[Info] Rocket Arena Ranked Play

by EA_Leeloo

Original Post

[Info] Rocket Arena Ranked Play

Community Manager (retired)

Everything You Need to Know About Competitive Play in Rocket Arena.

Hello Tour Competitors! 

I’m Kyle K (Pravda), a Game Designer here at Final Strike Games, and I’m here to tell you about the Ranked system in Rocket Arena! In this post we’ll go over how Ranked works, the differences between Social and Ranked, our design philosophies and goals for it.

Rocket Arena blasts off with a Ranked Preseason on launch day, July 14th. Season 1 will officially begin two weeks after launch on July 28th.

GOALS FOR RANKED

We believe Rocket Arena has awesome competitive gameplay in both Social or Ranked environments. In Social playlists, games are plenty sweaty, but we’re ok with them being a little more over the top and playful experiences. However, for Ranked, we want to give players looking for competition a more even playing field to test their skills in. 

Our goal is to provide the best, most competitive Ranked experience for players, so we’ve focused on removing randomness and adjusting other elements that don’t support the idea of an even playing field.  We’ve done our best to preserve as much of the core Rocket Arena gameplay as possible to ensure that Ranked is an absolute blast to play!

We also wanted to make sure that players have something to strive for, so we’ve added 50 Ranks for you to climb. We’ve put a lot of work into matchmaking as well to make sure everyone is matched appropriately and having fun.

HOW RANKED WORKS

Seasons

The Ranked playlist will be available to everyone at the launch of Rocket Arena with no prerequisites! This means players do not have to meet any level or progress requirements and can enter the Ranked playlist immediately and start blasting!

The first two weeks after launch will be a Ranked Preseason. The Preseason will give players a chance to learn the ropes of how our Ranked systems work, and will allow us to keep an eye on how those systems are performing and to listen to your feedback.

Season 1 will officially start on July 28th and all ranks will be reset. So, practice up, and then get ready to GO GET YOUR 50

Ranks

Rocket Arena’s Ranked system has 50 ranks for players to climb, each with a unique associated Ranked Badge. All players will start at Rank 1 at the beginning of every Season and can progress their Rank by playing in the Ranked playlist.  

menu-01-12.png.adapt.crop16x9.1023w.png

All 50 Season 1 Ranked Badges

Gaining Rank is easy -- win games!  The more games you win, the more your Rank will increase. However, your rank can also decrease if you start losing too much. In Rocket Arena, unlike some ranked systems in other games, if you keep losing, you can keep dropping Rank.  So get ready to prove you have what it takes to stay at the top!

With the start of every new Season, all Ranks will be reset.

Rank Calculations

How far a player can climb in Rank depends on their own personal Skill value. Skill is a behind-the-scenes value, similar to MMR in other games, and is part of how we measure a player’s ability and where we should matchmake them. Like Rank, Skill is on the same 1-50 scale. We calculate Skill separately from Rank and can narrow in and update it fairly quickly to help ensure better matches. 

At the start of a Season, your Rank will start at 1 and we will calculate your Skill value based on your performance. Your Skill will initially be higher than your Rank, and by winning games, your Rank will eventually converge with your Skill. If you keep winning, your Rank can even surpass it!

We will keep an eye on how easy or difficult it is to rank up during Season 1 and adjust values as needed for future Seasons to make sure ranking up is achievable but still challenging.

Quit Penalty

Starting with the release of Season 1 on July 28th, there will be a penalty for players who leave games. Leaving a game will count as a loss for your Rank.

Matchmaking

We do our best to ensure players are getting the best Rocket Arena experience possible and attempt to match players of similar ability together. In Ranked play, our systems will try to only match players with others who are within a certain Rank and Skill range. 

We also prioritize matching parties with other parties. We matchmake parties based on the average Rank and Skill of the players in the party, so if your friends are higher ranked than you, prepare for a fight! 

