Re: Is this the Plants vs Zombies we remember?

by Iron_Guard8

Original Post

★★★★ Novice

Hey,

Honestly get what your saying with the characters but I firmly believe they have made too many changes not only to characters but too the game.

I went back to GW2 and I did not regret it at all. Yes the graphics arnt as good but gameplay felt more involved. Always in battle as the spawning points are better thought out. The maps themselves are more engaging and challenging. The characters having different abilities made combat more intresting and you have to adapt to whats infront of you. I felt like it was warfare on each map. I really don't get that feeling in the new one I just feel as soon as I go in I die even as a tank straight away. If I stay back I am dead in a matter of shots. The best bit I was having fun and didn't feel like it was a chore to play. Yes the game requires a mega grind but you know what definitely worth it. A game should make it differcult to unlock stuff but also rewarding onlong the way and GW2 definitely does that. I have every character unlocked and most mastered or close to. The game give me direction to set myself targets to reach. I can spend my coins I earn from matches and feel like I anit getting ripped off. 

The neighbourhood game play feels like they have made it so everyone can play and skill doesnt even come into it anymore. 

Always a full game lobby aswell unlike this new one. I played for 5 hours and always had a full lobby. To me this says alot.

I have enjoyed this discussion and I feel we both got our opinions across and covered an awful lot. But for me the game lobbies speak for themselves if GW2 is still full and I am struggling to get full game in neighbourhood that says an awful lot. 

Message 11 of 22 (448 Views)

★★★★ Expert

Yeah we have discussed this an awful lot, but I really enjoyed it as well Standard smile.

The best thing to do now is to keep on playing the games we like (even if they are different) and hope the pvz shooters can make a return in the not so distant future.

Message 12 of 22 (427 Views)

Champion

I enjoyed reading that discussion!

BFN definitely did not live up to its potential, but I still really enjoyed it. Well, I really do now still. The character upgrades, the new characters, the free-roam regions, festivals, most weekly events and much more is what has kept me playing. I have never felt forced to jump onto BFN apart from when I am quickly trying to complete character challenges or buy an item before it expires. Even then though, I found that quite fun. 

I was always and have have always been excited to make guides for the community because of how much the game is to me - I really like it and I can show what I have learnt through them. Still, there are so many players who are much more skilled than me in the game but that does not stop me from enjoying the game. Sometimes, I get frustrated but generally it does not hinder me from actually enjoying the game.

When I knew about the game’s cancellation, or should I say, discontinuation, that really threw me off. I knew the game was not doing that great but many things were planned and I was hoping that those things could fix most of the issues in the game and more players would want to come to BFN, such as the Ice Lettuce, which I was really looking forward to and Ops Phase 3. I was also excited for some more Legendary Upgrades. 

That is why I no longer play almost daily like I used to - however when I get on to play I still really quite enjoy it. There is now less to do and to look forward to but I still play the game and will continue to do so for at least quite a while longer. I do not feel forced to play the game, but if I was to continue playing it daily, I feel like I would not be able to manage.

GW2 gave me many awesome memories, BFN did not give me as many as GW2 ever did but I still always enjoyed and had fun on BFN regardless. I do like that it does not take as long to level up, and there are always those funny and lucky moments I have had throughout my time in this game such as earning that Triple ZPG Vanquish. 

BFN did remove a lot of things that I loved in GW2, however. Such as Boss Hunts (my all-time GW2 favourite thing), Community Challenges, Infinity Time and the Backyard Battleground. Those were a lot of fun and they completely vanished in BFN without any sort of a trace. I got used to that relatively quickly, though.

However again, BFN did upgrade on a lot of aspects, such as the free-roam regions, character upgrades, and not to mention that GW2 did discontinue a lot of these things, such as the Community Challenges and I believe even Boss Hunts (which may be true but hopefully that is not the case). 

BFN seems to be full of microtransactions, but none of the items actually provides a competitive advantage so there is no loss for not buying any of the items. The Legendary Upgrades you purchase from Rux can also be obtained through the festivals, or collect enough Rainbow Stars through weekly challenges, so that is easy. However, GW2 is different. The only way to get the Z7 Imp in GW2 for permanent use is to buy the Deluxe Edition of the game, who is one of the best characters. Torchwood and Hovergoat 3000 became available for purchase, which was quite a weird choice, in my opinion. What about those players who earned them rightfully? Not to mention you can easily pick up Legendary Characters without much effort by simply forking out some money. 

