Re: Is my name really offensive?

by EA_Darko

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Is my name really offensive?

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I don't often come to forums to complain... but I'm somewhat bummed out here.  Drunknut has been my gaming identity for every BF game since 1942.  It has many memories attached from my clan gaming days and I would very much like to keep it.  But suddenly, after nearly 20 years of use, it has now been declared offensive and I have been sent an email from EA stating I have 7 days to change it or I am banned.  Is there any way to appeal this?

I would really like to know what is so offensive about such an extremely mild alcohol reference.  I see 420 in names all the time and perhaps these people are being threatened with bans also... I do not know.  But come on... how sensitive are we these days?  Considering how many people are offended by the fact that EA created a game based on actual historical events and chose to dramatically revise some key aspects of those events, you would think they could let a mild reference to something that is legal and widely accepted in society to slip by.

Consider this also... It is okay to serve alcohol at a restaurant where children and families are present.  It is okay for people to drink alcohol at sporting events, concerts and other social events such as family reunions and weddings where families and children of all ages are present.  But it is not okay for me to use the gaming identity Drunknut in a game where we are running around and killing each other... a game that is part of a genre of games that offend very many people in our society. 

[Removed by CM]

Message 1 of 13 (6,437 Views)

Accepted Solution
Highlighted

Community Manager

Hey @drunknut we are unable to assist with any TOS related issues, as such you will need to speak to our Terms of Service team

The process to contact our ToS team can be found here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/account/information-about-banned-or-suspended-accounts/

1. Click Contact usat the top of any page on EA Help.
  2. Select the game that your account was banned or suspended from. If it’s on your whole EA Account, choose Origin.
  3. Choose your platform.
  4. Select Manage my account, then Banned or suspended account.
  5. Fill out any other details below.
    • For example, if you picked Origin, it might ask you if you are accessing the game through an Origin Access membership.
  6. Click Select contact option.
  7. Sign in to your account that has the ban or suspension, if you aren’t already.

Darko

Darko.png

View in thread

Message 3 of 13 (6,364 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Guide

This is a player helping player forums, maybe you can contact EA Adviser:

https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/

Just curious about the name though, is it actually a name of an alcohol beverage ? ... personally I don't consume any alcohol but we do get to know some names from video games, movies and TV series like "V", "W" even John Wick 2 "B"

* I hope we are not breaking some rules talking about this.

Message 2 of 13 (6,402 Views)
Highlighted

Community Manager

Hey @drunknut we are unable to assist with any TOS related issues, as such you will need to speak to our Terms of Service team

The process to contact our ToS team can be found here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/account/information-about-banned-or-suspended-accounts/

2. Select the game that your account was banned or suspended from. If it’s on your whole EA Account, choose Origin.
  3. Choose your platform.
    • For example, if you picked Origin, it might ask you if you are accessing the game through an Origin Access membership.
  7. Sign in to your account that has the ban or suspension, if you aren’t already.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 3 of 13 (6,365 Views)

Received This Email - Confused

★ Novice

Hi,

I woke up this morning to find I had received this email. Since I am not active in any sort of online forum that has to do with Origins Games since Mass Effect Andromeda, and my avatar and username has been the same since 2013, I'm confused. 

emailsupportEA.png

Is this real?

Thank you.

Message 4 of 13 (6,305 Views)

Re: Received This Email - Confused

Community Manager

Hey @necromancery1 if you have received that email then the best thing to do is go ahead and change your username/avatar image as it is most likely the case that one of them has breached out TOS rules.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 5 of 13 (6,274 Views)

★ Novice

Hi, thanks for the reply,

I changed my Avatar but I'm not changing my username. It's been my username for 7 years there's no way it suddenly violates some term of service.

It's necromancer with a y. And a 1. They have a player class that is literally my username. 

Message 6 of 13 (6,263 Views)

Community Manager

It's up to you if you wish to change it or not @necromancery1.

If you have any questions as to the email then you can speak to our Terms of Service team.

3. Choose your platform.
  7. Sign in to your account that has the ban or suspension, if you aren’t already

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 7 of 13 (6,234 Views)

★★★ Novice

Can somebody explain to me what the problem with "DAG0" is in english language that it's rejected by EA-Games or Forza Horizon?

Message 8 of 13 (4,013 Views)

★★★ Guide
@DerDAG0 This may help to explain...."used as an insulting and contemptuous term for a person of Italian or Spanish birth or descent."
Message 9 of 13 (3,939 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

No, that word is spelled with an E not an A.  Dego is the offensive word you are referring to. This is the world we live in now. People are looking to be offended by anything, even if they have to make-up and offense. Frown

Message 10 of 13 (3,869 Views)