Legendary Upgrade: Shogun-Guard (Guide)

by TheSprinter85

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Legendary Upgrade: Shogun-Guard (Guide)

[ Edited ]
Champion

Welcome everyone, ...

... To my Legendary Upgrade guide series. In this series, every time a new Legendary Upgrade is released, I will cover them, but first I will be covering the ones that is are already out.

This time, I will be covering the Shogun-Guard upgrade for Kernel Corn! So, if you want to know how to get the upgrade, use it effectively or decide whether it is worth equipping for you, or you just want general notes and/or advice, check out this guide! 

An Overview of Shogun-Guard

Shogun-Guard is a Legendary Upgrade for Kernel Corn. It gives the Kernel Corn a changed primary weapon that deals more damage, but fires slower and has less ammunition (overall, a higher damage per second), along with a personal shield with the lowest health out of any shield in the game, but a unique trait where you can shoot your primary weapon while your shield is active, and your shield is not an ability, so you can use it whenever you want, unless your shield runs out of health and it needs to recharge for a few seconds. Additionally, you can use Butter Beacon, Shuck Shot or revive while you hold up your shield. Just note it only covers half of Corn's front, but it is a quite big shield and it negates critical hits while active. Hold the aim button to activate your shield. 

To watch some gameplay with it, watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu-hIubsj-g

My Personal Legendary Upgrade likeness rating: 90%, as a player who loves defense and shields, this is a fun variant of an Attack character that I enjoy playing. Also, Shogun's shield is my favourite in the game due to its utility it provides while I use it. I sometimes use it to defend Pea Gatling and Sunbeamers along with some other allies (and while reviving of course). I really enjoy the primary weapon, I've learned to become really good at aiming it and landing many of my shots with it.

How to Obtain this Upgrade

To obtain this upgrade, you had to get it in the February Prize Map at the end of the Golden Path. However, if you are a new player and was not able to get this upgrade, or you missed out on this upgrade in the Prize Map, you can also buy it for 300 Rainbow Stars through Rux at any time. Just note that if you did not buy the upgrade through the Prize Map, you will not get to use the Foodal Lord Dracornius or Blade of the Beetle Costume that matches with the Legendary Upgrade alongside it (although, however, I have heard reports of Foodal Lord Dracornius being sold by Rux, so maybe that is a possibility).

When you own this upgrade, you may equip it (and unequip it) as often as you would like, for 5 upgrade points, and you may put it on as many of your Kernel Corn builds as you want at once. Because of the expensive cost to equip, you should consider whether it is worth equipping in some circumstances.

Foodal Lord Dracornius: Foodal Lord Dracornius.PNG

Blade of the Beetle: Blade of the Beetle.PNG

Gameplay

Here is a video I made regarding the basics of this upgrade:

Disadvantages of Upgrade

The disadvantages of this upgrade include:

• You do not have many forms of mobility, and while you are using your shield, you move and turn even more slowly.
  • Being shot from the sides or behind renders your shield useless and you're pretty vulnerable in that position. 
  • Your shield does not cover your entire front.
  • Your shield has low health.
  • You lose rate of fire speed and ammo.
  • With this upgrade, your reload speed is slightly slower but use Rapid Recob to somewhat counter this.

Advantages of Upgrade

The advantages of this upgrade include:

• Overall, a higher DPS.
  • Higher damage output.
  • You can pull out your shield at any time, even if your abilities are negated (there are some exceptions to this).
  • Your shield allows you to use your primary weapon with it active.
  • You can use Butter Beacon and Shuck Shot with the shield active.
  • You can block some insta-vanquish attacks with it, such as ZPG (proven fact).
  • You can activate your shield when reviving allies with (almost) no restrictions.
  • You can put yourself in positions where the bottom half of Corn's body is covered by walls or terrain, meaning the shield only covering half of Corn is negated for the time being.

