Is ranked worth it?

by shtupurgnamakit

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Is ranked worth it?

★★★★ Apprentice

I was wondering is ranked worth it? I'm not the greatest player ever but I was able to get platinum as a solo in BR and Arenas (which is good for me) last season after putting in some time.

I really wanted to get diamond in either BR or Arenas just once but it seems just too slow and would take more time than the split allows for a player at my skill level. I am at silver II for both at the moment and I'm getting BRUTAL lobbies. Plus I'm old and still recovering from 2 carpal tunnel surgeries (not an excuse, just how it is).

I have my platinum badges which I earned but I was just wondering is it honestly worth it to go for Diamond or ranked in general? I'm a solo player but I want to play Apex to have fun above all else and try other games too. I Would love constructive feedback. Thank you.

Message 1 of 30 (1,644 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Is ranked worth it?

★★★★ Guide

Personal preference really. I usually play ranked when I want a fighting chance of full squad. I play until I get diamond then run pubs until splits. Honestly half the time in plat you get gold teams and it is just a 1 v 3 situation. As far as I look at it I take the challenge of grinding to diamond as my metric. The rewards are meh.

View in thread

Message 3 of 30 (1,607 Views)

All Replies

★★ Pro

@shtupurgnamakit 

I'd say no, unless you are so good at the game that you always happen to kill at least one squad before you die,

I tried for Diamond last season, very late and I couldn't even make it out of gold,

I did play late, but I still managed to level up battle pass to level 110 last season,

I'm not bad either, couple of seasons ago I did manage to get a Plat rank,

but honestly you can give it a shot, if you are lucky you can get better ranked gamees than pubs.

But if it's not fun I'd say don't play it.

Message 2 of 30 (1,628 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Personal preference really. I usually play ranked when I want a fighting chance of full squad. I play until I get diamond then run pubs until splits. Honestly half the time in plat you get gold teams and it is just a 1 v 3 situation. As far as I look at it I take the challenge of grinding to diamond as my metric. The rewards are meh.

Message 3 of 30 (1,608 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@mastiffslinger That's a good way to look at it. It's nice that people don't really quit. I'll try to get Diamond but if not that's ok. I also wish the rewards were better too. Thanks.

@damsonwhufndthis thanks for replying. If I'm not having fun I'll just play pubs. Thanks.
Message 4 of 30 (1,594 Views)

★★★ Expert

I use ranked to get my dailies and weeklies done now.  It's generally good for making sure your team mates don't quit if you care about them.

Depends on what you want.  As a competitive system? No, not even close.  And raising rank offers little in game rewards.

If you do raise ranks, you might find better people to play with about Platinum...sometimes Gold.  You're better off meeting people on these forums and making premade teams though, again if you care about teams.  Ranked is really bad for team play otherwise (Apex is in general)

Message 5 of 30 (1,572 Views)

★★ Guide
@shtupurgnamakit biggest difference for me in game modes:

Public - just for warmups because people not trying and/or quitting instantly when knocks is just unplayable unless you go solo, but then you can just go no-fill from the start, people I guess don't do that often due to longer waiting times

Arenas (ranked and regular) - just pointless mode, basically equivalent of firing range so you can have moving bots (on your team or enemy), not going into that mode ever.

Ranked - only mode that is left basically to play and people can't quit instantly which is good, forces them to at least try somewhat.
Plus as said here - chances are you will find a better player/teammate there if that is your goal as playing with a set squad is so much better than filtering through 100 mil random players where most are just impaired human beings Standard smile

Getting to Platinum solo is ok/good result, Diamond is still doable if you have good aim and know the basics of the game AND can overcome your ego and adjust to randoms in terms of teamwork. Past Diamond you will face a lot of hackers and mainly set squads - very painful experience and I honestly don't think that a person who is Diamond level can push past D3 alone = difference between D4 and D1 in my opinion is just a team factor.
Message 6 of 30 (1,488 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

@EREGDS This is great advice I will apply. I'll try for Diamond. Definitely have no ego, I'm more of a teamwork/support player. Thanks

Message 7 of 30 (1,323 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

@KelRiever OK, thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. 

Message 8 of 30 (1,322 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@shtupurgnamakitanother tip from my side - try other timezone servers that are ok ping wise for you.

I find that EU servers are much more competitive - players seem to be just better overall in all aspects of the game there. Also I tend to assume that EU players are hacking more, at least that's my last few week experience when playing EU and NA servers. Don't know why - EU people spend less money on the accounts and don't care about bans or we just think like that = how to screw the system all the time.

I have heard that Asia servers are even worse hacking-wise but haven't played them yet given I am usually up at evenings/nights and Asia is sleeping for sure. Probably will not try it out anytime soon.

In the meantime NA servers especially East coast are pretty much the same - getting 50-80 ping in EU, NY server sometimes hit even just 100 but not more than 130. And to be honest, I even managed to play West coast servers with 180, wasn't too bad.
Pros - easier rank up e.g. for the past two days I was playing ~8-10h in EU, the total for that time was approx. -150 RP and I even had a team today with 2 ex-Masters who did cost me quite a bit.
Went to NA - 2 games two wins in a row with max KP or close to it = 400+ RP right there. Same day same time just shows the skill difference.

Also a plus - you can play all day in EU and when people in EU lobbies (I play with Discord server players) go down NA provides a whole new player base that are just warming up and starting their day, can easily grind for 10+h if you wish and do not experience player base drop.

To sum up - I train my skill in EU via painful griding and then go NA and get back the RP and rank up. I honestly would be still battling around P3 level at most P2 if I would stick to EU only but NA just delivers to me every time I go there and here I am D4 with 28 days to go in the split (not great but not bad either). Don't get me wrong I am not advertising easy rank up at the same time if I put in work in EU to keep up my skill and then kind of mentally chill out about rank up via gaining points mostly in NA (in current split on the Platinum level I would assume my points were 40% from EU and 60% from NA overall, only NA was easier to gain as I lost there so much less than in EU).

I guess that's kind of ok as long as I stay somewhat competitive in EU.

p.s. I will keep testing Diamond lobbies now and post if I see any difference between EU and NA, I hear EU are just full of hackers and even without them quite crazy, maybe NA will prove to be different Standard smile

Message 9 of 30 (1,173 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

That's very interesting, those servers are unplayable for me sadly, it's like a slideshow. I would be interested in updates on if anything changes. Much appreciated.

Message 10 of 30 (1,065 Views)