Is groupplay more "fun" in ranked mode for newcomers?

by NeeRiri

Original Post

Is groupplay more "fun" in ranked mode for newcomers?

★★ Novice

Hiya!

Been having quite some fun with the game the first two days, looking around the maps and finding little things.
Got to play the game with some of my friends as well, which was quite a blast.

None of us are particularly good at shooters, we won some and we lost most matches, which is okay.

The fun ended pretty immediately after a few matches, when we were dropped into matches full with ..pros? pros compared to us atleast.

Figured we should atleast play several matches, see if we can get any better - but every match so far has ended quickly, a team wipe in several seconds.

Either we hide and not learn anything, or die in 3 seconds and still not learn anything since it all happened in a flash.

So far we haven't been able to win a gunfight against another team we came across.

Now, to the question;

If I want to play with my friends, take our time and learn the game and fight idiots just like us, is ranked a better option?

I'm not sure how ranked play works in Apex - and we all "kind of" want to play but we don't want to be dunked on every single match in our very first fight.
Maybe it's just not the game for us, that's possible. I don't see many newcomers staying with the game tho if this is how we're treated.

Message 1 of 7 (410 Views)

Re: Is groupplay more "fun" in ranked mode for newcomers?

★★★★ Pro
@NeeRiri Ranked can be hit or miss because of smurf accounts, so you're less likely to be met by a full predator team, but might get stomped on by a smurf with two serfs jogging along... So you might find it as unbalanced as Trios sometimes feel, but you're less likely to be steamrolled by redtrails...
Message 2 of 7 (404 Views)

★★ Novice
@EryxApex Hi, and thank you for replying!
Can't do much about smurfs sadly, don't mind dying to them either.
Like you said, aslong as we don't get steamrolled it should be more fun outside of the occassional smurf.
Message 3 of 7 (395 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@NeeRiri According to some other forum members who play pubs with a pre-made team, you are more likely to be put into harder lobbies. Ranked would be better as it has a much slower pace which would foster your looting skills, rotation, and map-knowledge. And keep in mind that Platinum tier is where fun ends, and frustration begins xD
Message 4 of 7 (355 Views)

@NeeRiri The other issue with ranked, I did not grind it at all the last 2 seasons so I'm bronze at the moment. I'm pushing up through it again. So you're going to have to deal with people like me.

Now if you're friends with me and we play rounds. Then yeah ranked is probably better. When I'm in PUBS I'm in lobbies with multiple diamond trails and a few predator trails. Those lobbies will be difficult.. But if you're playing with someone else who's new then PUBS will probably be similar to Ranked.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 5 of 7 (349 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@NeeRiri If you’re doing ranked and not want to go against sweaty ppl, just don’t shoot. Go around exploring the map. If a team shoots at you just run away. Since you’re a 3-stack its not as if you’re hampering the chances of the last guy... This was you stay in bronze so least likely to get stomped on every. single. time while getting to know the map, game and guns in ‘real setting’
Message 6 of 7 (335 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@NeeRiri I personally find ranked much more rewarding and i haven no restrictions in regards to the skill level or play style of people i play with.

I've been consistently hitting master or predator every season and the only thing i will suggest to anyone lower ranked than me is that they might not enjoy how difficult or sweaty the lobbies are.

But i will play with anyone and enjoy meeting and helping new players in either ranked or public games. And im sure other players do as well even if its just a few of them.

Making posts like this is a good start to getting better, collect information and opinions and even asking for help from better experienced players can make all the difference. I hope the best for you and hopefully you have better games or at least feel like you walked away from a game like you got something out of it.

Message 7 of 7 (311 Views)