Tips for Using this Upgrade Effectively

You have got to practice with this upgrade in order to get a lot better with it. It changes the Corn's playstyle, here, I will share my personal tips with you to help you do better with Kernel Corn:

• Attacking at long range benefits Corn with this upgrade more.
  • When you are firing at enemies, try and vanquish weakened enemies first. Use Butter Beacon for a damage increase.
  • Shogun-Guard gives you a significant damage boost when you inflict critical hits, so try to inflict as many critical hits as possible.
  • It's probably worth trying to use your abilities when you really need them, if possible, such as escaping or for quickly defeating a tough enemy.
  • When you revive players, always have your shield up if possible, unless no enemies are present.
  • When you use the shield, try and either back up into a wall or use terrain to cover the bottom half of Corn to make the shield more effective.
  • If you are at low health, try and get into a position where you can shield yourself and provide more cover fire for your team.
  • If an enemy gets too close to you, try to move a distance from them and attack from there, whether it is by sprinting or using Husk Hop.
  • Be careful of insta-vanquish attacks and abilities that go through your shield. Many of them do (not ZPG if it hits the top half of Corn).
  • Perhaps try and shield other players using your shield in certain situations, such as when a Peashooter is using Pea Gatling, stay close to them and provide them with a shield AND cover fire.

I have attached a video of using Shogun-Guard in PvP, if you are interesting in watching some Shogun-Guard PvP gameplay.

(Me on top half of screen, my brother on the bottom half).

What could you equip for your other 2 upgrade points?

You have 2 extra upgrade points that you can use when you attach this upgrade. My suggestions on some combos you can equip are:

• Rapid Recob (2 upgrade points). You can reload really fast while equipped, meaning you can nearly shoot indefinitely and will not be caught out reloading. You can also have your shield active while reloading for protection, and it will not cancel the reload.
  • Refreshing Revive, Combo and Low Life (1 upgrade point each). Just note that you can only pick 2 of these upgrades to choose. Refreshing Revive gives you your abilities back faster, which you can shield while you are doing so as well, Combo if you get multiple vanquishes using your abilities or with your Primary Weapon, to get ability usage back faster, and Low Life, when you are low health, protect yourself with the shield, and try and vanquish someone. If you manage to vanquish someone, enjoy a top-up of 30 health.

Who does Shogun-Guard Hard Counter (opinion)?

Captain Deadbeard. His Primary attack does low damage to you, and he shouldn't be able to get up close to you anyway. His Secondary requires charge-up. If you have your shield active, he cannot deal critical damage to you. Snipers deal significantly extra critical damage, and he is unable to with it active. Additionally, he cannot destroy your shield with one fully charged shot. He also cannot vanquish you instantly with a fully charged attack without the shield. This makes it harder for the Captain Deadbeard to vanquish you.

Barrel Blast requires him to get close to you, if you see him approaching you in Barrel Blast, either use your primary weapon to quickly knock him out of Barrel Blast, or use Shuck Shot to destroy it quickly, or Husk Hop to avoid the explosion and possibly destroy the Barrel. If you see him using his Parrot Pal, you may want to get away from it, or try and quickly jump while shooting in an attempt to destroy it. Anchor's Away makes him vulnerable as he can't counterattack while using it, and you should be a fair distance away from him anyway.

Using Abilities in Sync with Upgrade

Butter Beacon: You are able to activate this ability even with your shield active, making you less vulnerable to enemies' attacks while you use this ability. You can use Butter Beacon when in the heat of combat in order to temporarily increase your damage against nearby enemies using your Primary Weapon and other abilities. Also aim for Critical Hits at this point as they get greatly boosted while your enemies are affected by Butter Beacon. You can then use your abilities to deal devastating, or take the chance to deal extra damage afterwards. If you are hiding at low health, you can also use this ability to assist your team by highlighting enemies, or to see if there are enemies near you. Just be mindful that enemies will know when they have spotted, and they will know that you are nearby.

