Legendary Upgrade "Thorn Apart" Review!

by TheSprinter85

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Legendary Upgrade "Thorn Apart" Review!

Champion

Hi everyone,

I hope you're all having an Egg-celent Easter so far! Standard smile

I was wondering what all of you who have unlocked the upgrade from the Prize Map think of the Rose legendary upgrade "Thorn Apart". For those of you who don't have this upgrade, you can provide feedback later if you would like to. What do you like about the upgrade? What don't you like? Is it too powerful and needs a nerf? Does it need a buff? Or just any opinions on the upgrade, those kinds of feedback. Same with the costumes, what do you think of them? 

I don't have the upgrade just yet but have enough Prize Bulbs that I will be able to buy the Legendary upgrade and the first costume as soon as I jump on the game today. I will be sure to add my thoughts and feedback on this upgrade later after I've given the upgrade a try myself! 

Make sure you all stay safe during these difficult times! Standard smile

Regards

@TheSprinter85 

Message 1 of 11 (1,666 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Legendary Upgrade "Thorn Apart" Review!

★★★★★ Expert
@TheSprinter85 The costume is good, though I do think it makes Rose's eyes look a little funny 😂

As for the upgrade, I think it's going to take a bit of getting used to - it's a peculiar hybrid of GW2's 'Nec Rose & Zen Cactus.

Sorry, but I honestly think it's way too early to declare the upgrade over- (or under-) powered... it's powerful, yes but it won't suit everyone's style & as with the Corn legendary upgrade some players may decide it isn't worth the loss of other upgrades.

While I agree it can one-shot certain characters the plants have a significant deficit of classes able to do that when compared to numerous zombie capabilities, so I think team balance needs to be considered, not just the upgrade in isolation.
The Plants are also a class down, where Zombies have a support character capable of not just one-shotting one player, but several....

I suspect there will be calls for the upgrade to be adjusted in some way, but I would really hope that people will give it a bit of time to settle in, see how it fits into a team, compares in different modes, against differently skilled players etc before calling for changes.

View in thread

Message 3 of 11 (1,579 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Champion

I've obtained the "Thorn Apart" upgrade and the "Celestial Beauty" costume that comes with it. Now for some feedback:

With regards to the costume, I love the costume's design. I think that the design of the costume fits quite well with the legendary upgrade as the costume goes well with the orbs that the legendary upgrade produces by charging your it. 

With regards to the upgrade itself, it's a lot of fun to use. I like how it charges passively, but slowly, or much faster by using your support abilities to help the team or from reviving, the way a support should be played. You can't run off and solo into the action and be able to destroy many zombies at once. You need to charge it by using your abilities in a support way (and from reviving). You get punished if you are not helping your team and going in by yourself. I feel like the "Thorn Apart" attack itself is probably a little bit too powerful as you can instant kill zombies that have lower health. It's extremely easy to kill Imps when not in their Mech. It does a lot of damage, it is not an ability, and it does homing. As much as I love the upgrade, I must admit it is a little bit too powerful and maybe should be looked at a little bit. Maybe a higher charge up time. Overall, I love this upgrade! Standard smile

Upgrades that I use with it are Super Saviour and Refreshing Revive!

Message 2 of 11 (1,597 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@TheSprinter85 The costume is good, though I do think it makes Rose's eyes look a little funny 😂

As for the upgrade, I think it's going to take a bit of getting used to - it's a peculiar hybrid of GW2's 'Nec Rose & Zen Cactus.

Sorry, but I honestly think it's way too early to declare the upgrade over- (or under-) powered... it's powerful, yes but it won't suit everyone's style & as with the Corn legendary upgrade some players may decide it isn't worth the loss of other upgrades.

While I agree it can one-shot certain characters the plants have a significant deficit of classes able to do that when compared to numerous zombie capabilities, so I think team balance needs to be considered, not just the upgrade in isolation.
The Plants are also a class down, where Zombies have a support character capable of not just one-shotting one player, but several....

I suspect there will be calls for the upgrade to be adjusted in some way, but I would really hope that people will give it a bit of time to settle in, see how it fits into a team, compares in different modes, against differently skilled players etc before calling for changes.
Message 3 of 11 (1,580 Views)

★★★ Pro
@TheSprinter85 for me, thorn apart just feels like a budget cant missile, if it was a bit harder to use, could only hit 1 character instead of a million, and costs 5 points.
for its cost and how its used i feel the upgrade is quite balanced. i guess it could use abit of a "cast" animation to allow people to actually react to it. when 80s uses cant missile he stands in place for a solid second and visibly uses the move. rose just seems to attack normally then outta nowhere a volley of homing orbs start rusjing towards her target. thorn apart DEFINITELY does not need any nerfs as far as im concerned ]: |
good fun upgrade overall tho : )
Message 4 of 11 (1,574 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@TheSprinter85 Upgrade is great. I was tired of zombies killing me in 1 second. This evens the odds. Especially when the enemy team has a highly skilled player. Zombies are more powerful so this is much needed for plants.
Message 5 of 11 (1,524 Views)

★ Expert

Love the upgrade and new skin...rose is my new favorite to play...nothing more satisfying then one shot killing a zombie.

One thing I noticed was just time passing gives you the orbs...I thought you had to do support things.

Message 6 of 11 (1,493 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@Gormey  Although her abilities don't heal, they support (suppress the enemy team) the team. Unless she's just going around using her main attack and nothing else, than Iunno. lol

Message 7 of 11 (1,472 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@Gormey Yes, they do charge up slowly without doing anything but much quicker with any support function - so as far as I can make out a vanquish on its own won't gain an orb but one that saves an ally will for example.
Message 8 of 11 (1,413 Views)

Champion

Thanks for your input everyone. I believe you gain charge for your orbs through the use of Jinx (physically Jinxing an enemy and when a Jinxed enemy gets vanquished), Arcane Enigma (speed boosting teammates), Goatify (by Goatifying zombies) and a Revive gives you an Orb, I believe those are the only ways of charging your orbs faster. 

I feel the upgrade is actually quite overpowered as it doesn't even count as an ability to fire your orbs, it's a secondary weapon not an ability. However, it does require you to support your team well and if you don't use your abilities correctly, you are going to have a hard time charging up your orbs.

But I love this upgrade. It does ask you to be supportive and you get rewarded if you do support your team, you will have a hard time using this upgrade if you fail to, as I love support and defend characters the most, it means I get to do something I enjoy doing and get rewarded for it!

I believe the best upgrades to use in conjunction with Thorn Apart are Super Saviour, as you can use your abilities even while reviving and are less vulnerable. You are also able to jump to become harder to hit, good to compensate for low health, and have the option to use Arcane Enigma if needed so you are much more likely to get the revive and less likely to get vanquished. The other upgrade is Refreshing Revive, as by getting a revive, along with an orb, you get all of your abilites back quicker meaning you can charge your orbs faster. Again, that's my opinion! Standard smile Using Super Saviour and Refreshing Revive together make for an excellent combo.

Message 9 of 11 (1,259 Views)

★ Apprentice

I love the thorn apart upgrade. Rose was my main from the beginning and i think that after all the changes, she now is in a very balanced and enjoyable state. The orbs can be very powerful indeed, but on the other hand you have to work for them (or at least wait a long time) for them to charge up, so it should be rewarding. I feel like the Zombies have a couple of high damage abilities and the Plants not.

Message 10 of 11 (1,234 Views)