We will monitor queue times and adjust values accordingly so players are getting into games relatively quickly while trying to maintain as much fairness as possible.

RANKED GAMEPLAY CHANGES

Artifacts

Artifacts in Rocket Arena are gameplay altering objects that players can equip to each of their Competitors. Each Competitor can have 3 unique Artifacts equipped at one time, and different Artifacts equipped to each Competitor. At launch, 22 Artifacts will be available.

artifacts-calendar-2.png.adapt.crop16x9.1023w.png

All 22 launch Artifacts

In Social playlists, each Artifact has 3 levels, and players must acquire and level them up by playing games. However, in Ranked play, all Artifacts are unlocked immediately, set at a single Ranked level, and cannot be leveled up.

As Ranked play is all about competition, we do not want to give an unfair advantage to players with more time to unlock and level Artifacts, and we feel that providing all Artifacts in Ranked from day one is the best way to ensure this.  Having a single Ranked level for each Artifact also lets us fine-tune the Ranked experience more carefully without affecting Social play. 

rankedartifacts-logo.png.adapt.crop16x9.1023w.png

Artifacts are set to a single Ranked level in Ranked playlists

Generally, our philosophy is to allow Artifacts in Social to be a little stronger than Ranked Artifacts as we intend Social to be more over-the-top and focused on fun and crazy moments. It is important to us to reward Social players for putting in the work to unlock and level up their Artifacts. 

The good news is that players do still earn XP in Ranked, so they will be unlocking and leveling up Artifacts for use in Social playlists. Our goal is to have players be able to hop between Ranked and Social without feeling like they’re behind.

Items

Items in Rocket Arena are in-game objects that can be picked up and used during the match In Social playlists, all Items are random and are inside of Random Item Boxes.

Starting with the release of Season 1 on July 28th, Items in Ranked will not be random and instead the same Item will spawn in the same location every time. Players will also see the Item itself on the spawn point instead of a Random Item Box. Additionally, only a subset of items will be available in Ranked play, with the Speed Boost, Bomb, Trip Mine, and Magnet Items available at the start of Season 1. Finally, Item-granting Artifacts will now only choose from the list of available Ranked Items.

bomb-logo.png.adapt.crop16x9.1023w.png

Items are visible and in fixed positions in Ranked Playlists

Our goal with Ranked is to provide a consistent experience across games, so removing any randomness in Items is crucial. We also want players to know exactly what item they will be picking up, so displaying the Item itself is very important as well. Finally, removing some of the more over-the-top Items from Ranked further promotes our goals of consistency and fairness.  

Map and Mode Selection

The modes available in the Ranked playlist are currently Knockout, Rocketball, and Mega Rocket. Like the Social Arena playlist, the game will be chosen from the list of available maps and modes. However, the maps and mode combinations in Ranked are a subset of what is available in Social playlists. 

Differences in geometry can favor one team spawn over the other, so we’ve only chosen the map and mode combinations that play the most consistently.  For example, we try to make sure one team doesn’t start with a power position in Knockout and only choose symmetrical maps in Rocketball.   

Finally, while we love Treasure Hunt and believe it can be very competitive game mode, after much debate, we feel it is currently best suited to a less stressful environment and have decided to let players collect all the coins they want in Social playlists.  

If you have feedback about certain map and mode combinations, or feel that your Rank should also reflect your ability to dominate opponents in Treasure Hunt, please let us know, especially during the Preseason! Going forward, we will continue to listen to the community and adjust maps and modes as the Seasons progress.  

LET’S ROCKET

Hopefully this post has helped explain our Ranked system and given you some insight into our design philosophies. Going forward, it is our goal to listen to the community and continue to mold our Ranked experience into something special for every competitive player.

We’re super excited about Ranked and can’t wait to share it with you! Hit us up on social media and let us know what you think!

