Re: Is it considered cheating if I edit cfg file to enable surround sound?

by warslag

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Is it considered cheating if I edit cfg file to enable surround sound?

★★★ Novice

I know there's not a menu option for it, and that it'll give me a very large advantage over people using only the standard stereo setting, but it seems like something I should be able to control.

I've seen people say that editing the cfg file is considered cheating, so I don't want to get banned. But the stereo setting makes it near impossible to detect distance or orientation of gunfire.

Any advice?

Sincerely,

Don't Want To Get Banned

Message 1 of 8 (1,935 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★ Novice

After giving the issue some more consideration, I've decided on a course of action.

I'm honestly ashamed that I even considered editing the configuration. It seemed like it wouldn't be a big deal to turn a 2 into an 8. Contemplating it, it could have only have been a matter of days before I was decompiling binaries and injecting packets in an effort to give myself an unfair advantage. I'm reminded of those true stories they told us in school about people who just tried one * of mary jane and weeks later were subjecting themselves to abominations just for a taste of black tar.

I realized that since it can't be selected in the in-game menu's it's probably a design decision. It definitely makes me more reliant on all the fine players I'm placed in a squad with. This is a team based game after all. If it wasn't a design decision I'm sure Respawn will patch the game quickly to allow us to modify the setting in-game.

Thanks for the input, stay ethical legends!

View in thread

Message 6 of 8 (1,884 Views)

All Replies

Champion (Retired)

I believe Apex will use your Windows audio configuration. So if you're using 5.1 or 7.1 in Windows then that's what Apex will use. If you going into the audio tab in Apex settings it should tell you at the bottom of the screen what it's using.

Message 2 of 8 (1,922 Views)

★★★ Novice

Unfortunately, this is not the case for me. Stuck on stereo despite Windows set to 7.1.

Message 3 of 8 (1,918 Views)
Highlighted

Champion (Retired)

If you delete the config file I think the game will just recreate it. I don't think you'll be banned. Let us know if it solved your problem.

Message 4 of 8 (1,908 Views)

★★★ Novice

In the muzzle flare thread the ToS area quoted would seem to prohibit deleting (modifying) the game file without authorization. I really wouldn't want to be considered a cheater by the community and/or get banned. Trying to figure out how to ethically go about this.

Message 5 of 8 (1,898 Views)

★★★ Novice

After giving the issue some more consideration, I've decided on a course of action.

I'm honestly ashamed that I even considered editing the configuration. It seemed like it wouldn't be a big deal to turn a 2 into an 8. Contemplating it, it could have only have been a matter of days before I was decompiling binaries and injecting packets in an effort to give myself an unfair advantage. I'm reminded of those true stories they told us in school about people who just tried one * of mary jane and weeks later were subjecting themselves to abominations just for a taste of black tar.

I realized that since it can't be selected in the in-game menu's it's probably a design decision. It definitely makes me more reliant on all the fine players I'm placed in a squad with. This is a team based game after all. If it wasn't a design decision I'm sure Respawn will patch the game quickly to allow us to modify the setting in-game.

Thanks for the input, stay ethical legends!

Message 6 of 8 (1,885 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

@resymbol I would try to use an audio software for your motherboard or headphones that can help. Most have some nice audio presets

My realtek hd audio manager has surround enhancement and a nice gaming audio preset that helps. The movie one is even better, imo.. if you decide to check it out.

That isn't against TOS and it's definitely surround sound, good for either headphones/speakers. I mean... walking footsteps are still too quiet, just gotta train that 6th sense. Large smile

And good on you for deciding to not edit your files! :eahigh_file:

Message 7 of 8 (1,870 Views)

★★★ Novice

@7cyanideI have Dolby Atmos, it just doesn't actually work if the game is only sending stereo.

The more I think about it it's probably a design decision to encourage teamwork!

Message 8 of 8 (1,866 Views)