Husk Hop: This ability can be really damaging to enemies you manage to hit, but you are also left vulnerable during the ability and for a short time after it has successfully resolved. This ability should be used either to try and vanquish enemies that get too close to you (Steam Blaster for example), to get away from enemies or for general mobility, or to get to a height. Try to save this ability for when you need it, as it can have a lot of good uses, but you may be left vulnerable when you activate it, so be mindful of that.

Shuck Shot: Shuck Shot can deal a lot of damage, and is very effective especially when used against clustered enemies. Thankfully, you are able to use your shield while you are using your Shuck Shot, similar to the way Extra Special upgrade works for Super Brainz. A great time to use this can be as a finisher on enemies, or when your enemies closely cluster. It takes a while for the ability to resolve, because of the delay and the time it takes to fire two cobs, so try to think ahead before you use it. Shield yourself if you think it is necessary. You can shield even while your Shuck Shot is resolving. You could also use cover while you wait for the delay to end, then pop out and fire those shucks!

Conclusion

This Legendary Upgrade can be hard to obtain and uses up a lot of your upgrade points to equip, but it is a very good upgrade if you can use it (along with the abilities) properly. Use your last 2 upgrade points very wisely if you run this upgrade, as running this upgrade really limits the other options you have to equip. The most popular used upgrade alongside this is Rapid Recob. This upgrade allows you to deal more damage, and gain protection, but to achieve your maximum possible damage, you need to hit a lot of your shots.

I suggest trying this upgrade and deciding whether you like it, if you have not.

Hopefully this guide was helpful to some at least, see you around fellow people!

Signed

@TheSprinter85 

Message 1 of 6 (1,414 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Legendary Upgrade: Shogun-Guard (Guide)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@Fork_x_SpoonIt was a secret buff from the recent patch notes.

View in thread

Message 4 of 6 (1,347 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@TheSprinter85You can also use Shuck Shot while the shield is active.

Message 2 of 6 (1,368 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

You can use Shuck Shot while the shield is active? Only I wouldn't have known something this minor yet useful for six months.

Message 3 of 6 (1,355 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@Fork_x_SpoonIt was a secret buff from the recent patch notes.

Message 4 of 6 (1,348 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@TheSprinter85 Thank you for your detailed guide Standard smile! I'm terrible at playing with this upgrade so I hope your guide will help me.
Ona side note, I think legendary upgrades should be purchasable with coins instead of rainbow stars. Most legendary upgrades are better than the normal character variant, and making them purchasable with real money adds pay to win elements to a paid game.
Message 5 of 6 (1,345 Views)

Champion

@Cameroid07  Actually, I thank you for bringing this up, I actually mentioned this several times that you can "Shuck Shot while holding your shield". The other day, me and my brother was messing around with Shogun (as you do) and we realised that we were suddenly able to Shuck Shot with the shield active, I was about to report it in Bug Reports, but then realised that it was probably a legitimate change. So, I just went with it and I incorporated it into my guide I wrote yesterday, so that other players know how to do the same thing. I had tested this in the past and it has not worked. I did test Husk Hop and you can't shield while using Husk Hop, which would not make sense anyway.

@Fork_x_Spoon  Agreed, if you were able to do this for the last 6 months and I did not know about it, I wouldn't know what to say.

@benn1nat0r  As a max ranker, I know for a fact that you would have a decent amount of play time on each of your characters, correct me if I am wrong, but I am glad to know that you will still be able to benefit from some of my guides (e.g. this one). Hopefully, this guide assists newbies and players who do not use this upgrade much, do not have it yet, or are not very good with using it. I would agree that all of the Legendary Upgrades are at least somewhat better than their regular counterparts. Making them cost coins instead of Rainbow Stars from Rux would save players a lot of trouble and won't make it (near) locked behind a paywall. 

I finally managed to figure out how to upload YouTube videos onto the forum - bliss for that!

Message 6 of 6 (1,329 Views)