Re: Latest update added HDR (One S)

by Koochi-Q

Original Post

Latest update added HDR (One S)

I didn’t see this mentioned anywhere in the patch notes but I was surprised to see my HDR notification pop up when booting the game up today (I have an Xbox One S). I’m pleasantly surprised by this especially considering the large amount of seemingly negative news about this season (which I still have no experience with, just sitting in firing range atm). Nice to see older machines getting this feature. My TV has mediocre HDR but still cool to have regardless.

Message 1 of 7 (734 Views)

@MyName1sNotJohn popped up for me too but it seemed very bright to me. For sone reason the TV reset itself and the picture mode needed to be reset to "game" . 

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png
Please note:
I am a Community Volunteer.
I do not work for EA.
My views are my own.
Message 2 of 7 (728 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@MyName1sNotJohn Did you update your xbox in last couple of days? The new Xboxes (XSX and XSS) will have auto HDR... the same feature has been brought to your console now as well. That’s why you see it being called Auto HDR.

Open other games and you’ll see the same. It’s not that HDR was added, it’s the Xbox algorithm that ‘forces’ HDR to be applied to many/most/all games for best viewing.

If you have HDR on your tv it should notify you every time you watch HDR content. That notification is different from from the Auto-HDR notification you’re seeing. That’s another way you can distinguish true from auto hdr
Message 3 of 7 (709 Views)

@Koochi-Q wrote:
@MyName1sNotJohnDid you update your xbox in last couple of days? The new Xboxes (XSX and XSS) will have auto HDR... the same feature has been brought to your console now as well. That’s why you see it being called Auto HDR

I have seen zero information about Auto HDR being a current gen (soon to be last gen) feature that they are adding to older consoles, can you provide a source for this? 

Message 4 of 7 (670 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@MyName1sNotJohn It hasn’t been announced, there’s no articles about it either seems like it.

Auto-HDR as I stated is software based via an AI based algorithm that it will do over games that have no HDR settings like OG xbox/360 games or even alot of Xbox One games, which gets better over time. So it’s no stretch that they also apply it to Xbox One family since it’ll provide more data.

The feature is prominently showcased as an instrumental part for Xbox Series family, but they never said it won’t be on the One family. So some articles may appear in the near future. But for now you can just ‘test‘ my theory by going on Xbox and you’ll see that it says Auto-HDR even when you’re not in a game but press the guide button.
Message 5 of 7 (661 Views)

Ok interesting I’ll have to mess with that later. I have only noticed this with Apex because I saw no change in other games since the most recent system update (which I thought was mainly focused on the UI). In any case that would be cool if it actually did get added across the board as you said. 

Message 6 of 7 (642 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@MyName1sNotJohn I’d say check it out. Likely games that already featured HDR will get the native HDR(10+) or Dolby Atmos HDR and without get the Auto-HDR. I’ll check settings and see if there’s some mention about it.

If I do, I’ll report back
Message 7 of 7 (640 Views)