Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Legendary Items Should Not Have Been In the Game

by BarqqDogg

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Legendary Items Should Not Have Been In the Game

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Why does this game feel like it has loot issues? It's because the game treats two tiers of items like end-game items: MW and Legendary. They've made 2 tiers to be extremely rare in comparison to purples. Especially legendaries. 

I have bread to earn. I spend around 2 hours a day playing the game. More on days I have off, of course. I, along with most gamers out there, are not in college anymore where we can sink in countless hours grinding like those old school looter games. Even with capped 90% luck, I only get around 1 legendary per 3 days or so. Amounting to approximately 1 per 6 hours.It feels like the game has loot issue. But does it really? Let me elaborate. 

Most games have only 1 endgame item tier. Diablo 3 has legendary, and Destiny 2 has exotic, the Division likewise has exotic. Destiny and the Division both have guaranteed exotic award as you sink in hours of the game while Diablo 3 has guaranteed improvements to your items through gem combining, which are very common.  

Each. And. Every. Single. One. has some sort of guaranteed end-tier item functionality. If you sink in enough time, you will be able to progress your character regardless of how unlucky you are. 

Anthem does also.... Sort of. You have guaranteed Masterwork drop for bosses and as a legendary mission reward. In place of extreme rarity, Bioware implemented a guaranteed system for Masterwork items much like Division and Destiny. 

Let's imagine that legendaries are completely removed from the game, and MW is the endgame tier. You would find that this game excels. After sinking about 20 hours after max level, you would have a mosh-posh set of masterworks that really don't sync up with each other for that perfect build. So, the rest of the endgame would be to get a ton of duplicates of the same kind to roll that perfect set of stats that can help you melt even GM3 opponents. All things considered, MW drop rates wouldn't be that bad, and hardly anybody would complain about the loot rate. So, in a way, the game doesn't have loot issues if we consider MW to be endgame tier.

But let's face it. Masterworks are trash items as much as the purple ones after you pick up ONE - just ONE - legendary. The power scale will ultimately offset most other MW you would replace the legendary with. Legendary items are endgame items, not MWs. Yet Anthem treats MW like an endgame tier. 

If this were so, endgame tier drop rate as it stands now would be fine. But this is not the case. As of now, I have 8 legendaries. 4 weapons, 3 Q/Es. and 1 component for a jav I don't even play on. That's about 48 hours of gameplay. Now, for me to get even 6 different legendary components for my main jav, I would statistically have to sink in close to 350 hours. The math is not exact.  

Now, even with that 350 hours, the likelihood of my jav having a set of stats that make it optimal is slim to none. To do so, I would have to sink in THOUSANDS of hours. 

This is why Anthem feels like it has loot drop rate issues. The devs probably thought that it's fine to have legendary drop rates as it is now because Masterworks are also endgame tiers. This is furthest from the truth. 

The ONLY solution this game has now is to make it rain because of this quite idiotic design flaw. 

Message 1 of 32 (546 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Legendary Items Should Not Have Been In the Game

★★★★ Novice
The thing with destiny exotics, is they aren't impacting your power level. If I have a full set of gear without a single exotic, I can still hit max light, and I can still do raids, and nightfalls, and other end game activities without any issue. Anthem doesn't do this, and THAT is the problem.

They could fix it in one of two ways.
1) make legs drop like hot-cakes
2) up masterworks to 75

I think they should up mw items to 75, with the same armor and shield reinforcement as legendaries, and then add an additional perk to legs to make them more desirable, but not required or needed to be stronger. Say a leg divine vengeance does big explosion damage AND restored 5% armor on detonation or something... While the mw only does the explosion.

View in thread

Message 13 of 32 (181 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Guide
actually Diablo has 2 as well leg and set items. division as well.
Message 2 of 32 (520 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

The key thing in Destiny 2 is Xur.  Once a week you can buy an exotic from him, and it's guaranteed to be one you don't already have.  And there are (at least when I played) NO perk/inscription rolls on it, so you only need one of each item.  So the result is you have a simple time gate, even if you don't get those last couple of drops (and I didn't), you will still get every exotic eventually--BUT if you play more, you can probabilistically get them faster.

