Re: Lead developer leaves Apex

by hayhor

Original Post

Lead developers leave Apex

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Another dev leaves Respawn, more specifically Apex Legends. Jason McCord, the Design Director at Respawn has said his goodbye on twitter. It seems that he’s leaving in good terms.

Devs come and go in different projects/games but having the design director will definitely shake things up in the game. 

- Is the recent wave of multiple developers leaving Respawn the reason why the game feels lacking content wise?

- Are you hopeful with the future of the game now that there are new people taking over these positions or are you worried for the future of the game?

6E75D3C0-CC7E-498D-A2F2-FB5AC0067DD0.jpeg

Message 1 of 19 (1,288 Views)

Champion
@Cheese9Man People move jobs and companies all the time. I don't think it is anything to worry about.
Message 2 of 19 (1,274 Views)

★★ Guide
@hayhor wrong, people leave jobs only if:

a) they messed up and don't want to clean it (might be Apex case) or they are just fired for it

b) people realize that they can't "act like working" no more and employer finally demands results

c) someone pays more for the same amount of work

d) current employer is just a D#$#, values do not match between the person and the company, company shifts from startup mentality to corporate efficiency mode aka milk the cow atmosphere

But I mean that it can't get much worse :D hope he was responsible for anti-cheat development :D
Message 3 of 19 (1,222 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Forgot to mention that the game director of Apex, Chad Grenier left as well. Here’s his message to the community https://bit.ly/3IiMCS8

C081D6AF-6FCE-4FFE-9DA2-D143A39A845B.jpeg

Message 4 of 19 (1,202 Views)

Champion
@EREGDS So I'm wrong for saying people leave jobs but then you give reasons why? You've lost me.
Message 5 of 19 (1,197 Views)

★★★ Guide
@hayhor What he means is that people dont leave jobs without any reason and when many people leave in a short amount of time, something in the background might be wrong
Message 6 of 19 (1,183 Views)

@EREGDS wrote:
@hayhor wrong, people leave jobs only if:

a) they messed up and don't want to clean it (might be Apex case) or they are just fired for it

b) people realize that they can't "act like working" no more and employer finally demands results

c) someone pays more for the same amount of work

d) current employer is just a D#$#, values do not match between the person and the company, company shifts from startup mentality to corporate efficiency mode aka milk the cow atmosphere

But I mean that it can't get much worse :D hope he was responsible for anti-cheat development :D

Kinda wrong, IT / Game development has one of the highest turnover rate.
Changing jobs is just now more frequent and doesn't always has a good reason. 

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png
Message 7 of 19 (1,171 Views)

Champion
@RevMainPls Well yeah there is a reason for everything but that doesn't change the fact people leave jobs. I work in automotive. I have customers that change jobs all the time. Some are chasing money, some are leaving bad employers or bosses and some just want a change period. Lots of people leave after another person leaves because those people start to think about it.

Maybe the people leaving are tired of working on the same game for 5 years and want to try something else. No one knows.
Message 8 of 19 (1,164 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@ZeelmaekersYes my buddy who works in the same field also switches companies like every other year. But is it kinda worrisome that most of the core team members of the Apex team left in a short span of time of around less than half a year?
Having said that, new people in these positions will have fresh new ideas for the game. Apex definitely needs fresh new ideas for content. I still go back to JayBiebs replacing DZK as the head of game balance and now the legends and weapons balances are better than ever. 

Message 9 of 19 (1,161 Views)

Definitely!
You can also look at the bright side, new people = new ideas, different viewpoints.
I think it's positive that they switch jobs and explore other companies/jobs.

Of course, the switch can sometimes have a worse effect, but as long the person in question is leaving saying he has an amazing time, I'm not worried that the game will be affected in the future.

I don't think there is something going on in the back like Blizzard/Activision atm, they just fired part of their QA team.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png
Message 10 of 19 (1,157 Views)