Re: Iron Crown Event: Is it a predatory monetisation tactic?

by Wingmannedbro

Original Post

Iron Crown Event: Is it a predatory monetisation tactic?

★ Guide

Please note: This post isn't meant to dissuade players from making their own choices. I am merely providing my opinion through criticising the developers' use of shady business tactics to swindle players out of their money. I also posted this in the Feedback sub-forum, however wanted to see if it would more likely encourage voicing opinions here in the General Discussion thread.

I pose to you a question...

Who is the biggest enemy players must face in Apex Legends?

The biggest enemy players have to face in Apex Legends is not the better skilled players who always join in as a well co-ordinated team.

It's not that one guy who gets all the good loot as soon as they hit the ground at the start of the match after landing right in front of you when you only get left a Mozambique and a dozen level one sniper stocks.

It's not that one player with 10,000+ kills in possession of a backpack and guns full of level 4 items.

It's not even the leviathans that step on you.

No it's none of them.

The biggest enemy every single player has to deal with is EA.

This is clearly evident from what can be seen in this latest Iron Crown update.

EA & Respawn are blatantly presenting the community of Apex Legends, there entire player base, with despicable predatory monetisation tactics.

For those who aren't aware of the pricing for the new event items, allow me to briefly explain it here;

Crowns (yet another in-game currency) are earned through playing the event, but only a total of 120 Crowns can be earned though said gameplay.

All other crowns can only be earned through event specific apex packs.

Each event apex pack costs an average of $7 with each pack giving only a 50% chance at providing an event skin or item.

In total any player will have to spend around $150-160 in order to get enough event packs to obtain every event item available during the event.

Then and only then are you given the "opportunity" to purchase... yes that's right, PURCHASE, as in spend even more money on, a preview for Bloodhound's heirloom set.

Also bare in mind the fact this this additional purchasable content is merely just a preview. A PREVIEW!

It is not the entirety of Bloodhound's heirloom set. Just a single melee skin... FOR $35!

So you would still have to open at least 500 loot boxes in order to be guaranteed the set.

But oh wait... they're not loot boxes are they. They're "surprise mechanics".

No.

What's surprising is how EA is allowed to get away with what essentially amounts to encourage people to participate in acts that are tantamount gambling. 

Sure EA's representatives, lawyers and defence team in the ESA will tell you no, it's not gambling. However, that doesn't change the fact that this form of monetisation scheme is malicious on the most fundamental of levels.

The worst people affected by this can essentially boil down to tree types of individual. The young, the malleable and you.

The young, mostly children and the early teen demographic, are persuaded into spending money on things like skins for what $20 each,  with their common to legendary tier system to make it seem like it's the only way to experience some form of success in games like Apex Legends. 

And the malleable? Well they're the ones EA takes advantage of through their susceptibility to gambling or those who may have addiction problems and are the clearly the most exploitable victims of this system.

Then there's you. The average generic consumer who must specifically fork out on your hard earned money just to obtain something you think looks nice in a game you enjoy to spend time on.

Fun Fact EA: Not everyone can afford to spend $200 on cosmetic dlc!

If you want to see a larger profit overall, then things have to be better affordable to your consumers. Otherwise the only people you truly sell a product to are the rich and the vulnerable with compulsive personalities.

EA would see a much higher growth rate in their profits if they actually considered pricing their products to anything that can be considered even remotely fair.

So we as a community need to call this for what it is. Consumer exploitation through the use of predatory monetisation tactics. Heck, all you have to do is take one look at the Apex Legends subreddit right now to find that the majority of the community aren't talking about the bug fixes and core gameplay improvements. No, they're discussing their disgust at the developers' attempt to make money off of them because they enjoy the game.

I, like many others who share these thoughts on the matter, would advise players to not encourage this dreadful display of greed by EA and Respawn.

Hey Respawn, want to know how you capitalise?

This is it... "REspAwn - Creators of EApex Legends".

