Is there a plan in place to fix Caustic?

by Superlunar_Nim

Original Post

Is there a plan in place to fix Caustic?

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I did a bit of searching around the forums and couldn't find anything recent, I'm surprised it's not a more frequent point of discussion.

His gas traps are really too strong currently. They do incredible amounts of HP damage was well as slow and blind. If you get caught in one it's pretty much over unless you get very lucky, no one else's tactical ability has this kind of power.

I suggest getting rid of the slow (acting as an area deterrent/block provides more than enough utility) and reducing the number he can place to 3 at a time. Alternatively the damage needs to be drastically reduced, currently it's like having a whole second player firing at you with 100% accuracy and with a weapon that can bypass shields.

Message 1 of 15 (593 Views)

Re: Is there a plan in place to fix Caustic?

[ Edited ]

@Superlunar_NimCaustic can be really strong in the right situations. The problem is those situations are rare..  But you have to be on a team that wants to play into caustics strengths. I agree he could use a buff in some ways. But on others he can be OP.. if you get caught in his gas you’re in a world of trouble.

when I play caustic, if I can get an enemy team into the gas they are dead. The keyword here is if.. 

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 15 (539 Views)

Champion
@DarthValtrex I agree!

Caustic really has to be in a building for his strength to be utilised and even then it has to be the right building! Out in the open he's an easy target unless he knows how to use his gas as a pseudo-smoke.

Hey there I'm a volunteered Champion! I don't work for EA I just like to help out around the forums, keep the peace and submit ideas to the community.

Did I answer your question? Please leave some tasty XP or even mark as a solution!

Got some QOL ideas for Apex? Add them here: 

Apex Legends QOL Collection

Message 3 of 15 (517 Views)

★★★ Guide

The only problem I have with Caustic is that his gas affects his own team mates as well, slowing them and blinding them as well. It's the reason I don't play him at all and won't buy him either.

Message 4 of 15 (501 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

His gas trapps are sooo huge, its just impossible to run into them.

If the squad wants to hide in a house, ok, let them do so! JUST DO NOT GO INSIDE!

I really would like to see gastraps becoming 10 times smaller.

Ever heard of compressed gas? Like those CO2-gas-cartridges!

I think the damage of those traps isn't too high.

Message 5 of 15 (498 Views)

★★ Pro
@Superlunar_Nim Just avoid the traps, and don't push if they are in a building. Out in the open caustic isn't a problem at all. Just nade spam the building, attack from multiple angles or wait until the caustic has to leave. Then he is a walking fee kill. The traps aren't a problem if you don't go near them and they are really easy to spot outside and easy to predict inside. He isn't OP, its just that people keep dying to his gas because they walk into it. His ult is annoying though, but it is his ult.
Message 6 of 15 (497 Views)

★★ Expert

Came across a Caustic on my last game the other night and after he threw his ult at us, we just went around it and pinched him. 

I do gotta say though, I can't see the gas when using Bloodhounds ult. Had to keep running away until I found where it ended/stopped spreading before I could push again. 

Message 7 of 15 (461 Views)

@Cabowse Yup! The parking garage structures can be a strong point for caustic, especially if you have a Wattson. Fences and gas traps on the top floor.. anyone tries to rush your squad they are doomed.

He can also be good for fights at the loot vaults. I’ve fought back multiple squads on my own in vaults as caustic. I’ve also killed squads who had better shields by trapping them with the gas. His traps also come in handy in the tunnels if you place them right.

They key with caustic is staying far ahead of the ring and other teams. If you don’t you can’t set up camp. You’ll also be in the open..

I’ve only had a handful of instances in which I was able to trap people out in the open. It was at refinery near the bridge, my squad mate got downed by the bridge and I was on top of it. When they were running to finish him off I tossed down his ult just in front of them. They ran right towards it as it went off.. then I tossed 2 traps and jumped down and mowed them down. But that is a rare instance.

Message 8 of 15 (441 Views)

@Taserface-ZA That’s not a huge issue for me. It’s no different than Bangs smoke. You just have to stay back from it and use it to your advantage. If your caustic player is skilled with him, he’ll be aware of this and try to help you avoid it.

I think a solid buff would be throwing down traps a tad quicker and/or the traps being harder to shoot down. Perhaps a bit of refinement on his large hit box.

Message 9 of 15 (439 Views)

★★ Apprentice

You must be joking.

If you get caught in one trap, you will 99% of the time escape the gas with very little damage dealt to you.

If you get caught in multiple gas traps and ult then you might die , depending on how you play and understand what's going on.

Caustic is bottom tier character and further nerfing him would be ridiculous.

Perhaps you should watch your kill/damage feed as see what killed you.

If you are dead from full HP by one gas trap you should improve your game, and that's the whole truth.

Message 10 of 15 (410 Views)