Re: It's weird when you think about it ...

by JonStriker126

Original Post

It's weird when you think about it ...

★ Expert

So, you buy a game for $50-$70, start playing it and love it. You play it more than any other game, and indeed can't wait to start playing each day.

Then the creators of the game come along, make a whole host of changes to the game that not only makes you stop loving the game, it makes you stop playing the game altogether.

Would you demand your money back?

Yet, we put up with something like this because Apex Legends is free.

I would happily pay $50-$70 for a legacy version of Apex Legends as it was the day before this dumb forced LTM came in. Am I fearful that when this pile of poop LTM is done, some elements will be carried over into normal play.

Respawn have ruined their game before (shield meta) - I hope it's a mistake they don't make again.

Please Respawn, please learn that the MAJORITY of people who play your game either Angel are not in a pre-made squad or (b) are in a squad of randoms who don't play like a squad. This LTM is HORRENDOUS for committed players like me who only solo queue.

The only good thing about this LTM is that it's introduced me to the HALO franchise Standard smile

Message 1 of 3 (277 Views)

★★ Pro
@EdwardDLuffy Apex would be dead a long time ago if there was a price tag on it. Sure you will prevent cheaters, but the player base keeps declining without new players even bother to buy a such dynamic BR.

some people love the changes some people don't, and since the game is free, new players keep coming in and getting what apex has to offer at the time and they see no problem.

Apex has introduced us with some big fun features along with the failures of some of it too. Just like this braindead airdrop. I hope this mode will be gone forever.

And streamers/pros should tweet about it because respawn spoil those guys lol, but there are no big complaints yet from them since all they care about is their tournaments or ranked grinds, not the community.
Message 2 of 3 (252 Views)

@EdwardDLuffy wrote:

So, you buy a game for $50-$70, start playing it and love it. You play it more than any other game, and indeed can't wait to start playing each day.

Then the creators of the game come along, make a whole host of changes to the game that not only makes you stop loving the game, it makes you stop playing the game altogether.

Would you demand your money back?

Yet, we put up with something like this because Apex Legends is free.

I would happily pay $50-$70 for a legacy version of Apex Legends as it was the day before this dumb forced LTM came in. Am I fearful that when this pile of poop LTM is done, some elements will be carried over into normal play.

Respawn have ruined their game before (shield meta) - I hope it's a mistake they don't make again.

Please Respawn, please learn that the MAJORITY of people who play your game either Angel are not in a pre-made squad or (b) are in a squad of randoms who don't play like a squad. This LTM is HORRENDOUS for committed players like me who only solo queue.

The only good thing about this LTM is that it's introduced me to the HALO franchise Standard smile

This is what I would essentially call "The OverWatch Situation", as I've seen this talked about on their forum, many times 

Most people's response to this is something like:

"Well, how many hours did you play before they changed it and you stopped enjoying it? Well, if it was a lot, you probably got your money's worth out of it."

And, now, when people say things like that, on the surface, I guess that makes sense. If you bought a game for $60, put 60 hrs into it, that's a dollar an hour. And some people look at that, and feel they got their money worth.

My issue with that train of thought, is I don't feel things are that simple. Especially, in the age of modern gaming, where everything is monetized out the wazoo and no game ever really stays the same, because it's a "live service".

So, from that view, I can understand why people get upset. They put a lot of time and money into a game and they hate when the game changes in ways they feel are negative or "move away" from the reason they bought and enjoyed the game. Honestly, it can really when Characters are changed in ways that make them almost unrecognizable (Sym in OW, for example), or when they Devs remove/change things that you liked, but no longer do or cant have access to, because of said removal or change. It sucks.

And, on the other side of it, I know some people are like "Well, it's a 'live service' game. You know what you signed up for. Odds are Day 1,000 of a game is going to look much different than Day 1, after countless balance changes, or added characters, or maps, or what have you." And, I suppose that's fair as well, but my issue with this train of thought is most people extend it to "Well, because you signed up for a 'live service' game, you don't have any right to complain". And, that's not okay. People have a right to criticize and praise a game as much or little as they like. But, whether they praise the game or not, doesn't mean they don't like it, at its core. 

Honestly, I mean, that's why we are all here, right? Most of us, anyway. We're here to talk about the good and the bad of this game. And, I've done both myself. I've been happy with certain balance changes, unhappy with others. I've been happy with certain map changes, unhappy with others. And so on. And I'm sure that's the same for a lot of people on here.

Now, I will say that I think S7 has been a particularly hard season to swallow. I know for me, personally, I wasn't a fan of the fact that they removed KC for the season, I don't like the current BP (even after the tweaks), and I do feel there are a lot of issues with current Collection Event going on. And, I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way. But, I do still like things about it. Horizon was cool, Olympus is better than WE (imo), and I've really enjoyed some of the tweaks they made this season (Especially with the Replicator).

All in all, at its core, I do still like this game. I'm disappointed by some of the actions of the community and of the dev team, sometimes, but I still like it. And really, I don't think it's good for someone to only see things from one side, with this game. This game is an all doom gloom, but it's not all sunshine and rainbows either. I feel the reality lies somewhere in-between and we should all try and get along and respect other people's opinions on things. We should all be able to talk about the good and bad of this game, without people being too overly critical or too praise happy.

But, sadly, I don't see that happening. This is the Internet, after all. The land of "my opinion is right and yours is wrong". However, a man can dream, I suppose. And I've always tried to do my best to talk about and see everything from both side. I will admit though, sometimes, that is tough for me. Especially with this season. But I do try. 

Message 3 of 3 (236 Views)