Message 1 of 23 (957 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

> only a 50% chance at providing an event skin or item.

Isn't it more like 50/50 on getting legendary or epic, but for sure you get 1 of the 24 items? Or I misunderstand what you mean here.

Other than that - would love to see how much money they do on this model...

Message 2 of 23 (905 Views)

★ Guide
@iamblindsonoaim To be perfectly honest with you I'm not 100% sure on the drop chances as I haven't actually opened any event specific apex packs myself as of yet. But yes I think you are correct in your thinking.

Based on what I've read in-game through the "more details" section of the event store, along with multiple discussions on Apex Legends' subreddit on the matter. I believe the correct drop rate is 1 epic or legendary event item, with 2 lots of the new crowns currency per pack. Therefore amounting to 24 event loot boxes being required for all event specific content.

Message 3 of 23 (881 Views)

★ Guide

It's "monetization", not monetisation

Message 4 of 23 (862 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@dtOddity92 wrote:

Please note: This post isn't meant to dissuade players from making their own choices. I am merely providing my opinion through criticising the developers' use of shady business tactics to swindle players out of their money. I also posted this in the Feedback sub-forum, however wanted to see if it would more likely encourage voicing opinions here in the General Discussion thread.

I pose to you a question...

Who is the biggest enemy players must face in Apex Legends?

The biggest enemy players have to face in Apex Legends is not the better skilled players who always join in as a well co-ordinated team.

It's not that one guy who gets all the good loot as soon as they hit the ground at the start of the match after landing right in front of you when you only get left a Mozambique and a dozen level one sniper stocks.

It's not that one player with 10,000+ kills in possession of a backpack and guns full of level 4 items.

It's not even the leviathans that step on you.

No it's none of them.

The biggest enemy every single player has to deal with is EA.

This is clearly evident from what can be seen in this latest Iron Crown update.

EA & Respawn are blatantly presenting the community of Apex Legends, there entire player base, with despicable predatory monetisation tactics.

For those who aren't aware of the pricing for the new event items, allow me to briefly explain it here;

Crowns (yet another in-game currency) are earned through playing the event, but only a total of 120 Crowns can be earned though said gameplay.

All other crowns can only be earned through event specific apex packs.

Each event apex pack costs an average of $7 with each pack giving only a 50% chance at providing an event skin or item.

In total any player will have to spend around $150-160 in order to get enough event packs to obtain every event item available during the event.

Then and only then are you given the "opportunity" to purchase... yes that's right, PURCHASE, as in spend even more money on, a preview for Bloodhound's heirloom set.

Also bare in mind the fact this this additional purchasable content is merely just a preview. A PREVIEW!

It is not the entirety of Bloodhound's heirloom set. Just a single melee skin... FOR $35!

So you would still have to open at least 500 loot boxes in order to be guaranteed the set.

But oh wait... they're not loot boxes are they. They're "surprise mechanics".

No.

What's surprising is how EA is allowed to get away with what essentially amounts to encourage people to participate in acts that are tantamount gambling. 

Sure EA's representatives, lawyers and defence team in the ESA will tell you no, it's not gambling. However, that doesn't change the fact that this form of monetisation scheme is malicious on the most fundamental of levels.

The worst people affected by this can essentially boil down to tree types of individual. The young, the malleable and you.

The young, mostly children and the early teen demographic, are persuaded into spending money on things like skins for what $20 each,  with their common to legendary tier system to make it seem like it's the only way to experience some form of success in games like Apex Legends. 

And the malleable? Well they're the ones EA takes advantage of through their susceptibility to gambling or those who may have addiction problems and are the clearly the most exploitable victims of this system.

Then there's you. The average generic consumer who must specifically fork out on your hard earned money just to obtain something you think looks nice in a game you enjoy to spend time on.

Fun Fact EA: Not everyone can afford to spend $200 on cosmetic dlc!

