Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Is it false advertisement?

by DanteYoda

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Is it false advertisement?

★★★★ Novice

First of all, I want to say I was instructed to post this here by EA help. 

Secondly, what constitutes false advertisement?

False advertising is the use of false,misleading, or unproven information to advertise products to consumers.

Isnt this what happened with anthem? It all started with the first "gameplay" at e3, this was overzealous in its attempt, it looks nothing like the game does now since it's been released. The roadmap? Everything the dev's were saying before launch that made people buy into the preorders, it has all been thrown away. The main devs moved onto the new dragon age game and there is little to no communication from the devs about the plans for the future aside from the occasional "wait and see". I feel cheated by this game. I work hard for my money and now I wish I had never bought this game that over sold and under delivered. I need a resolution. And I need an answer.

Message 1 of 22 (681 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★★★ Apprentice

Technically, no.  I've seen nothing that would pass muster in a court of law with regards to a claim of false advertising.

I would believe, however, that there was a fair amount of incompetence involved, and at multiple levels in both BioWare and EA offices. Quite a bit over hype and hubris, over promising and under delivering, missteps, mistakes, and over reacting to problems that could have been solved in better ways.

A lot of this rests squarely on the shoulders of the suits and bean counters at EA and in BioWare's upper management. The evidence of that can be found in the interview that was posted not long ago, so I won't delve back into that swamp.

I do think, however, that the Dev team is trying to make it all work, despite the bad PR, the vitriol and poo flinging on the forums and elsewhere, and a generally hostile environment which includes those suits I mentioned as they maneuver to CYA and insulate themselves from the fallout.

I'm also not a fan of the lack of communication, or the disjointed attempts at passing on information on multiple platforms that don't involve their own forums. Whomever is in charge of their community teams really sucks at the job IMO, and needs to refine their process so that information is centrally located and easy to find. If they want to use Twitter, Reddit, FB, morse code, semaphore, smoke signals and whatever the hell else to communicate, I say go for it. But only as long as all of those are being used to redirect people to a central location where all of the information can be found. Using numerous media to communicate, and having no cohesive structure or plans in their use doesn't do anything useful for anyone.

Anyway..  TLDR: No, it's not false advertising, but it's certainly a trainwreck.

View in thread

Message 12 of 22 (692 Views)

All Replies

★★ Apprentice

I won`t be suprised if there`s another misleading gameplay about DA4 at e3 this year or maybe next year, since BW chosed to move the main devs of an unfinished game.Large smile

Message 2 of 22 (653 Views)

★ Guide

Can't speak to the E3 video, this occurs through out the gaming industry and seems to be protected by 'early demo' clauses.

As for content and connection please see the below from EA TOS, remember, this game is listed as a game service, not a 'full release' meaning that they can and will change as needed: content, availability, and planned release of new content. It's always a crap shoot with game services compared to full release games.

4. Availability of EA Services and Updates

We do not guarantee that any EA Service, Content or Entitlement will be available at all times, in all locations, or at any given time or that we will continue to offer a particular EA Service, Content or Entitlements for any particular length of time. EA does not guarantee that EA Services can be accessed on all devices, by means of a specific Internet or connection provider, or in all geographic locations.

From time to time, EA may update, change or modify an EA Service, Content or Entitlements, without notice to you. These updates and modifications may be required in order to continue to use EA Services.

EA may need to update, or reset certain parameters to balance game play and usage of EA Services. These updates or "resets" may cause you setbacks within the relevant game world and may affect characters, games, groups or other Entitlements under your control.

Message 3 of 22 (645 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@gortessoth wrote:

Can't speak to the E3 video, this occurs through out the gaming industry and seems to be protected by 'early demo' clauses.

As for content and connection please see the below from EA TOS, remember, this game is listed as a game service, not a 'full release' meaning that they can and will change as needed: content, availability, and planned release of new content. It's always a crap shoot with game services compared to full release games.

4. Availability of EA Services and Updates

We do not guarantee that any EA Service, Content or Entitlement will be available at all times, in all locations, or at any given time or that we will continue to offer a particular EA Service, Content or Entitlements for any particular length of time. EA does not guarantee that EA Services can be accessed on all devices, by means of a specific Internet or connection provider, or in all geographic locations.

From time to time, EA may update, change or modify an EA Service, Content or Entitlements, without notice to you. These updates and modifications may be required in order to continue to use EA Services.

EA may need to update, or reset certain parameters to balance game play and usage of EA Services. These updates or "resets" may cause you setbacks within the relevant game world and may affect characters, games, groups or other Entitlements under your control.

Wow!!!

That means players bought an unguaranteed earlier service access for $85! 

Luckly I just got my refund! lol

Message 4 of 22 (633 Views)

It's a view, OP, but I think the trailers have been a reasonable representation of the game.

The roadmap is still coming and comments from EA/BioWare over the last day (and some weeks) seem to indicate full support for ongoing content over time.

So, 'no' would be my assessment. Oops

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't work for EA, but I adore BioWare's Mass Effect, Dragon Age & Anthem.
I can be found here on EA Answers HQ and on BSN forums: http://bsn.boards.net
Message 5 of 22 (632 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I wish I could get a refund

Message 6 of 22 (617 Views)

★ Guide

@Tossboyfish91 wrote:

Wow!!!

That means players bought an unguaranteed earlier service access for $85! 

Luckly I just got my refund! lol

You will always see that type of wording (truthfully for good reason) on all service type games as they must be able to change, alter, remove things to keep play balance and the like in needed fashion. Where they offering pay DLC offering something then removed/changed/altered major thing after the fact then refunds are (in a timely manor) legally justified. 

Using Starwars Galaxies for example. They offered a pay DLC for the game that included a ring for a class, the Beastmaster. They took tons orders for this raking in 10's of thousands for this content, two week after offering this and taking peoples cash they announced a massive change to the entire game including the REMOVALE of the Beastmaster class. They then refused to refund when the community began screaming. Many like myself only purchased the DLC based on the new content advertised for the Beastmaster, including a good number of lawyers that played the game. Standard smile  As you may guess, we got our money back. This type of example doesn't fit the situation with Anthem.

Message 7 of 22 (610 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
Exactly well put. I tried to ignore the negative reviews but I feel exactly this post stated. Absolutely cheated. Now that you took cache, there is absolutely no reason to play this game. Your fail attempts are your fault. My fault is believing in false reports, videos, and articles that made me believe that this game was worth my money. How do I get my money back for this unfinished product. Damn shame.
Message 8 of 22 (600 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@Tossboyfish91 wrote:

I won`t be suprised if there`s another misleading gameplay about DA4 at e3 this year or maybe next year, since BW chosed to move the main devs of an unfinished game.Large smile

Wont matter i'm done buying bioware.. Forever!

@shadowdweler wrote:

I think a massive percentage wishes that...

Message 9 of 22 (531 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@DanteYoda wrote:

@Tossboyfish91 wrote:

Wont matter i'm done buying bioware.. Forever!

@shadowdweler wrote:

I think a massive percentage wishes that...

at least 70% I guess lol 

Message 10 of 22 (504 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help