Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Legion of Dawn Edition Armor Pre-Order Bonus Question.

by MakoRuu

Original Post

Highlighted

Re: Legion of Dawn Edition Armor Pre-Order Bonus Question.

★★★★★ Guide

@MakoRuu wrote:
Still no definitive answer.

I'm getting a sense of Ben Irving's thinking process which, to a degree, may take into account the sentiments of BioWare Studios as a whole.  This comes down to the *Spirit* of what a pre-order bonus is suppose to represent.  Mr. Irving's short answer, now, would be "no."  However, if a big enough stink was made about this resulting in further discussion back at HQ, the dev team may compromise.  Such a compromise would take the form of a "LOD Themed Knock-off" a spin-off of the original.  So basically, other Legion of Dawn looking sets but not of the same design and shape.  Especially, if the Legion of Dawn story becomes more central to the game at some future point in time, this is when related sets would be introduced and some of which will look very, very close to what was given as the pre-order... but not *advertised* "as being the same."

Message 11 of 22 (257 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Champion

@AzKnc wrote:

Look at all other EA or BW games on Origin. Literally ALL of them give you the option to upgrade to the deluxe version even years after launch. They'll never say no to you wanting to give them more money at a later date.

Also, having an origin premier subscription, gives you all the content of the legion of dawn edition as long as said subscription is active, even if you sub post launch and don't even have the game or only have the standard edition, which strongly suggests that content (the LoD one) will never be a pre order only thing.

The benefit of pre ordering is related to the standard edition, cause you get stuff that wouldn't otherwise (post launch) be in the standard edition.

I’m pretty sure you’d have to have the Origin Premier subscription active *during launch* to get the LoD edition. I very much doubt you’ll be able to just activate it after release and get the pre-order exclusive perks. And from what I’ve heard, “the devs have stated” that the LoD armor set will be exclusive to the pre-order (although I can’t link to the actual statements by the devs themselves).

I think part of it has to do with Anthem being heavily multiplayer-focused from the start, which gives exclusives a different kind of value. In a single-player game, at the end of the day people can always mod or hack the game to enable the content they want. In a multiplayer game, you can’t really mod your armor to show up as LoD to other players.

I personally am not a fan of “you had to be there” exclusives myself, and I wouldn’t put it completely past EA to put it up on sale anyways at some point later down the road. But if they do, they’d likely be pissing off a lot of people, including people who are pre-ordering as a show of support for Bioware as a studio despite not necessarily being that interested in the game itself. They’d also be reinforcing the idea that you’re always better off just waiting until the game goes on sale, which is not in their best interest in the long run.

That said, the game is literally built around cosmetics as its primary monetization model, so I doubt the Legion set is going to be the best looking set ever and nothing is ever going to surpass it going forward. I bet that within months there will be several other sets that will make the Legion set look cheesy in comparison.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 12 of 22 (247 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Novice
is it also true you get those benefits for Premiere because I read the site were it says you get EVERYTHING with the premiere but also lose it if you stop paying.
Message 13 of 22 (239 Views)
Highlighted

★ Guide

@IVPhoenixIX wrote:
I feel pretty certain that the LoD armor will be available to everyone at some point. Preorder "bonuses" like that (things that are worth selling) are never exclusive for a long time.

I think Warframe did a great job on granting Founders founder privilege.  I am proud to mess around with my Excal Prime.

Message 14 of 22 (231 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@xDjevik wrote:
is it also true you get those benefits for Premiere because I read the site were it says you get EVERYTHING with the premiere but also lose it if you stop paying.

You won't even be able to access the game when the subscription is inactive.  But you would be able to get back everything the moment you subscribe again.

Premier here.

Message 15 of 22 (230 Views)
Highlighted

Champion

@HK-SHArK-FiN wrote:

@xDjevik wrote:

You won't even be able to access the game when the subscription is inactive.  But you would be able to get back everything the moment you subscribe again.

Premier here.

The question is still whether you’d get the LoD edition if you subscribe (or re-subscribe) *after* release. If so, I guess someone could pay $15/mo to wear the Legion armor if they really wanted to. Though I’m also not sure how your gemstore unlocks would work if you had a Premier LoD and a standard edition on the same account.

Another possibility is that there almost certainly will be physical copies of the LoD edition on ebay, so you may be able to get a code from one of those even after launch. Though that would probably be at least twice as expensive as pre-ordering it, and may or may not technically violate the EULA.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

Message 16 of 22 (220 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Judging from the other games, there is a high chance for BioWare to check your game version every time you login, and give you access to which ever suit your version.

In this case, the LoD skin would probably get locked and javelins using the skin would be prompt to default, if one downgraded from premier to standard version. OVERKILL practiced this in their games like PAYDAY series, where you could access certain items if you have the corresponding DLC. The access would be re-locked if you refund the DLC. Tried myself to grab a better discount.

I believe asking BioWare Head producer on Twitter is the best way to confirm.

Message 17 of 22 (206 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Champion

That would make sense, but what could also potentially happen is all of your entitlements may get linked to the game version you purchased it from, meaning you may lose access to any cosmetics you bought from within the Premier LoD, not just the Legion set (and conversely, you may not actually get access to any cosmetics you bought in SE when playing LoD).

Not to mention the possibility of the system totally derping out and not assigning the entitlements properly at all, creating exciting future headaches both for you and for customer support. Assuming you can even have two different versions of the game on your account to begin with.

In other words, you may not want to count on going the Premier route for this, unless you intend to commit to it and just become a permanent subscriber.

Message 18 of 22 (192 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Guide

Honestly, I hope not. At least not unless you plan to pay the whole price for it. I mean if I had it my way, I would make sure that the founder banner was permanently locked the moment the VIP Demo ended except to those of course who couldn't get it do to problems with the servers but had a code to participate or either kind of access pass. As for the Legion of Dawn specific gear, I would have it locked and only available to people with LoD. People who paid for the actual original source of it should be the only ones to actually have it. It should be a exclusive that stays that way like exclusives use to be. Warframe has been going for 6 years and the Excalibur Prime was a PC exclusive and it's going to forever stay that way. The Halo Reach blue flaming helmet and the red firing helmets were exclusives for certain people at certain times and and to this day you still can't get them. This should be the case with Anthem.

Message 19 of 22 (191 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Champion

@WPScorpionWind wrote:

People who paid for the actual original source of it should be the only ones to actually have it. It should be a exclusive that stays that way like exclusives use to be. Warframe has been going for 6 years and the Excalibur Prime was a PC exclusive and it's going to forever stay that way. The Halo Reach blue flaming helmet and the red firing helmets were exclusives for certain people at certain times and and to this day you still can't get them. This should be the case with Anthem.

Why though? Like, I’m just curious what purpose you feel this serves? I didn’t even know Warframe existed until a few months ago. Knowing that there is a bunch of stuff I forever missed out on because I wasn’t playing six years ago simply makes me less inclined to get invested in that game to begin with. Those kinds of exclusives may feel good for the handful of people who are still playing six years later, but I don’t know if they’re necessarily good for the game itself.

Message 20 of 22 (181 Views)
Twitter Stream