Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Is it false advertisement?

by SofaJockeyUK

Original Post

★★ Guide

While I don't think it is a false advertisement, I can say this. BioWare/EA has stated and show that there would be the items that were on the road map in act one, a act two and an act three, a story driven DLC, along with saying that this would be a game supported for many years in some cases I heard rumor of 10 years. This all being documented through documented, and videotaped and or live streamed video. Now by law because they said that all this WOULD be coming to Anthem they are required to do so, and each item must be as they have stated it would be. They do not have a choice in this matter. Anything they have not announced like what would be in the story driven DLC, what would be in act 2 and 3, etc. they could realistically could do as much or as little for them as they desired, as long as it is released.

Truth be told I believe there is some contract between 2 or more companies for a two year contract on this game. If that is indeed the case then we will see it go at least that long before we were to see BioWare and/or EA try to wiggle out of Anthem assuming that everything they said was coming is released by that time. But rest assure there is still quite some time that Anthem is going to keep going. If not then legal action will be taken and the responsible parties will be held accordingly.

Message 11 of 22 (292 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Technically, no.  I've seen nothing that would pass muster in a court of law with regards to a claim of false advertising.

I would believe, however, that there was a fair amount of incompetence involved, and at multiple levels in both BioWare and EA offices. Quite a bit over hype and hubris, over promising and under delivering, missteps, mistakes, and over reacting to problems that could have been solved in better ways.

A lot of this rests squarely on the shoulders of the suits and bean counters at EA and in BioWare's upper management. The evidence of that can be found in the interview that was posted not long ago, so I won't delve back into that swamp.

I do think, however, that the Dev team is trying to make it all work, despite the bad PR, the vitriol and poo flinging on the forums and elsewhere, and a generally hostile environment which includes those suits I mentioned as they maneuver to CYA and insulate themselves from the fallout.

I'm also not a fan of the lack of communication, or the disjointed attempts at passing on information on multiple platforms that don't involve their own forums. Whomever is in charge of their community teams really sucks at the job IMO, and needs to refine their process so that information is centrally located and easy to find. If they want to use Twitter, Reddit, FB, morse code, semaphore, smoke signals and whatever the hell else to communicate, I say go for it. But only as long as all of those are being used to redirect people to a central location where all of the information can be found. Using numerous media to communicate, and having no cohesive structure or plans in their use doesn't do anything useful for anyone.

Anyway..  TLDR: No, it's not false advertising, but it's certainly a trainwreck.

Message 12 of 22 (694 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

@RogueMaster wrote:

***SNIP***

A lot of this rests squarely on the shoulders of the suits and bean counters at EA and in BioWare's upper management. The evidence of that can be found in the interview that was posted not long ago, so I won't delve back into that swamp.

***SNIP***

IMHO anytime you allow accountants  or any other personality in that order (ie Suits) to be the basis of any business decision you just shoved a red hot poker up your rear end. Most have ZERO imagination and do not work well with anyone that does.

Don't get me wrong they have a purpose but anytime you allow them to have control things go to hell in a hand basket.

Message 13 of 22 (260 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
Spoiler

It’s one thing to make a game look better to entice players, but it’s entirely different to advertise a product that didn’t exist. The E3 trailer shown off in 2017 was a complete and utter lie. It was a fake build of the game meant to show off and nothing more. How they got away with this legally is beyond me. Not only do I think this was false advertising, I think it’s worse. At least with other colossal disappointments the developers/publishers had a product. But in this case they did not. The incompetency was even worse when BioWare staff finally realized what kind of game anthem would be AFTER their own trailer came out and then wondered if they were even capable of developing what they had shown.  

Message 14 of 22 (234 Views)
Highlighted

@Silversurferguy wrote:
Spoiler

... The E3 trailer shown off in 2017 was a complete and utter lie. It was a fake build of the game meant to show off and nothing more. How they got away with this legally is beyond me. ...

This continues to make no sense to me.

The E3 2017 trailer was captured in-game, even if the game world was far from complete.

It can't be 'fake', it wasn't a cutscene.

It was showing the game as it existed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't work for EA, but I adore BioWare's Mass Effect, Dragon Age & Anthem.
I can be found here on EA Answers HQ and on BSN forums: http://bsn.boards.net
Message 15 of 22 (215 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@SofaJockeyUK wrote:

@Silversurferguy wrote:
Spoiler

... The E3 trailer shown off in 2017 was a complete and utter lie. It was a fake build of the game meant to show off and nothing more. How they got away with this legally is beyond me. ...

This continues to make no sense to me.

The E3 2017 trailer was captured in-game, even if the game world was far from complete.

It can't be 'fake', it wasn't a cutscene.

It was showing the game as it existed.

The game didn’t exist. Period. What was shown at E3 wasn’t the real game. It was a lie and it’s and it’s an all to common practice in the gaming industry. Aliens Colonial Marines and No Man’s Sky are infamous examples of this malpractice. But what separates Anthem from those two examples is that BioWare did not have a product made when they made the E3 build. Read the Kotaku article. Go on youtube, google it, whatever. 

Message 16 of 22 (185 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Silversurferguy wrote:

The game didn’t exist. Period. What was shown at E3 wasn’t the real game. It was a lie and it’s and it’s an all to common practice in the gaming industry. Aliens Colonial Marines and No Man’s Sky are infamous examples of this malpractice. But what separates Anthem from those two examples is that BioWare did not have a product made when they made the E3 build. Read the Kotaku article. Go on youtube, google it, whatever. 

This argument is nonsense. You can see the game being played in that trailer. The Ranger 'ult' is the same, gameplay the same. World locations around Tarsis Falls are familiar.

There was a Digital Foundry review at the time discussing the footage as 'legit'.

I can believe that the completed game world was limited to the areas shown in the trailer, but that's in-game content, not some generated cutscene.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 17 of 22 (164 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Our world is full of false advertising.

Why should this be different?

In our culture it is allowed to promise everything you want to a customer. Then make a disclaimer in what you say that you did not promise anything and that you may or may not deliver something.

Problem is that people, me included, are buying this.

I don't feel that I have a choice. But I am old. Maybe it is cause I can remember a time when the customer was king.

Message 18 of 22 (153 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@SofaJockeyUK wrote:

@Silversurferguy wrote:

This argument is nonsense. You can see the game being played in that trailer. The Ranger 'ult' is the same, gameplay the same. World locations around Tarsis Falls are familiar.

There was a Digital Foundry review at the time discussing the footage as 'legit'.

I can believe that the completed game world was limited to the areas shown in the trailer, but that's in-game content, not some generated cutscene.

Your ignorance and willingness to defend BioWare and EA is nonsense and even concerning. Explain to me then why we didn’t get what was promised to us. Explain why anthem failed even when the developers had all the time in the world to get it right. Why did it come out so broken? Seriously, read the article. Don’t believe anything you see at E3 as it’s all fake for the most part. Even the Clintons would’ve blushed from the amount of deceit. Anyway I can’t argue with a blind fanboy as we’ll likely go in circles. I’m done 

Message 19 of 22 (138 Views)

@Silversurferguy wrote:

I’m done ...

That's fine and understandable, I find these conspiracy theories crumble under rational discussion in any case. Oops

Message 20 of 22 (124 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help