every charter in bfn needs buffing except a few. Low damage run away * is stupid. 

Message 5 of 25 (932 Views)

★★★ Guide

I play for:

- Theme.

- I enjoy levelling up characters.

- I enjoy the challenge of trying to win and be as high on the scoreboard as I can (not very high, but I keep trying!)

Honestly I found the number of variants in GW2 overwhelming. There was a seemingly endless number of variants to max out, so I was free to ignore some characters entirely, and focus only on the characters I was strongest with. There was always a new variant to keep me busy!

In BFN as I master favourite characters I move onto those I'm less familiar with, which I think is a good thing.

Obviously I could have forced myself to play unfamiliar characters in GW2, but for the most part I didn't.

So I don't miss variants yet, but once I master every character that might change...

That said, I did enjoy unlocking new variants, and speculating about the blank spaces in my collection.

Message 6 of 25 (924 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

I love PvZ and silly shooters. I play some 'gritty' ones but the ones that aren't gritty are more fun. 

I normally prefer 1st over 3rd person but PvZ is such a great IP I really get into the aesthetic, the world building, and the general craziness of the games. 

Character variants were fun, no doubt, but if you've played a lot of GW1 and 2 you see the same variants all the time rather than a large variety. In GW1 when you go play TV half the zombie team are super commandos because of their insane damage with the extra shot upgrade. In GW2 detonation characters and certain ice variants dominate, you hardly ever see a rock pea or breakfast brainz. Why bother supporting the variants when only a small chunk are played once people max them out? Making entirely new characters, with new animations, models, voice lines, and abilities is much better.

I would like some variant customizations though. I miss the golf cannon of the golf star for example.

Message 7 of 25 (862 Views)

★★ Guide

I was hoping BFN was going to be similar to GW2 just with updated graphics, new FUN maps and of course character variants, also sticker packs, I loved opening them up haha!

What i got is pretty forgettable meh! 

Message 8 of 25 (844 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Guys though me myself is willing to see variants added to the game, I can understand why the devs would choose to not include them for some balance purpose.

However what I don't understand is that why are all the upgrades so boring, I believe that by designing some interesting upgrades the game can be a lot more fun. 

Maybe there should be 14 points for upgrades so that we can customize the character a lot more, right now they are all pretty much the same. And I have them all equipped with the XP upgrade because of the event.  

Just want to say, balance is no excuse for removing variants. It's their job to utilize the upgrade system to give us enough variations.

Message 9 of 25 (830 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

I’m good without variants.

I continue to play the series because I like annihilating @dwooten77  ... zero other reasons.

😬

EDIT:  that and the consideration of changing my PSN to Giraffctus.

Message 10 of 25 (780 Views)