Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Is Anthem REALLY all that bad?

by metaldevil61

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Is Anthem REALLY all that bad?

★★★★ Novice

I'd been wanting to play a game like Anthem for a long time and really had high hopes for it, yet unfortunately when it came out it's received nothing but bad reviews and people criticising it constantly.  I didn't end up buying it, and instead I bought The Division 2... Well, as much as that game received overwhelmingly positive reviews, I reached 'endgame' and was extremely bored.  It's unbelievably repetitive (IMO).

I've been wanting to bite the bullet and buy Anthem, although unfortunately all of these negative reviews are keeping me from buying.  What exactly is wrong with the game?  Ideally, I'm looking for a game where I can continue to make my character more powerful even once the main story has finished, although I keep hearing that Anthem's endgame is almost nonexistent... Is this true?

*TLDR:  Why has Anthem received such negative reviews?  What exactly is wrong with it?*

Message 1 of 13 (221 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★★★ Apprentice
I'm not here to talk anybody out of purchasing the game, but Anthem is in fact more repetitive that TD2. "Boring" is subjective. So, it's one of those decisions you shouldnt let the community make for you. I'd even go as far as to say if you want to buy it, buy it. Hell, if I'd bought mine on disc, I'd mail it to you for free.

View in thread

Message 2 of 13 (207 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Apprentice
I'm not here to talk anybody out of purchasing the game, but Anthem is in fact more repetitive that TD2. "Boring" is subjective. So, it's one of those decisions you shouldnt let the community make for you. I'd even go as far as to say if you want to buy it, buy it. Hell, if I'd bought mine on disc, I'd mail it to you for free.
Message 2 of 13 (208 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

The endgame isn't boring if you are a proud member of the infamous Destiny Gjallarhorn search.............play forever hoping for a drop that might happen...........

Message 3 of 13 (201 Views)

★★★★ Novice
The game is awesome. And so many of my old buddies are playing that i havnt gamed with in 10+ years.
The amount of bandwagon hate that this game has received is unreal. just unreal.
I love it
Message 4 of 13 (192 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Novice

OP, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cChru_ufYDY

and read this: https://kotaku.com/how-biowares-anthem-went-wrong-1833731964

I feel for the devs; they went through hell, and I understand why the game is in the state it's in after reading that article. I have roughly 200 hours in the game and can't find a reason to continue playing. No promise of what's to come or upcoming updates convinces me that it's worth playing anymore. I gave it plenty of chances. The missions are mindless and repetitive, and I never get a sense of accomplishment. The loot problems keep me from wanting to play, and loot is the biggest reason to play the game after the story ends. Flying around feels great, but that's it. Mind you: the version available today is miles better than the Feb 22nd release, but it's still a barely-working product.

If you're looking to buy it, I'd advise you to save your money. However, if you buy an RTX card, and if it still has the offer for a free copy of Anthem, I say go for it and see for yourself. That's the only reason I got Anthem. It was either this or Battlefield V.

Message 5 of 13 (172 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Save your money.

Message 6 of 13 (160 Views)

★★ Guide

I love the game....It is a very grindy grind in the end.
There is a ton of challenges to do.

There are 4 Javelins to level up and master.

I've got a butt ton of hours into the game so I think I've got my moneys worth out of my purchase.
The game is getting better and all future content is free.
If I had it to do over again I would still buy the game.

Message 7 of 13 (151 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Arguably, the article that just came out on Kotaku (is that spelled right lol) highlights a lot of these issues, but from the top of my head, the game devs had zero idea what they were making, so development was nonexistant until like a year before it shipped. What we got then, was a buggy, incomplete mess of a game that still, has good potential, but very little liklihood it will ever live up to either its potential or the hype that was generated around it unless BioWare pulls a Titanic sized rabbit out of its hat

Message 8 of 13 (142 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@JB_Rotten wrote:

The endgame isn't boring if you are a proud member of the infamous Destiny Gjallarhorn search.............play forever hoping for a drop that might happen...........

What end game? I mean other than grinding to max gear score for no reason other than to grind to max gear level.

The best way I can explain the end game in this game:

The only reason the drop rate issue is an issue at all is because that's literally the end game. There is no new content to unlock once you get a certain gear score, the achievements for getting all of one gear score dont seem to work (Im at masterwork and I looked and all those challenges are not completed), theres no actual in game REASON to continue playing the game once you hit 30. OTHER than to grind the same three instances and run the same few missions youve already run in the hopes of getting good enough drops to get to GM1 where you get all the loot, where you grind the same three instances and run the same few missions youve already run in the hopes of getting good enough drops to get to GM2. Then you get to grind the same three instances and run the same few missions youve already run in the hopes of getting good enough drops to get to GM3, but at a much harder difficulty, but for seemingly the same weighted loot as in GM1. THEN you get to get into GM3 where you get to grind the same three instances and run the same few missions youve already run... to get the best gear.... for why exactly?

Message 9 of 13 (134 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Division 2 is opening world tier 5 in 8 hours, which is considered the real endgame. It also gets patched and balanced.

Stay with division for a bit longer. This way you can get Anthem cheaper in a much better state. If you find division 2 repetitive, then you will smack your head on the table when you reach Anthems endgame. It's 1/10 of it.

Anthem is just not ready for a general recommendation at this point.

Message 10 of 13 (122 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help