★★ Expert

@Jimmahwd 

Ping muted Wink

Heart

Message 11 of 19 (307 Views)

Re: Install cap on ping spams.

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

A lot of ppl think that ping spamming the enemy gives you "useful" information of his location (well it is useful, but not that much more useful than pinging the enemy only when he does something unexpected). They never think that they take away audio cues from you by pinging too much. Such ppl just need some gameplay education.

As for banner ping spam - those ppl just get a ping mute from me - I'm not interested in anything they're going to ping from that point on, since they clearly have no intention of doing anything useful with that thing.

P.S. It would be nice if banner ping sound was changed to something less loud and less annoying. Currently it's the most "urgent" sounding ping in the game - that's just not right.

Cap on pinging would probably not be a good idea, since sometimes you do need to ping a lot (e.g., ping all good items from a box, or quickly ping locations of 5 enemies (and often pinging enemy result in double ping (normal ping + specific enemy ping)).

Message 12 of 19 (303 Views)

★★ Expert

@Biochemikas 

+1

But maybe a ping cap, of let's say 20, once you are knocked. Might work. Couldn't say I have ever pinged 20 times once knocked unless I'm raging cause of an incompetent tmate..lol

Heart

Message 13 of 19 (285 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

I definitely ping the enemies more than 20 times when I'm knocked (sometimes, especially when there are multiple squads and they're moving like crazy). And I'm not spamming.

A time limited ping cap (e.g., 20 per 5 seconds) could still be problematic in some situations and would also not save you from some brief megaspam.

If the pinging is not useful, then mute is the only solution, there's really no need for workarounds.

I wish there was a button to quick mute everything coming from teammates, just so that you can do that when you feel like you need to concentrate and then you can unmute them as quickly when the situation is over.

I often switch voice channel to mute with the button in PubG if my teammates are too chatty and I'm engaging an enemy and then just unmute after it's over. Simple and convenient. The way to mute pings in Apex currently is a bit too hidden and takes too much time - it's kind of a one-time permanent solution, not a toggle on/off thing as it is now.

It's always better to have too many hotkey shortcut options than too few (if nobody needs em - they won't use em, still no harm in having em). Standard smile

Message 14 of 19 (283 Views)

★★ Expert

20 per 5secs..ping muted..lol

Heart

Message 15 of 19 (267 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

I've encountered a lot of players who didn't get it with just one ping, as they were focused on fighting. Some of them pushed back only when I ping spammed the enemy that was approaching from behind. 

5-6 seconds cooldown would be a problem when there's a pile of deathboxes around or when the teammate's banner has to be retrieved from a multi storey building and the ring is closing fast or the banner is just about to time out.

Also, it's the only form of interaction a dead man has. Let them sing their death song in morse code and mute them if they become annoying.

An alternative could also be to have a limited number of free banner pings (like 5 or so) and the next ones to bring the timeout closer by 5-10 seconds each. This way, the abusers will see themselves out, hehe. On the other hand, rage quitters will abuse this to avoid leaver penalty... 

...Damn bad players, ruining every game feature!

Message 16 of 19 (264 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

@DoYaSeeMeDunno, as a MOBA player, I'm kind of used to typing a lot and often. And typing is still allowed when dead.

(But of course if they don't react to a ping, they 100% won't read the text XD).

Message 17 of 19 (255 Views)

★★★ Expert
@Biochemikas Pinging is faster than typing, especially when you're running around. Ping spamming is similar to the helmet tapping used in the military Standard smile

Another issue with ping cooldown is when you do a wrong ping. If cancelling would skip the cooldown, then annoying players would have a workaround to keep behaving badly.

Message 18 of 19 (252 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

@DoYaSeeMe I sometimes spam ping enemy when I think they're in a spot my teammates may not find him, but I still think it's a very bad habit. Pings are loud af and too much of them is annoying, distracting and muffles all other sounds a lot.

1-2/second is more than enough (even though it's sometimes so hard to do when you want to just go 10/sec XD).

As for cooldown on pings, I agree - nothing good can come out of it, it's just a bad idea.

Message 19 of 19 (244 Views)