Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

LEGAL: BioWare Has 9 Days Left to Deliver the Following Features

by Fatebinder

Original Post

Re: LEGAL: BioWare Has 9 Days Left to Deliver the Following Features

★★★★ Novice

I had high hopes for this franchise. I wish I could get my money back. Haven’t played the game in a month and don’t plan on playing it until the Legendary drops are improved and there’s more(new) content. 

Message 21 of 34 (187 Views)

★★★ Guide

Yeah and I'm an astronaut.  

To quote Dr. Nick Riviera:. "I didn't graduate from downtown second floor medical school for nothing!"

"Dr. Riviera can you explain all those bodies?"

"Well, it's such a nice day, I think I'll take the window!"

Message 22 of 34 (172 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@Fatebinder wrote:

I'm a EU national and a lawyer and I've become increasingly worried that there is a serious risk of BioWare not being able to fullfil their obligations

I laughed so hard I peed myself!!!!!!!!!. They didn't teach spelling in lawyer school????? Soooooo funny. I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING.please stop

Message 23 of 34 (168 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@MilwaukeeScotty wrote:

@Fatebinder wrote:

I'm a EU national and a lawyer and I've become increasingly worried that there is a serious risk of BioWare not being able to fullfil their obligations

I laughed so hard I peed myself!!!!!!!!!. They didn't teach spelling in lawyer school????? Soooooo funny. I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING.please stop

It's sorta like architects and draughtsperson's. Their taught all this practical knowledge and outside that they have not much else … like the ones who ask for Galvanised Aluminium

Message 24 of 34 (153 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

"What if we hollow out a log and throw 'em over a waterfall! We got their money what are they gonna do?" -Jim Gaffigan

Only time will tell what they will actually follow through with. 

Message 25 of 34 (147 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Charming, someone didnt read the EULA it seems. Granted, most do not read it before accepting it, still, one would expect a bit more effort from someone who claims to be a lawyer and is threatening with a lawsuit to get a refund.

Message 26 of 34 (140 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@000No-Mercy000 wrote:

@SofaJockeyUK wrote:

@Fatebinder wrote:

DISCUSSION

What do you guys think about this? Is anyone else worrying that BioWare wont provide the promised features within the set timetable? Do you also consider this a breach of contract?

From the EA website (roadmap)

"* The below is subject to changes as we are exploring content and listening to our community feedback."

https://www.ea.com/games/anthem/acts

Cute thread, but I expect most if not all of those planned items will roll out in the patch over the coming week, or an explanation about when they will be released.

As for legal expertise, may I suggest devoting it to something important rather than this trivia. Oops

Wow! Way to burn someone who MIGHT actually know something about this sort of thing, but being a EA paid commenter like yourself I wouldn’t expect anything less, speak nothing but positive about a broken game and turn a blind eye to the landslide of flaws it has, your in denial buddy. As a legal academic myself I might just start looking into this with a bit more detail. 

Legal action for what? 60? 70? 80 Euro??

Pretty pointless one would think given the awesome payout

Message 27 of 34 (131 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@RoninJed wrote:
If you really are a lawyer then you must not be good at it. When diablo 3 released it showed on the box a multiplayer arena style feature that was planned to be added to the game eventually. It never happened and there was no false advertising lawsuit brought up about it. No man sky also had people like you claiming the same thing but it got all its promised content added eventually. You cant bring a false advertising lawsuit against Anthem just because they didn't deliver content when they said they would. Who knows maybe they will get all this out before the end of the month anyways.

Who said anything about a lawsuit?

Message 28 of 34 (112 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@Banfilidh wrote:

The OP didn’t say anything about a lawsuit. They said someone might have grounds to get a refund. Ianal, but Europe has much stricter laws on that sort of thing.

Thank you, I was indeed not talking about a lawsuit but rather a potential claim to refund the game.

Although the EU has fairly lax laws regarding law suits they aren't as common as in the states and the indemnity/damages are usually a lot lower (although that varies from country to country). I think the biggest difference compared to the US is that many countries in the EU doesn't award punitive damages, only compensatory damages which might be one explanation why lawsuits aren't as common in the EU (since pursuing a lawsuit often is both costly and time consuming).

@Banfilidh wrote:

One wrinkle, though, is that portion of the roadmap wasn’t available yet at launch, iirc. I could be mistaken, though.

That could be a factor to consider! I want to stress that my legal ruminations are purely hypothetical and speculative. I do not work in the field of consumer rights (I'm in family and immigration law - vastly different area and regulations) so anything I say in regards to the Roadmap is just guesswork on my behalf. I just found the topic interesting and in hindsight I should've written the post in a different manner. Instead of writing it as a statement and I should've made it clearer that my main interest was to start a discussion about failed promises/goals, what a "live-service" game actually should be considered as, and how the gaming/tech industry generally seem to be able to slip through the cracks of consumer protection laws.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post in a level-headed and friendly manner!

Message 29 of 34 (101 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@cake404 wrote:

Not a lawyer, but as far as I remember, one of the terms and conditions you accept when installing the game is that you agree not to take legal action (in particular, no class action), and instead will resolve any disputes through binding arbitration. Granted, I imagine that in some cases that condition may he void and/or unenforceable. Again, I am not a lawyer.

I am also not an EU national. However, for what my opinion is worth, I don’t see how the roadmap, clearly noted to be tentative, constitutes a contractual obligation. I mean, I guess if you purchased the game while the roadmap was already up, based your decision on it, absolutely aren’t willing to wait any further than end of April for that content, and really want your money back, it may be reasonable to expect a refund at this point. But if you’re considering going through the hassle of arbitration or even legal action, it seems counterproductive for the cost of the game by itself.

The roadmap does seem to be pretty optimistic, and I don’t expect anything but the new stronghold and various bugfixes to be in the next patch. Hell, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Cataclysm ends up getting pushed back into some time in the summer. Obviously, I would rather see new content and functionality sooner rather than later. However, at the end of the day, I’d rather see quality content and functionality that works (and fixes to the base game itself) than stuff that’s rushed by the end of the month to meet the unrealistic roadmap, at which point they will never have time to fix it properly in the future, because they have more stuff on the roadmap down the line. And personally, I’d rather see the game fixed and improved than get my money back (even if I could get all my money back, including what I spent on the shards).

Thank you for that thoughtful and well written reply. I think you make a lot of excellent points and I just want to say that I am well aware that my claims have dubious legal footing. They're not as outlandish as some posters seem to indicate however, at least not according to consumer laws in Sweden.

It's also worth reiterating that I'm by no means in the field of consumer rights law but rather work in family and immigration law. I base my claims on what I remember from law school (and a few Google searches to freshen up my memory a bit) but that was quite some time ago now.

Anyway, I'll mark your post as the answer and will ask the moderators to lock this thread down as most of the replies rather seems to be interested in starting a flame war rather than civil discussions. I just wanted to say that I appreciated your post greatly and it was both interesting and illuminating to see this topic from a completely different point of view.

Kind regards and Happy Easter!

Message 30 of 34 (136 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help