Re: Lazy Development is ruining this game

by neillkorey

Original Post

Lazy Development is ruining this game

★★ Apprentice

Bored now.... as are 50%+ of the player base.

Same issues, Same map, same characters, hugggeeee improvement patch ( yeah : / )

New season soon after the last season pass I am not hopeful but with the promise of 1 gun and a new legend which imo won't be enough...

Lazy development AND bad interaction with the player base is ruining this game.

Yes it's a F2P game, Yes it's only been out a few months but imo these are crucial months... I imagine the figures speak for themselves I wonder how much the player base has dropped off?

Respwn are out of their depth it seems -_-

Message 1 of 14 (815 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@faithly88I suppose developers have made a rod for their own backs by trying to deliver content to satiate the constant demand for it even though it's a struggle to keep up. But also because the line between entertainment and games is blurred. So, in my opinion, players who want entertainment from game are probably the ones who have the greatest demand for new content. Whereas people who play games for the sport aren't probably as demanding. Personally, I couldn't care less if there were no skins and no Legends and the same weapons for the entire life of the game. I would play Apex if it just had a few maps, no classes and perhaps just a few expansions.

Message 2 of 14 (762 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

I see what your saying and agree and disagree...

I have 0 interest in skins and trivial tosh, but maps, legends and potential new guns are something I am interested in. I think the lack of additional maps is potentially the hardest hitting thing atm which is feeling stale.

I am not asking for monthly content by any stretch but feel the speed at which they are planning to bring things out, every new season is pretty slow.

I wish I could be as content as you Warslag...

Message 3 of 14 (753 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

New maps I agree, But as @warslag said. I could care less about more guns and skins also

Message 4 of 14 (742 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@faithly88If that last line was a pun, I like it. :eahigh_file: But yeah I am quite content. Only cheating winds me up.

I come from a background in gaming where additional content didn't really exist and only started to appear in earnest with online games and then snowballed as the delivery of new content became a feature in itself. So I guess I have faith in developers because the base gameplay is what's important to me and additional content is just a very secondary bonus. The basic game should always completely outshine any kind of new content, anyway. Otherwise the game would probably be rubbish in the first place. If a game has honesty and integrity or at least an amount of each of those properties then it doesn't really need all the extra bells and whistles.

Nerd

Message 5 of 14 (737 Views)

★★ Pro

@warslag wrote:

@faithly88If that last line was a pun, I like it. :eahigh_file: But yeah I am quite content. Only cheating winds me up.

I come from a background in gaming where additional content didn't really exist and only started to appear in earnest with online games and then snowballed as the delivery of new content became a feature in itself. So I guess I have faith in developers because the base gameplay is what's important to me and additional content is just a very secondary bonus. The basic game should always completely outshine any kind of new content, anyway. Otherwise the game would probably be rubbish in the first place. If a game has honesty and integrity or at least an amount of each of those properties then it doesn't really need all the extra bells and whistles.

Nerd

Generally I'd agree with this, but unfortunately in a Battle Royale game (ESPECIALLY a F2P one), they use skins, characters, etc. to make money. Eventually people will realize they're paying money for the same base game - over and over again - unless there's new content. If the idea is to roll out slower, more "meaningful" updates, then the base game needs to be meaningful first, but it's not after you max your Battle Pass. That's not an opinion, that's just fact. Meaningful means you're working towards something, but there's nothing to work for right now. If they keep the base game and add one character, one gun, and weekly challenges, that would help tremendously. Those aren't huge changes and add longevity to the season. I personally think it's a blast to play when I have friends online, but if I'm being honest with myself, there's not much of a base here. We can't excuse devs and say things like, "As long as the mechanics are good, everything flows, etc, it'll be fine." No. That doesn't cut it. Not in this modern gaming era. Those are all things a game should have by default, NOT things we should be hoping a game has. That's like saying I want a girlfriend with a job and a car. No. By default, any adult should have a car and be making money. These are basic things. They're not bells and whistles at this point.

*rant over*

Message 6 of 14 (721 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@jonesy0218 wrote:

@warslag wrote:

Nerd

Generally I'd agree with this, but unfortunately in a Battle Royale game (ESPECIALLY a F2P one), they use skins, characters, etc. to make money. Eventually people will realize they're paying money for the same base game - over and over again - unless there's new content. If the idea is to roll out slower, more "meaningful" updates, then the base game needs to be meaningful first, but it's not after you max your Battle Pass. That's not an opinion, that's just fact. Meaningful means you're working towards something, but there's nothing to work for right now. If they keep the base game and add one character, one gun, and weekly challenges, that would help tremendously. Those aren't huge changes and add longevity to the season. I personally think it's a blast to play when I have friends online, but if I'm being honest with myself, there's not much of a base here. We can't excuse devs and say things like, "As long as the mechanics are good, everything flows, etc, it'll be fine." No. That doesn't cut it. Not in this modern gaming era. Those are all things a game should have by default, NOT things we should be hoping a game has. That's like saying I want a girlfriend with a job and a car. No. By default, any adult should have a car and be making money. These are basic things. They're not bells and whistles at this point.

*rant over*

Well, I guess perhaps I just look a bit deeper at things. The comparison you made between content in Apex and how you choose partners based on whether they have a car is a good example. Personally, I believe that things like personality character, honesty, integrity and intelligence are all far better traits to look for in everything. But sure, I acknowledge that there also exists a purely superficial and consumeristic view towards just about everything, including people, who are also often treated as commodities.

Developers cannot keep up with some of demands being made without breaking their backs, and they've quite rightly said they're not prepared to do that. I support that.

Message 7 of 14 (705 Views)

★★ Pro

@warslag I can agree with that. They weren't ready for the explosion haha. We're just in a time where the bar has been set higher by other games, so trying to compete in this space requires more firepower than they've got at the moment. 

Message 8 of 14 (700 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

What's wrong with boredom? There are thousands of things we can do in this life,  boredom is actually good because it helps breaking routines and pushing us towards healthy vacations and new discoveries.

Apex Legends doesn't need to become the Matrix, I don't want to live in those shacks from Kings Canyon and die every 5 minutes. I already got hundreds of hours of combat fun without paying a dime, that's like infinite value per money spent Standard smile, so it just doesn't feel right to "expect" more. Yes, the game has a huge potential, but there are many others worth playing, so I don't see a problem in running this one less often, take a few months off or even quit it for good. Apex Legends is already a proven success, certainly not just in my opinion and regardless of the upcoming updates or lack of them.

Calling developers lazy or indifferent is plain wrong, they spent years more with this project and certainly care a lot more about their own creation than any player. The funny thing is that the frustration behind these callings actually contradicts them. Players move on over bad or average games easily, but Respawn created an excellent game, so the devs must be great. Not a synonym for lazy or indifferent, right?

Message 9 of 14 (628 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@jonesy0218 

fortnite is literally the only game that gets weekly updates cod battlefield don’t get weekly updates and don’t get me started on pubg which on console can’t even run a steady 30fps after almost 2 years out. But your right the bar has been set super high by all the other games out right now lol

Message 10 of 14 (611 Views)