NOW GO GET YOUR 50!

promo-03.png.adapt.crop16x9.1023w.png

Source: ea.com

Leeloo.png

Stay and Play.png
Message 1 of 28 (24,031 Views)

Re: [Info] Rocket Arena Ranked Play

★★ Apprentice
@EA_Leeloo They've hit the nail on the head with their implementation of ranked. Very excited and happy to see this.
Message 2 of 28 (23,981 Views)

It's nice to see we're able to afford the odd lose or two before losing rank - Getting legend in Destiny 2 was awful because skill levels weren't factored in and your teammates without streaks would just drop out and leave you with the penalties

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Don't be sad, this is just how it works out sometimes
Message 3 of 28 (23,936 Views)

@SereneSl0th @TTZ_Dipsy I'm delighted to hear you're liking ranked play! It's always a bit of a tricky one to get right but I like that you get a 'grace period' before dropping ranks (that's defo good news for me Large smile).
How are you finding the matchmaking? Standard smile 

Leeloo.png

Stay and Play.png
Message 4 of 28 (23,880 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@EA_LeelooI understand the reasoning of making ranked accessible for everyone but it sucks in the beginning at least that you (can) play with someone who just picked up the game while you have several tens of hours in it.

Had two matches earlier. One person seemingly never played rocketbal as he did not throw the ball on multiple occasions and instead ran like an NFL player straight to 3 guys shooting at him... Multiple times... Only towards the end of the match did I see him throw the ball... XD

Other match in megabomb, I on 3 occasions had to capture the bomb alone with 3 enemies on point while my teammates kept firing from a distance... Even when I got knocked they just kept firing instead of getting on the point...

Makes one kinda not want to play ranked as it seems like I'm playing casual but with an actual loss to be had (if this happens in season 1).

Message 5 of 28 (23,853 Views)

Hey @Koochi-Q, thanks for the feedback, I'll pass it on! Standard smile

I get that it can be frustrating when your teammates don't have the same focus but, right now, it might still be the 'getting used to everything and just blast off a lot of rockets' phase because the game is still shiny & new and it's still pre-season. I'm sure this will get better though! Standard smile If you are worried about Ranked Play in Season 1, maybe check out this article for some info on this.

- Leeloo

Leeloo.png

Stay and Play.png
Message 6 of 28 (23,817 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

As I noted in a separate thread I just made, I'm not a fan of ranked comprising different game modes. Each mode is too different from the others. They should be separate ranked modes on their own.

You just get used to playing one mode and then the next ranked match you get is a completely different mode with completely different objectives and a completely different way of playing.

There's no way a single ranked score can encompass all the modes as they're so different in terms of play style and skills needed.

Message 7 of 28 (23,798 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@Comixfan A true athlete is versed in many scenarios pertaining to his expertise.

I think it's a good idea to have multiple modes instead of one because it'd get stale real quickly. Maybe a scheduele of gamemodes based on time would work for you? But then the same argument of yours apply that you might get in the zone and suddenly gamemode changes...

@EA_Leeloo always the drawback playing with randoms... Hopefully thats soon dealt with for me tho...
Message 8 of 28 (23,780 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Having multiple modes is fine, but not all in the same ranked queue. There should be separate queues for Ranked Knockout, Ranked Megarocket, and Ranked Rocketball.

And, as I noted previously, there's no way a single ranked score can encompass those 3 different modes simply due to the fact that they are so different.

Someone might be good at Rocketball but not at Knockout. Another might be good at Megarocket but not Rocketball. How can one ranked score possibly cover all the modes?

Other multiplayer competitive games like Overwatch and Apex Legends don't have different modes in a given ranked queue. Overwatch even has separate ranked queues for Role Queue, Open Queue, Elimination, Deathmatch, Lucioball, etc.

Message 9 of 28 (23,741 Views)

★ Apprentice

I do think you should consider individual performance when it comes to ranked. Most games are starting to implement this, and win/loss ratio is not a true indicator of player skill all of the time.

Message 10 of 28 (23,715 Views)