Is Showdown Matchmaking Really Fixed?

by ThatGuy049

Original Post

Is Showdown Matchmaking Really Fixed?

★★ Apprentice

Hey All, I know this isn't a new topic but it feels like nothing has changed. If anything it's gotten worse. I have a 104ovr lineup and I was matched up against a 106ovr lineup 4 consecutive times and then a 108ovr lineup. Lost all 5. Kind of takes all the fun out of playing. Maybe true H2H matchups in realtime is the way to go. Take a page out of 2K Mobile's book. At least then, a user's skill will actually mean something. As it stands now, team ovr is the main factor that influences the outcome of a match. It almost appears to be predetermined. 

Rebounds, blocks and steals were almost non-existent. Hitting a wide open shot was nearly impossible and even dunks were hard to come by. I think I bricked 10 of 20 dunks give or take. Seems a bit unrealistic. 

It would be nice if someone could actually explain the algorithm that's being used to determine matchups. The new showdown matchmaking breakdown that was issued by EA/Mods sounds great and all but it doesn't translate. H2H from season 1 was by far the best system to date. At least you had a choice of opponents as opposed to being automatically matched.

Sincerely,

Frustrated 

Message 1 of 5 (542 Views)

Re: Is Showdown Matchmaking Really Fixed?

Community Manager

@ThatGuy049 

The matchmaking system will try to match you up with another team of equal skill level. If there aren't any suitable opponents the matchmaking criteria will expand so it's possible you could be matched up with teams slightly higher than you. It sounds like you experienced a rough run of luck there and if there's any feedback you have on what you would envision another way to matchmake we're always here to discuss.

Blueberry.png
Message 2 of 5 (505 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@EA_Blueberry 

Yeah I hear that man. Don't get me wrong I'm not opposed to a challenge. I think that my lineup should perform more or less the same whether I'm facing a lower rated opponent or a higher rated opponent. I do understand the premise behind the team ovr structure and  although it's a very simple way to achieve different levels of difficulty, it essentially voids a card's attributes/stats. I don't expect to hit every shot, grab every rebound or block every shot that an opponent takes but, I do expect my lineup to be consistent. In a perfect world, performance should be based primarily on stats and not a team's overall rating. 

In regards to Showdown, instead of fans, an achievement based tier system would be interesting. More tiers for a more accurate matchmaking algorithm. For example, achievements for points accumulated, defensive performances, offensive chemistry etc. Some real time, in game "special" meters would be cool too. For example, a dunk meter. Once full, a player specific signature dunk becomes available. Seeing Shaq shatter the backboard would an awesome animation. Or a shot meter. Watching Harden shake a defender with his famous side step in slow motion. Or an ankle breaker meter. Alllen Iverson putting a defender on skates in slow motion. There are so many more things I can suggest that I feel would enhance the gameplay experience but you get the idea.

Message 3 of 5 (487 Views)

Community Manager

@ThatGuy049 

That's great feedback! I wouldn't mind a little throwback NBA Jam backboard shattering myself when players "heat up."

Blueberry.png
Message 4 of 5 (473 Views)

★★ Guide

The Showdown Matchmaking NEVER EVER matches us vs a weaker opponent. That's blatantly UNFAIR because when we were weak we had to play vs MUCH MORE powerful opponents. Now that we've grown up, instead of getting (at last) those weak ones, we are still getting even harder ones. I've come to believe that this system only makes things worse, helping the powerful to get even more power by keeping the rest of us at low levels

Message 5 of 5 (423 Views)