Re: Kid-safe games

by Fred_vdp

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Kid-safe games

★★★ Newbie

Hi!

My daughter loves games, whereas I never have.  I prefer her to get the games through a system like this/Steam so that I can keep an eye on what she is doing etc.  She has Theme Hospital, Hexcells.  She also loves things like Minecraft (creative mode), something where she collects dragon eggs, and has had a DS before with different games (eg Nintendogs).  So she's happy with a variety of things.  I've been looking through Origin to find her some more for the laptop - I'm happy to pay a small amount (maybe £10) for a game, but not a lot for something she may not use anyway.  But I can only seem to look through by genre, not via age-group, and then it takes a while to find out the age rating, appropriateness etc.  I don't want anything with excessive violence but am open to different types.  I also don't want something for multiple players online yet.  Does anyone have a good list of games for an 8 year old that I could browse through?  Or if anyone from the website uses the boards, could a 'genre' of kid-appropriate games be considered.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Message 1 of 9 (877 Views)

Accepted Solution

@HPEAG  MySims and Unravel should be safe. Also, Peggle, Peggle Nights, Bejeweled Twist, Bejeweled 3, Dynomite are also okay.

Other than those, i wouldn't recommend. Well at least until she's a wee bit older.

You can check the Unravel trial version and decide if you want it for your daughter.  The trial version allows you to play the first level of the game and it expires after 10 hours of playing.

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

View in thread

Message 2 of 9 (1,082 Views)

All Replies

@HPEAG  MySims and Unravel should be safe. Also, Peggle, Peggle Nights, Bejeweled Twist, Bejeweled 3, Dynomite are also okay.

Other than those, i wouldn't recommend. Well at least until she's a wee bit older.

You can check the Unravel trial version and decide if you want it for your daughter.  The trial version allows you to play the first level of the game and it expires after 10 hours of playing.

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 2 of 9 (1,083 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@HPEAG Thanks for the post, It's actually a common discussion we have here in EA.

There's some great suggestions from Ivrognard. I'll also add in Plants vs Zombies or Plants vs Zombies 2 (if you have a tablet). These are the original defense strategy games, not the more recent online 3rd person shooter games. 

You can also grab SteamWorld Dig for free On The House right now. I haven't played it myself but I've heard good things, and it's rated E for everyone. 

https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/free-games/on-the-house

I've probably missed some, but other than what's been suggested already most of our games have more mature content, a higher pricepoint or an online focus. 

I hope this helps, i'd love to see any suggestions anyone else has for this. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 3 of 9 (837 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi!

Thanks so much for those - I'll check all of those out and I'm sure my daughter will be pleased Standard smile

Message 4 of 9 (832 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks David as well. Really appreciate this and will check out these suggestions.   If ever kid-safe could be a genre/category to search through as well that would be awesome.

thanks again.

Message 5 of 9 (831 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Hero

@HPEAG Steam has a "family friendly" tag: http://store.steampowered.com/tag/browse/#global_5350

Also note that on Origin you can sort by rating. These games are rated 3+. These games are rated 7+.

You can't go wrong with the Lego games by Traveller's Tales. They're fun, have puzzles, and the violence is cartoony.

I think the first Plants vs Zombies is great. It's free on Android and iOS. I'm not a big fan of the second.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 6 of 9 (801 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks Fred. That's really helpful and I'll use those filters from now on to quickly find appropriate games.  some great suggestions Standard smile

Thanks!

Message 7 of 9 (777 Views)

★ Novice

@HPEAG i also love playing games like Minecraft, cod mobile, igi

Message 8 of 9 (487 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @paulnelson, please do not bump older threads such as this.

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 9 of 9 (479 Views)