Is there any chance of hold-to-sprint in the near future?

by Mesjach007

Original Post

Is there any chance of hold-to-sprint in the near future?

★★★ Novice

The Apex devs said "it's on the list" back in February.

Most of a year has passed and there's still no word about it.

I cannot stress enough how important this feature is. For some players, including me, it makes the game nearly unplayable (at least at a "decent" level).

I've invested about 100 hours in Apex, mainly right after launch, and while I got used to the sprint to some extent, it always felt terrible for me and was one of the main reasons I stopped playing the game. I've reinstalled Apex yesterday and you can only imagine my disappointment, an alternative sprint option is not, well... an option yet.

If it's something tied to the engine and cannot/will not be added, please say so.

Thanks for your time.

Message 1 of 7 (330 Views)

Re: Is there any chance of hold-to-sprint in the near future?

★★★ Apprentice

I agree with this.

Recently transitioning from PS4 to PC.. I can't get over the lack of hold to sprint. It is game ruining for me, I'm constantly fighting whether sprint is on or off...and forget any tactical advantage of walking to reduce footsteps.

This seems like a simple feature, maybe I'm wrong, but please introduce this feature.

Thanks.

Message 2 of 7 (302 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

It's called "Auto Sprint", Go to setting to make it "ON"

Message 3 of 7 (295 Views)

★★★ Expert

@o-Talzy-o 

The Razer Tartarus, and Razer Orbweaver boast an 8way directional thumbstick you can configure to use for movement or as a modifier for macro's.

This may work for more console like movement on PC, tho that would mean spending money of course. The Tartarus is affordable.

Message 4 of 7 (289 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@o-Talzy-o 

...but you can walk. Just don't press shift and you won't start sprinting.

I don't understand people that would actually rather have to hold shift the entire time they are sprinting.

Message 5 of 7 (283 Views)

★★★ Novice
@asukojo that's the opposite of what I want. I want more control over sprinting, not less.
Message 6 of 7 (271 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@SixthOTDIt's useful for quick burst sprints, more control over sprinting and simplifies overall movement. But mostly, it's just preference.
This may sound silly but tell me this: if you sprint, then jump, aim down sights for a split-sec, fall to the ground - will you continue sprinting or not? Now, what happens if you continue aiming down sights, and release it only after you land? Will you keep sprinting or start walking? Now add slides, wall climbs, ziplines to the equation. <- that's the stuff I have to constantly think about (and in the heat of the fight I get it wrong all the time even after 100 hours).
It works the other way too. Let's say you jumped out of the window, and are falling to the ground. At which point do you press sprint to instantly start running after landing? As soon as you jump out? Right before hitting the ground? Right After?
Now, why does it matter? When you sprint in Apex you put away your gun and it takes a while to pull it back up. In close quarters any "surprise sprint" means if not death, a huge disadvantage.

It's brain wiring, I suppose, but I constantly (and I mean dozens of times per match) find myself sprinting when I don't want to, or not sprinting when I want to. Occasionally resulting in a very frustrating death.
With hold-to-sprint I know, if I'm holding shift, my character will start running as soon as possible and when I let go of shift my character will stop running as soon as possible. <- nice and simple. I can focus on other things.
Most likely you get the Apex movement instinctively, and it feels natural for you, but there are people like me, who find press-to-sprint very disorienting and frustrating. I've really tried to finally "get it" in Apex and some other games I've played over the years but it is just not possible for me.

Message 7 of 7 (266 Views)