I think that some players did not give the game a chance and just thought that it was not a true GW3 so they just turned their backs on the game. What about the players who loved the upgrade? If there was outcry for another GW but lots of players still played this game, then they definitely could have at least considered making a GW3. 

BFN expanded on a lot of things but it did not reach up to its true potential because of so many issues. I feel like they still should of given the game a bit of a chance, but alas, that is not the case.

If they make another shooter, in my opinion, they should make it quite a lot like BFN but definitely add a lot of GW aspects to the game that worked. The other way around also works.

Message 13 of 22 (414 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@TheSprinter85 Many great points here. I can't add much to it, as you went into great detail already and I covered my opinion here before (just a tiny bit Standard smile). One thing I consider to be especially interesting: Community challenges. I remember Zero making a video about them being worked on in BfN. He had a menu glitch were it showed a community challenges tab. It also said you could wi a costume for All Star (Turn the all star into a pop star with this ...). That was early in BfNs life. So either he faked it to get views, or the devs decided the community was too small after so little time.
Message 14 of 22 (404 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@benn1nat0r Ya mean this video? 

I did watch this video a few months ago when it came out - I was really hoping that we would actually get them added into the game. 

I would not imagine that Zero would have faked this video, but that said, I had heard no other information about the implementation of Community Challenges so you could be correct in that aspect. I think this video was released at about the time you rumoured the cancellation actually happened, so possibly the developers were thinking of adding this, and then shortly after decided to scrap that idea and then cancel the game.

Note: I have absolutely no confirmation on this.

Message 15 of 22 (390 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

I think BfN could have been the best PvZ shooter ever had it been fully developed and supported. As it is, too many aspects of the game feel unfinished or outright broken so GW2 remains my favorite of the series right now. It's not perfect of course, but it has so much to do and even at cap it feels more fun than BfN or GW1.

I sincerely hope we get another shooter and it takes the best aspects of the 3 current games and learns from the mistakes to give us the best PvZ shooter ever.

Message 16 of 22 (346 Views)

★★★★ Expert

@TheSprinter85 Thanks, that is indeed the video I was referring to! It does seem legit, as it happened live on stream. My guess is that they tried to get some of the player base back with the steam release, but that sadly failed and they scrapped the community challenges due to the lack of a community. And then EA pulled the plug. Sad. Can't say much more, really.

@Iron_Guard8 I don't think there is anything left that is outright broken (Maybe DirectX 12 support on PC - there is a (lying) message in-game that states they are still optimizing it. A notice that they cancelled that alongside with the game would have been nice). As I said before, the main difference is the marketing. GW2 also had many technical issues (not as many as BfN, but still). I played it everyday for the last week and only found myself enjoying it once while playing ops. The remaining time it felt like punishment playing it after BfN, to be honest. I do like the replayability factor, as unlocking a character as a reward feels extremely satisfying, but I prefer BfN's approach to replace them with more original characters more (even if that vision was reduced to only include Wizard). I have shared my opinion on this before (a lot), so I will just say that all shooters are good in their own regard and EA failed to provide any sort of marketing this time. There were like 5 EA game changer videos on it and all were extremely low quality. EA should have placed more guidelines. Most of these videos didn't even include the game's title in their title ... .The people making them seemed to either only care about the original pvz or compare it to standard shooters or ignore most of the content.

Message 17 of 22 (332 Views)

★★ Pro
@benn1nat0r I haven't played in a while.. have you noticed any lag/hit-detection issues? I feel like that was the biggest part of the game's core problems.
Message 18 of 22 (329 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@shurikeninja I would say it got a bit better overall. I have been encountering them less, but melee attacks still can have registration problems (TV Head, Wildflower, Chomper, Super Brainz). My final estimation is that they work 90-95% when the game is doing fine, but when it has a bad connection they almost never work, while other attacks still work reasonably well.
Message 19 of 22 (326 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

I've never had DX12 issues with BfN myself. I'm more referring to the aiming still being off, it's far worse in BfN than any other shooter I play and I'm talking about going back to even the original Doom via GZDoom, the random aim jump with snipers, and hit registration being a problem for melee characters more than anyone else (although it does still happen in GW2 too, although not quite as often, the next shooter has to have better netcode to get rid of this problem).

There are minor issues as well, but all 3 games have these to some degree.

Message 20 of 22 (321 Views)