As many people have pointed out, a lot of looter games (all the good ones, anyway) have ways of mitigating RNG to some extent; e.g. by having specific items in specific loot pools so you can direct your effort toward getting the item you want.  In Destiny 2, this is taken to an even higher extreme than usual; e.g. the drop rate for IKELOS weapons from Escalation Protocol far exceeds any drop rate you'd find in ESO.

I hate to say Destiny did something right, because so much of it I absolutely despise, but there you go.

Instead Anthem has a stereotypical diminishing returns system, where the more you play, the less you get per time spent.  Pretty much everyone hates this.

Message 3 of 32 (518 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@MagikarpsGhost wrote:
actually Diablo has 2 as well leg and set items. division as well.

Set items are legendaries though.

Message 4 of 32 (491 Views)

★★ Guide

excuse me :0

Destiny 2 not guarantee exotic drop . you silly . :d 

and exotic in D2 is a crappy thing ever. its a junk thing. just only some exotic is op . and that exotic is rare drop ever . D: 

I just got my jotun from Belgursia forge, a month ago . when I back there and I am 120 or 140 cycle on that forge at my avatar :0

someone got it fast like just 20 cycle . its rngsus . or it perfectly gender wall ~\O/~#!@#

Message 5 of 32 (481 Views)

★★★ Guide

@MagikarpsGhost 

Primals also (Diablo)

Message 6 of 32 (466 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I agree MW should have been top tier   but sadly they added legends and then made things like passive damage effect and ultimates scale HUGELY off item level....so now we need legends in those slots as they balanced the top power levels around that

delete legend and scale everything down to be in line with full MW ilevel….but you cant do that now bioware can you.....stuck in the middle of what to do....fix drops or don't fix drops.....the later isn't helping so lets try the other one and up drops to full MW and stop rare/epic from dropping in ANY GM level for a start

Message 7 of 32 (459 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@2Weak2Live wrote:

The key thing in Destiny 2 is Xur.  Once a week you can buy an exotic from him, and it's guaranteed to be one you don't already have.  And there are (at least when I played) NO perk/inscription rolls on it, so you only need one of each item.  So the result is you have a simple time gate, even if you don't get those last couple of drops (and I didn't), you will still get every exotic eventually--BUT if you play more, you can probabilistically get them faster.

As many people have pointed out, a lot of looter games (all the good ones, anyway) have ways of mitigating RNG to some extent; e.g. by having specific items in specific loot pools so you can direct your effort toward getting the item you want.  In Destiny 2, this is taken to an even higher extreme than usual; e.g. the drop rate for IKELOS weapons from Escalation Protocol far exceeds any drop rate you'd find in ESO.

I hate to say Destiny did something right, because so much of it I absolutely despise, but there you go.

Instead Anthem has a stereotypical diminishing returns system, where the more you play, the less you get per time spent.  Pretty much everyone hates this.

With regards to the bolded, unless this changed recently, this isn't necessarily true.  At least in my experience.  I played a bunch of Destiny 1 and 2 and I definitely got pissed on more than  one occasion when I saw Xur selling something I already had.

Message 8 of 32 (424 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@TheSpaceDodo wrote:

@2Weak2Live wrote:

With regards to the bolded, unless this changed recently, this isn't necessarily true.  At least in my experience.  I played a bunch of Destiny 1 and 2 and I definitely got pissed on more than  one occasion when I saw Xur selling something I already had.

Xur has both a rotating set of items and a special engram that's guaranteed new.

Message 9 of 32 (410 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@BarqqDogg 

I see what you are saying but Legendary Items do take it to the next level, they are not the issue in my opinion.

The issue is that they are PURPOSELY holding back on them.

When the drop rate was too high, they so quickly reduced it. To do that they had to know how to change the algorithms both up and down the spectrum.

Message 10 of 32 (402 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help