Is Anyone Else Concerned About The New S7 BP System?

by JonStriker126

Original Post

Re: Is Anyone Else Concerned About The New S7 BP System?

★★★★★ Expert
@JonStriker126 The vehicles don’t worry me necessarily, just the catering to the general masses. It’s the way games work. The general masses are the majority in all games. They are the driving force behind sales.

Just look at LawBreakers. A game that was def not for the general masses and due to multiple factors did that game never took off but was liked by the audience it was for (hardcore gamers).

If games cater to the non-generals, games tend to die out or get hated on by those that usually don’t even stay from begin to end.

But it’s exactly like you say, they should experiment but it’s usually not what the die-harders want.
Message 11 of 43 (389 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Expert

@JonStriker126 if you've been playing, or been on the boards, or been around on the Reddit long enough, being wary of any changes proposed by Respawn is pretty much fair game. If it's not clunky or obtuse in implementation, buggy or poorly tested in practice, or just made to keep people playing for longer, it isn't Respawn. 

Reserving judgement until it comes out is good practice though. I personally don't have high hopes upon reading this. Respawn has a great track-record for putting bandaids on critical issues, including player retention, instead of actually fixing said issues. So changing the way the BP functions to obtuse and clunky objectives to level up instead of gradual EXP gain is a sure-fire way for them to say that their player retention rate is high. But as you say, I will be reserving true judgement until it comes out.

Message 12 of 43 (387 Views)

★ Expert
@BaldWraithSimp if it is a "star system" then it may be like what Avengers does with their Challenge Cards. Challenge Cards in Avengers operate like a Battle Pass with two major differences:
1) There's a separate challenge card for each character
2) There is no time limit. No Season locked content. So you can complete it whenever you want.

Each Challenge card has 200 points worth of content broken up into 5 point increments. Every 5 points you are getting something (emotes, costumes, crafting resources, currency, etc.). You can only earn points by challenges:
- 2 weekly challenge for 11 points each
- 2 daily challenges for 3 points each

Each hero has a separate set of challenges for their own cards. The challenges are pretty routine stuff you'd typically do in game anyway. You can progress on the card without even realizing it.

If Apex is looking at this, I think it would be fine. But again, Avengers doesn't put a season time limit on theirs. That might be a big factor here.
Message 13 of 43 (362 Views)

★★ Pro

Challenges through S4 to S6 went up in time and difficulty, if crossplay is still forced its not worth playing combined with there famous start of season lag, imo the only good thing is the new map clubs just gonna create toxicity and cheats

Message 14 of 43 (339 Views)

Champion

Can't see it being an issue. An active player can complete the current BP in a few weeks. Worst case scenario is that the new system will just drag that out a bit.

The BP will still be achievable within a season still....unless you're as heavy a casual as I am now. XD

500 games played this season and 83 BP. XD

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 15 of 43 (324 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@MandatoryIDtag The new system will make it easier to get the BP done.
Message 16 of 43 (321 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@JonStriker126"You see, as it stands right now, you can complete a Battle Pass by just playing the game."  the current bpass takes a LOT of time to complete, you DO need to complete weekly challenges and hit the 54x xp at least a few times within the 3 months of the bpass (which i never do)

"Imagine in S7 the only way to get BP levels in game is to play legends you don't like, use weapons you don't care for, and/or have to complete really grindy tasks (such as "10K damage with X weapon", as we've seen before)." already the case

"at least every time I finish a game, I feel like I'm working toward my BP" you don't even get 10k xp with a win+several kills lol, hell i don't even know why it's written 300%xp max when the bp doesn't give you anything close to +300%

Message 17 of 43 (299 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@JonStriker126 The star system is confirmed, here is example of it:  

starSystem.PNG

10 stars = 1 level.  1 star equavalent with 3,000 BP points, that is 30,000 points, it's huge jump. They took average of 9,000 - 54,000.

Currently our point system is increasing every time, then reset. But it's getting harder to level up once you reach 54,000 points, it's painfull.

Especially when you can play consistently every week and trying to catch up on the last few weeks, you can't max out.

This system works well when you can consistenly play every day and every weeks.

If they took average consistently, I can see the grind feel more painfull.

Message 18 of 43 (277 Views)

@NaRnIaaa wrote:

@JonStriker126"You see, as it stands right now, you can complete a Battle Pass by just playing the game."  the current bpass takes a LOT of time to complete, you DO need to complete weekly challenges and hit the 54x xp at least a few times within the 3 months of the bpass (which i never do)

"Imagine in S7 the only way to get BP levels in game is to play legends you don't like, use weapons you don't care for, and/or have to complete really grindy tasks (such as "10K damage with X weapon", as we've seen before)." already the case

"at least every time I finish a game, I feel like I'm working toward my BP" you don't even get 10k xp with a win+several kills lol, hell i don't even know why it's written 300%xp max when the bp doesn't give you anything close to +300%

What I meant here was those kind of tasks being more plentiful and challenges being the only way to leave up your task could be problematic.

As it stands right now, you can skip tasks like that and you can still level up your pass, because there is an XP system in place. But, without that, if you get too many hard, dissatisfying, or grindy tasks as the only way to level up your pass, that could create a lot of frustration and discouragement for a player.

I doubt anyone wants challenges that require a lot of grind or require the use of legends or weapons they don't care for (For whatever reason), as the only way to level up their pass. It could be a problem, if that was you occur.

Now, yes, the system might be fine. There might be enough "play x amount of games" (and easier, more satisfying) tasks that people will feel encouraged to play and not be frustrated, but maybe not. We won't really know until the season comes.

All I'm trying to do right now is point out the potential issues this new system could have, and that people might not want to dive in, head first, into S7 and it's BP. Like, maybe save your coins until you get a feel for the new system and such to see if it's worth your time (and money).

Message 19 of 43 (270 Views)

@asukojo wrote:

@JonStriker126 The star system is confirmed, here is example of it:  

starSystem.PNG

10 stars = 1 level.  1 star equavalent with 3,000 BP points, that is 30,000 points, it's huge jump. They took average of 9,000 - 54,000.

Currently our point system is increasing every time, then reset. But it's getting harder to level up once you reach 54,000 points, it's painfull.

Especially when you can play consistently every week and trying to catch up on the last few weeks, you can't max out.

This system works well when you can consistenly play every day and every weeks.

If they took average consistently, I can see the grind feel more painfull.

All of that is a fair point. I even did mention the grindy nature of the 45K and 54K BP levels that I did not really care for. But, at least in the system, the BP levels weren't purely dependent on challenges you needed to complete. because, the reality is, there might be times you get days or weeks with challenges that Just don't appeal to you. Maybe you find them incredibly grindy, maybe they feature a legend you don't care for, maybe they feature a weapon you don't care for, whatever.

And, in the current system, you could ignore those and just play, if you chose to do so. Yes, it would make leveling up harder, at the higher experience levels, but if you played enough, it was possible to level those up without using the challenges. In this new system, We will not have that option. You will only be able to level up base solely on the challenges you get. And if you get too many that you don't want to complete (For whatever reason), then you're in a bit of a tough spot with the pass, as You might not be able to complete it or it might take you even longer to complete it, because you're playing an RNG game with What challenges you get and such.

There won't be that XP that to fall back on and that concerns me for the reasons I have mentioned above. Yes, The new system might be fine. It might feed your challenges that are easy and/or satisfying enough for players to do without much frustration or discouragement and That would be fantastic and I hope that is the case. I just worry that it may not be is all. I'm concerned and I'm expressing that here. But of course, as I said, I will reserve full judgment until we see it actually in action when the season launches.

Message 20 of 43 (269 Views)