Re: Introducing the EA Anti-cheat (EAAC)

by XHelperZ

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Introducing the EA Anti-cheat (EAAC)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Source: https://www.ea.com/security/amp/news/eaac-deep-dive

EA Anti-cheat or EAAC uses kernel-level access just like what they’re doing with Valorant. According to EA’s press release, this will be available on all online PC games starting with FIFA 23. No info if it’s gonna be available for past games like Apex.

Why is kernel level anti-cheat needed? 

This varies on a game-by-game basis. For games that are highly competitive and contain many online modes like FIFA 23, kernel-mode protection is absolutely vital. When cheat programs operate in kernel space, they can make their cheat functionally invisible to anti-cheat solutions that live in user-mode. Unfortunately, the last few years have seen a large increase in cheats and cheat techniques operating in kernel-mode, so the only reliable way to detect and block these is to have our anti-cheat operate there as well. 

With FIFA 23, we’ll see new and exciting cross-play features. In addition to EAAC protecting our PC players from cheaters, our console players who match with PC opponents will also be protected from cheaters operating on PC platforms. “

Apex Legends/Respawn introduced a new anti-cheat software 2 months ago ( https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/Respawn-secretly-investing-more-in-anti-cheat-software/... ) as well with Hyperion. Valorant’s kernel-level anti-cheat while better than most anti-cheat softwares, can still have cheats. To clarify, EAAC is just for PC.

Do you think this a good step to stop at least the basic level cheaters? Some are arguing kernel level access is too invasive. 

CE902570-0D3C-4C78-AD0B-32273B32E409.jpeg

Message 1 of 18 (3,446 Views)

Accepted Solution

Champion

Kernel level access is pretty much becoming a standard now.

There's not much that can be done against cheaters nowadays, this is IMO the best step to take.

Good to see them taking some major steps against cheaters.

View in thread

Message 2 of 18 (3,428 Views)

All Replies

Champion

Kernel level access is pretty much becoming a standard now.

There's not much that can be done against cheaters nowadays, this is IMO the best step to take.

Good to see them taking some major steps against cheaters.

Message 2 of 18 (3,429 Views)

★★★★★ Pro
@Cheese9Man I’m very happy that they are actually working to combat cheaters, but I would love to see a little more in the form of detecting strike packs, which are very well hidden, all to easy to get your hands on. Happy with the step in the right direction tho.
Message 3 of 18 (3,399 Views)

Considering this is the main reason I refuse to play Valorant, it looks like my Apex days may soon be coming to an end. Giving third-party programs access to your kernel doesn't sit well with me, especially considering these businesses have been hacked before.

Message 4 of 18 (3,398 Views)

Message 5 of 18 (3,382 Views)

★ Pro
@Cheese9Man This is what they did (kernel level anticheat) on Warzone and I have to say, it did help. Although, it didn't completely eradicate the problem.
Message 6 of 18 (3,344 Views)

While I saw a lot of complaints about Valorant's kernel level AC, it certainly doesn't seem to have affected its popularity very much.

Message 7 of 18 (3,242 Views)

@pandareno1999 If there's anything that Diablo Immortal Infinite Inescapble's monetization has shown, it's that nothing video game developers do (outside of NFTs, possibly) can affect their popularity anymore.
Message 8 of 18 (3,230 Views)

The main question I ask myself, knowing the huge impact on my gaming laptop any kernel bugs could introduce (including permanently bricking it, causing it to overheat, etc.), is whether EA has a good track record in putting quality assurance and their customers ahead of profits. For me, the answer is clear. Not everyone will share my cynical viewpoint, of course, but my laptop is more valuable to me than a f2p video game I've invested maybe $100 on.

Message 9 of 18 (3,225 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@LaughingSharko Does these kernel level software decrease the game’s performance if let’s say you're in mid-low spec pc?
Message 10 of 18 (3,213 Views)