Re: Lagging when facing enemy

by EA_Darko

Original Post

Lagging when facing enemy

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

I drop zone with 2 teammates, I follow 1 teammate on looting, just behind him, everything went fast, then 1 teammate suddenly bump into  1 enemy face to face (2-3 meter away), then suddenly everything went into slowwww mooottttiiooonnnnnnnn.

I thought I'm the only one having this problem, my teammate actually has the same experience when he bumps into the enemy.  After enemy down for 2-3 seconds, it's getting back to normal.

My guess is the enemy has slow internet connection(long ping) so when you bump into one, the server has to slow down to the slowest connection of all three of us to make it fair to the slowest connection. Since the server has to wait what the enemy is doing, and report their action to us so the client can display in our screen.

Enemy   -(slow connection) --- Server ----(fast connection)--  US

Punch                                                                                     

(1 second)

(2 second)

Punch action received

Server calculates if the punch is really landing based on player location/position, then calculate the damages.  

Send punch action and damages to another client 

Display on screen(2 second delay)

The server knows each player ping delay, 

So if enemy ping delay is 1 second and your ping delay is 0.5 second,

your action will be delayed by 0.5 seconds on the server to make it fair,

the side effect, all other players surrounding him will have slow motion experience.

This could explain the lagging experience many player encounters.

Note:

The bigger the delay between them, the worst the experience.

That's the reason if your connection is slow and your ping is too high, they kick you out so you don't impact other people experience.

If the server doesn't do this, the fastest client will have an advantage since their punch will land first before the enemy punch (even though they punch at the same time)

Message 1 of 3 (223 Views)

Community Manager

It sounds like you may be having issues with your connection @asukojo. I would suggest taking a look at our Connection troubleshooting steps which you can find here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/connection-troubleshooting-basic/

It'll take you a couple of minutes to do them all but please do take the time and do them all.

Let me know how you get on.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 3 (181 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Darko, I would disagree it's only my connection since everybody nearby that player got same experience for short duration. 

You can ask Dev to check how they handle battle when one of the player has much slower ping/delay than others then you might find my logic make sense.

One solution could have tighter ping range (50-100 ms), then kick them sooner if the ping suddenly go beyond that and the battle is happening.

Message 3 of 3 (167 Views)