Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Legs. Farming GM1 HoR Statistically Fastest

by OdysseyHome

Original Post

Legs. Farming GM1 HoR Statistically Fastest

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

After I read Paul Tassi's recent article, I tried it out myself.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2019/03/31/i-think-ive-finally-figured-out-anthem-legendary-f...

Before I started the test, my build was able to solo GM2 freeplay with little problem. I always have capped luck. I completed various tasks: legendary missions, legendary contracts, etc. I would get approximately 1 legendary per 2 hours. 

To test out Tassi's theory, with capped luck, I pretty much ran Heart of Rage GM1 20 in a row. I got 6 legendaries. I cult through GM1 like hot knife through butter. The whole process (killing, looting, matchmaking, loading, etc.) takes little less than 15 minutes average. That's little more than 1 legendary per hour spent in-game. 

By grinding HoR GM1, I statistically doubled my legendary gathering rate. Other than being boring and not challenging at all, loots were raining on me.

This imbalance on reward-per-hour of these activities could have been figured out with math before release. I mean, this is the kind of thing that doesn't take thousands of hours of in-house playtesting. You can literally - by that I really mean literally - figure this loot issue out with an equation. That is literally what Blizzard did with their games. I know Bioware is inexperienced with this genre, but come on.... It should trouble you all that I can DOUBLE my legendary looting rate simply by lowering my difficulty and do one activity over and over again, and the fact that it's the most efficient way to progress my character. I probably won't do it again because I am bored out of my mind doing 20 HoR in a row.

Look, Bioware. I still like this game. The combat is fun, and I like trying out new builds. I'm still sticking around. But your internal data should clearly tell you (if you're even keeping track of them) that reward per hour spent varies between different activities. Bioware has been struggling. 

We spent $60 on your game. With no paid DLCs planned, you expect us to care about this game enough that we spend money on microtransactions over the years. Please respect our time.

Message 1 of 7 (348 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

At the end of the day RNG is still RNG.

It's just HoR has more of the mobs with better drop rates (legendaries, etc) than the other Strongholds) and it's concentrated vs Freeplay. So, the stats are not surprising.

The results are not Earth shattering, in fact they are to be expected.

Message 2 of 7 (333 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

You should get more on GM3. When they up the difficulty, they they need to up the difficulty accordingly.

I think it is actually surprising that Bioware / EA can’t get this right.

This is GM3 activities are deserted and none of my Xbox friends are playing Anthem at the moment. They didn’t listen.

Message 3 of 7 (293 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

You can't really compare the results doing totally different activities such as Freeplay and HoR. Surely, there will be difference. Doing HoR you have two chests, two furies, a titan, and multiple legendary enemies.

So it is all about RNG. Sometimes legendaries are raining, sometimes you are not getting them at all. It is both possible to complete 20 HoR and get 6 legendaries and to complete 20 HoR and get none.

Message 4 of 7 (269 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@BarqqDogg wrote:

After I read Paul Tassi's recent article, I tried it out myself.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2019/03/31/i-think-ive-finally-figured-out-anthem-legendary-f...

Before I started the test, my build was able to solo GM2 freeplay with little problem. I always have capped luck. I completed various tasks: legendary missions, legendary contracts, etc. I would get approximately 1 legendary per 2 hours. 

To test out Tassi's theory, with capped luck, I pretty much ran Heart of Rage GM1 20 in a row. I got 6 legendaries. I cult through GM1 like hot knife through butter. The whole process (killing, looting, matchmaking, loading, etc.) takes little less than 15 minutes average. That's little more than 1 legendary per hour spent in-game. 

By grinding HoR GM1, I statistically doubled my legendary gathering rate. Other than being boring and not challenging at all, loots were raining on me.

This imbalance on reward-per-hour of these activities could have been figured out with math before release. I mean, this is the kind of thing that doesn't take thousands of hours of in-house playtesting. You can literally - by that I really mean literally - figure this loot issue out with an equation. That is literally what Blizzard did with their games. I know Bioware is inexperienced with this genre, but come on.... It should trouble you all that I can DOUBLE my legendary looting rate simply by lowering my difficulty and do one activity over and over again, and the fact that it's the most efficient way to progress my character. I probably won't do it again because I am bored out of my mind doing 20 HoR in a row.

Look, Bioware. I still like this game. The combat is fun, and I like trying out new builds. I'm still sticking around. But your internal data should clearly tell you (if you're even keeping track of them) that reward per hour spent varies between different activities. Bioware has been struggling. 

We spent $60 on your game. With no paid DLCs planned, you expect us to care about this game enough that we spend money on microtransactions over the years. Please respect our time.

Thanks for posting a reasonable, thought out post.

I get so tired of reading all the crying and whinging on these forums.

I agree with HOR runs, I was farming TM over and over again up until recently, and got bored so I did the other strongholds as well.  HOR is very fast, I couldn't believe how fast I burned through it.  I remember that being a really long, painful run when I did it originally in the story.  Now it's a cakewalk on GM1.

I've also stopped running things in GM2, because I find the drop rate for GM2 runs (compared to time spent) is pretty bad.  I get roughly the same drops rate or more running on GM1.

I agree this should not be the case.  If I invest the time into doing GM2 or GM3, then there should be an increased reward for effort.  (And FFS get rid of blue drops on GM difficulty!)

I've also noticed that others are going GM1 more than GM2 or GM2 as well, because lately when you start higher level runs, there's only 2, or 3 of you in the group.  GM2 and 2 are basically dying off.  This is large part due to the extra time it takes, but also because a lot of people think they have a better chance at loot in GM2, so they go there long before they're ready and end up slowing the whole team down.

Do yourself and everyone else a favor, if you're under 600 or even 650, don't go to GM2, and if you're under 700, don't even bother with GM3. 

Message 5 of 7 (150 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Novice
Interesting read. I never got Legendaries in GM1 but I've never maxed luck stack to 180%. Only started getting them at GM3 with a masterworks javelin.

I think the issue here is difficulty just increases enemy health so encounters take too long. HOR stronghold is a prime example with the monitor boss and the notorious flight suppression zone with 9 dominion brutes...

The farming efficiency comes down to killing as many elite and legendary foes as quickly as possible... So makes sense HOR wins the enemy density contest.

I'm hoping in the future enemies can receive modifiers like in Diablo, or there are skulls like from halo that change the game and shake things up. Maybe increase legendary enemy spawns in GM3 but reduce health a bit so it's not too long...
Message 6 of 7 (109 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

If you have a javelin capable of cruising GM2 than GM2 HoR is statistically faster compared to GM1 HoR:

https://youtu.be/5MJRXxWOW8M

Message 7 of 7 (99 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help