If you want to see a larger profit overall, then things have to be better affordable to your consumers. Otherwise the only people you truly sell a product to are the rich and the vulnerable with compulsive personalities.

EA would see a much higher growth rate in their profits if they actually considered pricing their products to anything that can be considered even remotely fair.

So we as a community need to call this for what it is. Consumer exploitation through the use of predatory monetisation tactics. Heck, all you have to do is take one look at the Apex Legends subreddit right now to find that the majority of the community aren't talking about the bug fixes and core gameplay improvements. No, they're discussing their disgust at the developers' attempt to make money off of them because they enjoy the game.

I, like many others who share these thoughts on the matter, would advise players to not encourage this dreadful display of greed by EA and Respawn.

Hey Respawn, want to know how you capitalise?

This is it... "REspAwn - Creators of EApex Legends".

So, I took the time to read this post thoroughly. I agree that if those costs you've provided are true, which I haven't seen for myself but I'll take your word for it, they do seem to be very expensive. From what I've read you seem to be making out that E.A./Respawn are doing something wrong. I can't agree. They are a business, out to make money, pure and simple. Now if they choose make a product, set it at a price, and offer it to customers, then it's all down to the customers. If it's too expensive, don't buy it. If someone has a gambling addiction ect, it's not E.A. fault, it's down to that individual to take responsibility for their own actions and seek help. If young people are buying things they shouldn't in the game, it's down to parents or them selves to ensure they are being sensible about their purchases.  All they have given  you is a product, at a set price. You know that you're buying. If this marketing tactic doesn't work, people won't buy it, and they'll change their tactic. Personally, I've only paid for the two battlepasses, and currently have enough points to buy the third without spending any more money. Basically my point is this, if you want the better skin, then you have to pay the price they've set for it. And you do this by choice. The game plays perfectly well without buying anything. 

Message 5 of 23 (759 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

We in here talkin' 'bout cosmetics? I mean...listen! We talkin' 'bout cosmetics? Not a Game, Not a Game! Not a game! We talkin' 'bout Cosmetics Man!  How silly is that?!

I just don't care about what cosmetics cost.

-points for anyone that gets this reference

Message 6 of 23 (845 Views)

★ Guide

@GRiPSViGiL wrote:

We in here talkin' 'bout cosmetics? I mean...listen! We talkin' 'bout cosmetics? Not a Game, Not a Game! Not a game! We talkin' 'bout Cosmetics Man!  How silly is that?!

Seriously, I can't believe people cry so much over loot packs.  Those are the teenagers, they have no concept of the value of money cause mommies credit card buys them the loot packs. 

Message 7 of 23 (838 Views)

★★★ Expert

@unferthington wrote:

@GRiPSViGiL wrote:

Seriously, I can't believe people cry so much over loot packs.  Those are the teenagers, they have no concept of the value of money cause mommies credit card buys them the loot packs. 

I doubt any teens out there can actually convince their mothers to spend more than a week worth of groceries for the family for a couple of Apex skins.

Unless they are rich af, but then they would just buy it with their daily allowance.

Message 8 of 23 (821 Views)

★ Guide

@Wingmannedbro wrote:

@unferthington wrote:

@GRiPSViGiL wrote:

I doubt any teens out there can actually convince their mothers to spend more than a week worth of groceries for the family for a couple of Apex skins.

Unless they are rich af, but then they would just buy it with their daily allowance.

I just looked at the prices of the Iron Crown stuff, yeah it's crazy.  I would buy those legendary Iron Crown skins, but only for like $10 each at most.  $18 or $20 or whatever it is, is too crazy.  And I don't play loot crate lotto. 

Message 9 of 23 (803 Views)

★★★★ Guide

"Iron Crown Event: Is it a predatory monetisation tactic?"

lol, it's not like fifa or hs where you need to pay to play at a decent rank, op is talking about skins for heroes in a fps (we don't even see them LOL)

Message 10 of 23 (712 Views)